Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement

The Latest on the Economy​

Offices Around America Hit a New Vacancy Record​

America’s offices are emptier than at any point in at least four decades, reflecting years of overbuilding and shifting work habits that were accelerated by the pandemic. A staggering 19.6% of office space in major U.S. cities wasn’t leased as of the fourth quarter, according to Moody’s Analytics, up from 18.8% a year earlier. That is slightly above the previous records of 19.3% set in 1986 and 1991, and the highest number since at least 1979, which is as far back as Moody’s data goes, Konrad Putzier writes.

The Latest on the Economy​

Offices Around America Hit a New Vacancy Record​

America’s offices are emptier than at any point in at least four decades, reflecting years of overbuilding and shifting work habits that were accelerated by the pandemic. A staggering 19.6% of office space in major U.S. cities wasn’t leased as of the fourth quarter, according to Moody’s Analytics, up from 18.8% a year earlier. That is slightly above the previous records of 19.3% set in 1986 and 1991, and the highest number since at least 1979, which is as far back as Moody’s data goes, Konrad Putzier writes.
This is why real estate reits scare me.

I would not make THAT big of a generalization, there are Data Center REITS, storage, warehouse, etc.
Keep Talking Idris Elba GIF

Advertisement
The larger issue is that if say 20% of office loans go sour, we are talking about tens of billions if not hundreds of billions of losses, and the lenders may/will not have the capital to lend to other types of real estate.

There used to be a lot of small office/storefront buildings in little towns across the Midwest that came up for sale on the regular. I'd kinda like to buy one and rent out the storefront and live upstairs for my retirement.

The only one I can find right now is in Washington, GA and I have zero interest in retiring in Washington, GA.

Advertisement
Lots of very smart people with starkly different views.

Tom Lee is forecasting a great year, fueled by lots of cash on the sidelines and FOMO. Others, like Marko Kolanovic are concerned that markets are reflecting a Goldilocks soft landing, which rarely happens. Lastly, folks like Jeffrey Gundlach are expecting a severe recession and big market hit.

So who is right?

Tom Lee is forecasting a great year, fueled by lots of cash on the sidelines and FOMO. Others, like Marko Kolanovic are concerned that markets are reflecting a Goldilocks soft landing, which rarely happens. Lastly, folks like Jeffrey Gundlach are expecting a severe recession and big market hit.

So who is right?
I am not worried about recession until I see interest rates bottom out again and no cash on the sidelines.

Advertisement

So who is right?
Random walk down Wall Street.

Remember that the market is anticipatory, if there is a recession, rates wont bottom for 6-12 months.
A bottom for FED Funds or mortgage rates or both? Would expect a lag on mortgage rates as banks pump up the spread some.

Advertisement
what’s everyone’s take on the housing market.. Think its going to go down at all or this going to be the new norm?

what’s everyone’s take on the housing market.. Think its going to go down at all or this going to be the new norm?
Housing- that depends greatly by market and economic outlook. If we see unemployment jump, we could see the housing market dip a little BUT the Fed is likely to cut rates before any dip becomes a serious drop.

Personally- I’m selling a bunch of rentals and buying more in better areas. I’m still finding good off market deals netting me 20-30% of equity after repairs.

In another 10 years, I’ll look at reits and stock markets to preserve wealth.

Advertisement
Back