Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
Got to be? Payroll seems to be up everywhere.
But we are seeing layoffs.

This makes sense to me.
Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell raised Wall Street's hopes of the economy heading for a "soft landing."
A "soft landing" is a situation of slow economic growth, which doesn't lead to a recession. Instead, it sets the economy up for another cyclical upturn.

In a speech to the Brookings Institute on Wednesday afternoon, Powell expressed the view that the nation's central bank will slow the rate hikes to keep fighting inflation without pushing the economy into a recession. Thus, Wall Street's hopes for a soft landing or a Goldilocks economy -- an economy not too hot to perpetuate inflation and not too cold to slide into recession.

Bond and equity markets love soft landing scenarios.

Bond markets see soft-landing paving the way for higher bond prices and lower yields, as lower inflation diminishes the premium investors demand in holding long-term debt. Thus, the rally in the debt market Wednesday following the Fed Chair's speech.

IMO that we lead to a banner 2023 market increase.

USDNonfarm Payrolls(Nov) 263K0.64200K284K…down from 284,000, but a big estimate beat.

USDUnemployment Rate(Nov)3.7% 03.7%3.7%
wow…considering this years rate hikes.
service sector flying, but good news is bad news.
i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon

we are still in underemployment territory.

Last edited:
"Confounding economy" per Washington Post:
-------------------------------------------------------
The U.S. labor market grew again in November with employers adding 263,000 jobs, a surprisingly robust pace amid a slow down in the tech industry.

The unemployment rate, meanwhile, remained unchanged from 3.7 percent a month earlier, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The still-strong labor market continues to be one of the sturdiest pillars of an otherwise confounding economy. Americans are spending heavily, though they are saving less than they have in 15 years.

Manufacturing activity contracted in November for the first time in more than two years. And although inflation is slowing, to 7.7 percent, it is still well over the Federal Reserve’s 2 percent target.

Objectively strong power move. The most in demand tech in blockchain and they're scooping up a major player for pennies.

Advertisement
Bumper bowling. People have money but prices are up. Strong profits but interest rates are pushing in opposition. Instead of buying crap, people need to take advantage of these high short term bond rates or paying down debt.

Bumper bowling. People have money but prices are up. Strong profits but interest rates are pushing in opposition. Instead of buying crap, people need to take advantage of these high short term bond rates or paying down debt.

But since most of the population is financially illiterate.........

The big question now is do we still get the "Santa Claus" rally? The 1H of '23 is possibly to likely going to be brutal.

I've been hyper-focused on paying down debt. Most of it wasn't "bad" debt but I still wanted to get my own house(s) in order just in case we have a bad recession.

With bond yields dropping, we could see mortgage rates continue south which would heat up the real estate market enough to prevent a complete meltdown in that sector. The spread also has to come back down from 2.9 to 1.7.

Advertisement
The big question now is do we still get the "Santa Claus" rally? The 1H of '23 is possibly to likely going to be brutal.
I think we see a Santa rally because consumers have money. With low unemployment, it’s possible that credit card debt is not growing like we think. A figure we didn’t discuss or see is part-time employment A lot of people, for whatever reason, are not fully employed, but work part-time. That could be where the extra spending money is coming from. A lot of people can pick up bucks while staying home too.

I think we see a Santa rally because consumers have money. With low unemployment, it’s possible that credit card debt is not growing like we think. A figure we didn’t discuss or see is part-time employment A lot of people, for whatever reason, are not fully employed, but work part-time. That could be where the extra spending money is coming from. A lot of people can pick up bucks while staying home too.

It wouldnt surprise me, but I still see dark clouds early next year.

It wouldnt surprise me, but I still see dark clouds early next year.
Leisure and hospitality led the way and I think it’s seasonal, but healthcare had a big uptick because imo we are seeing rehiring from Covid shutdown. I don’t see as many rate hikes in 2023 because of how much we hiked this year. Also , next year, we will see the results of the Trillion dollar bipartisan infrastructure spending, bill which will need workers And take years.

Advertisement
Nice little recovery today after a bad start. We never gave back the big news from the Fed.

Rallys will be tempered by interest rate hikes. I see a plateau of the economy despite low unemployment and high profits. Won't see a crash and won't see a bullish rally either.

Rallys will be tempered by interest rate hikes. I see a plateau of the economy despite low unemployment and high profits. Won't see a crash and won't see a bullish rally either.

I hope you are right, but most major research outfits are calling for a sharp drop in 1H.

Advertisement
Today is factory orders and business conditions in the non-manufacturing sector.

Today is factory orders and business conditions in the non-manufacturing sector.
We mostly beat..stocks are priced right. Soft recession = soft landing. Inflation is still easing.oil drops, tech crushed.
Tichina Arnold Hope GIF by Martin

next big economic indicators are December 13-14..

Last edited:
Bloomberg- Recession can be avoided.

(Bloomberg) -- Professional investors are loading up on bets that an economic recession can be avoided despite all the warnings to the contrary. It’s a dangerous bet -- for a variety of reasons.

Money managers have been favoring economically sensitive equities, such as industrial companies and commodity producers, according to a study from Goldman Sachs Group Inc. on positioning by mutual funds and hedge funds with assets totaling almost $5 trillion. Shares that tend to do well during economic downturns, like utilities and consumer staples, are currently out of favor, the analysis shows.

The positions amount to wagers that the Federal Reserve can tame inflation without creating a recession, a difficult-to-achieve scenario often referred to as an economic soft landing. The precariousness of such bets was on display Friday and Monday, when strong readings on the labor market and American services sectors drove speculation the Fed will have to maintain its aggressive policies, increasing the risks of a policy error.

“Current sector tilts are consistent with positioning for a soft landing,” Goldman strategists including David Kostin wrote in a note Friday, adding that the fund industry’s thematic and factor exposures point to a similar stance.

Advertisement
Back