Stop using money as an excuse!!

Canezum5

Senior
Premium
Why do we ALWAYS use money as an excuse? It's absurd to me. I'll be honest. I was naive to the administrative piece of football for a while. At least up until I was about 22( I'm 33 now).

Although, I understand a lot more, about football administrative procedures these days, I still can't see money as an excuse not to field a better product.

If someone can explain to me how schools like Boise, App State, Wisconsin, now UCF, **** I feel like West Virginia is better at finding coaches than Miami.

Are these school budgets soo much bigger than UMs?

Or do these administration's under stand their brand, their recruiting geography, and match the coach to this understanding?

What gives? What can't Miami find great coaches that fit Miami football, consistently?

Advertisement
Vine Ok GIF

Money will prevent UM from hiring a a good, established, proven coach.

UM just screws up the hiring process every single time because everyone involved is a ******.

Its not a herculean task to research and find suitable coaches with legitimate success at previous stops. The admin just aren't capable of doing it.

Its also not a problem exclusive to Miami. Houston hired D'Onofrio. LSU hired Baker. Once you get your foot in the door, you'll be able to keep bouncing around. Just like Manny will.

Why do we ALWAYS use money as an excuse? It's absurd to me. I'll be honest. I was naive to the administrative piece of football for a while. At least up until I was about 22( I'm 33 now).

Although, I understand a lot more, about football administrative procedures these days, I still can't see money as an excuse not to field a better product.

If someone can explain to me how schools like Boise, App State, Wisconsin, now UCF, **** I feel like West Virginia is better at finding coaches than Miami.

Or do these administration's under stand their brand, their recruiting geography, and match the coach to this understanding?

What gives? What can't Miami find great coaches that fit Miami football, consistently?
You do realize Wisconsin pays their coach over $4M a year. Manny is at $3.1M lol He would be number 14 in the Big 10 above only Mike Locksley. He would be second to last in the SEC ahead of Vandy’s coach, Manny ranks around 50th in the country in terms of Head coach salaries. At the bottom of the P5. We’re penny penching on coaches and wanting $100 results lol. This is Miami. The administration isn’t serious about winning football championships. If you don’t think money matters your crazy Af!

Advertisement
You do realize Wisconsin pays their coach over $4M a year. Manny is at $3.1M lol He would be number 14 in the Big 10 above only Mike Locksley. He would be second to last in the SEC ahead of Vandy’s coach, Manny ranks around 50th in the country in terms of Head coach salaries. At the bottom of the P5. We’re penny penching on coaches and wanting $100 results lol. This is Miami. The administration isn’t serious about winning football championships. If you don’t think money matters your crazy Af!
This is why the 20 minute coaching search was a failure from the start. If we are going to penny pinch at least find someone at the group of 5 level who has proven results. Find a guy who has proven to be able to do more with less and take your shot.

I know it’s not a guarantee but how many coaching hires are! Unless your grabbing Saban or Meyer it’s a crap shoot. At least do some research first not just say well he made our defense better. No crap Blake did you watch Dnofrio.

We like to hire rookie HC corches who were asst off the previous staff, if the HC left or was fired be damned.. Then even worse we pay **** for asst for many years and can barely get a quality staff together, we arent paying what big boys are for top asst. This has been known for years, only recently have we stepped up but its an arms race, yesterdays price is not todays price.. We cheap af and we run like a mom and pop shop while others are running like a conglomerate.. "oh mary sue left, go see if uncle cleafus wants a job, I know he can barely see n hear but we keep it all in the family"

On one point, you do understand that UCF is the largest university in America?

Advertisement

How quickly do the schools you list call for a coach’s head after an 8 won season? Most coaches don’t want to get fired in year 4.

How many students attend those schools vs Miami? Miami has a small student and alumni base.

How many of those schools have their local talent picked clean by the top programs in the country?

We paid Richt over $4m a year. We could pay up to $5m a year for a proven head coach. Manny is not one of those so he makes less.

Manny makes what He makes because He's paying off His buyout from Temple. If He didn't have to pay His buyout He would be making in the $4M neighborhood.

Advertisement

When Oregon hired Cristobal, it was for about 2.7 million, so less than Diaz. Richt was making about 4.1 million before his extension through 2023, most coaches don't negotiate their salary down in contract extensions so he likely was getting a bump up to about 4.7 million (and possibly up to around 5 million). Cristobal just got an extension that pays him an average of $4.55 million a year through 2025 (it goes up each year through 2025). That means almost 3 years ago, Richt was going to have an average annual salary that was MORE than Cristobal's new average salary through 2025. Oh and throw on top of Richt's 4.7-5 million another 1.5 million that was supposed to go to hiring a top OC.

Stop with the Miami doesn't pay coaches nonsense.

Advertisement

To find great coaches, one must first actively look for great coaches. Not just a lazy weekend afternoon job search. Or hiring from within because that's what the players want. Or hiring a former player because that's what alumni want. Or being cheap and spending on a guy with a light resume who you can sell as an "up-and-comer". An honest to God, diligent search for a quality HC. Hasn't happened under Blake.

BTW, we're playing a team this weekend that apparently pays their HC (Mel Tucker) $5.5 million per year. I am sure UM could afford spending in the $4.5 million/year range (at least, and possibly more). But does the university actually want to spend that money on a football HC? And assuming they are willing, who exactly do they believe "fits" and is worthwhile within their budget constraints?

it's hard to pay a coach top dollar when you're paying buyouts from the last two ****up hires you made...

Last edited:

And Richt was making well over $4mil per year with us. Manny's making $3.1M because he doesn't command a higher salary like Richt did.

We paid Richt over $4m a year. We could pay up to $5m a year for a proven head coach. Manny is not one of those so he makes less.
That’s exactly my point. When was the last time you paid less for something and got more? This ain’t charmin ultra lol we need to pay to play.

Advertisement
Back