Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
Blip on the radar or a bigger pull back before the end of the year? The market was the canes and we were FSU today.

VFF is currently my largest holding. If you feel you've made a lot, and want to lock in some gains, do so. No one ever went wrong making money.

As I've said, I don't do price targets. Plenty of big potential catalysts ahead IMO. Just because we tripled doesn't mean its a short term play.

Selling some puts to create revenue and using that revenue to buy some downside protection is one way to go about it if you're nervous.
covered calls, not puts

Love LPTX. Always adding on dips. As recently as a week ago $1.59...

Went over $2 again today
I know you don't like small cap ETFs, but you should consider the Wilshire 4500 or the Dow Jones completion index (dwcpf). Dwcpf is up 30 % for the year, 23% in 40 days and 12.5% in 30 days. The bulk of my portfolio is here.

Advertisement
I know you don't like small cap ETFs, but you should consider the Wilshire 4500 or the Dow Jones completion index (dwcpf). Dwcpf is up 30 % for the year, 23% in 40 days and 12.5% in 30 days. The bulk of my portfolio is here.

I don't like ETF's or funds in general! Not knocking them, I just mean for me, now. I mean this as humbly as possible, but why should I, particularly, consider that? I am clearly into stock picking, no? And I am clearly having a much better year than 30%, ya?

And I don't mean that critically in any way, you've made a great return on that, and I completely respect people who find their way to profits, but has anything I've ever posted on here given you any indication that I'd invest in ETF's?:)

Here is how I see it... why would I want to invest a dollar in the 5000th best company out there when I have the access to information I think helps me pick winning stocks? I'd rather "diversify" among the best 20 to 40 ideas, with heavy weight on the top 5.

Last edited:
Canadian ad company... I use a guy... stockgumshoe.com . Has hit many for me... Shopify at 50. He reads all those teasers like motley fool and deciphers the clues and tells you the stock they are recommending. Then he recommends or not. 4$ a month.

Sorry, this has been killing me and I just have to ask. Are you saying you are paying a guy to make sense of the "teasers" from stock recommendation blogs? He doesn't even SUBSCRIBE to the blogs? He only deciphers the teasers and charges MONEY for that? :--)

Last edited:
I don't like ETF's or funds in general! Not knocking them, I just mean for me, now. I mean this as humbly as possible, but why should I, particularly, consider that? I am clearly into stock picking, no? And I am clearly having a much better year than 30%, ya?

And I don't mean that critically in any way, you've made a great return on that, and I completely respect people who find their way to profits, but has anything I've ever posted on here given you any indication that I'd invest in ETF's?:)

Here is how I see it... why would I want to invest a dollar in the 5000th best company out there when I have the access to information I think helps me pick winning stocks? I'd rather "diversify" among the best 20 to 40 ideas, with heavy weight on the top 5.
Completely understand and you have put your money where your mouth is to prove it.

Should have prefaced this with "for those that don't have the time".

Sorry, this has been killing me and I just have to ask. Are you saying you are paying a guy to make sense of the "teasers" from stock recommendation blogs? He doesn't even SUBSCRIBE to the blogs? He only deciphers the teasers and charges MONEY for that? :--)
yep. The guy is good.. Usually one of the members will confirm who does own to said blogs. Some of those things are 1000$ to join.

Advertisement
Completely understand and you have put your money where your mouth is to prove it.

I’m in the same general boat as you. I would say I’m about 80% etf, split between VGT, VOO, VTI, VAW, Vanguard international ex US, and the vanguard small cap value. I also picked up some of the ARK Genome one and am contemplating picking up some of the ARKK as well. I just don’t have the time or attention to devote, and especially this year it has made me a bit uneasy with valuations as we have gotten further into it.

Cryptical knows his **** and finds companies I’ve never heard of, and knows the technical analysis behind them. I would lose my shirt. So I will keep the bulk in ETFs with the built in diversification, and will keep looking for value opportunities for larger cap companies. Then I’ll gladly give Cathy Wood .75% to find those disruptor small cap companies through her ARK funds for my riskier portion. I may leave some on the table, but my risk tolerance couldn’t go all in.

Ah! That it seemed directed at me was what I found strange. Absolutely, if you don't think you can beat the market, and most can't (including me sometimes) index funds are a safe way to play it, agree. Just not my bag.

yep. The guy is good.. Usually one of the members will confirm who does own to said blogs. Some of those things are 1000$ to join.

Uh, this guy is running a business giving picks and is too cheap to actually subscribe to the blogs he's passing info on from? And people still PAY him?

Why not just subscribe to the blog if you really believe in these guys instead of praying some dude is reading the tea leaves right. You can get your $1000 back in one trade.

This is insanity.

Advertisement
Uh, this guy is running a business giving picks and is too cheap to actually subscribe to the blogs he's passing info on from? And people still PAY him?

Why not just subscribe to the blog if you really believe in these guys instead of praying some dude is reading the tea leaves right. You can get your $1000 back in one trade.

This is insanity.
I think it is like a hobby for him. He enjoys the challenge. He always gives a multi page run down of the company and everything. I can't complain. He made me 100k on SHOP alone. I owe him a bit of fee for that. I had never heard of the company at the time.

His quick summary from last Friday.... Then he does a 20 page break down also.. This is the quick take....

Quick Take
This week it seems likely that the Motley Fool Stock Advisor tipped Lemonade (LMND), which caused a late-week surge in the stock… my thoughts haven’t changed, I still like their potential and still own only the 2023 options, but that did inspire me to look into another insurance disruptor that seems like one to watch: Metromile, the usage-based auto insurance company, is merging into the SPAC Insu Acquisition II (INAQ), and might have a bright future, with a connection to SPAC star Chamath Palihapitiya, but I’m still researching and haven’t yet gotten comfortable with that one. That goes on the watchlist this week, along with new Australian royalty company Deterra Royalties (DRR.AX), which owns a high-potential producing iron ore royalty and might build on that —

I’ll consider DRR as one way to build on my base metals royalties, along possibly with EMX Royalty (EMX), but still think Altius Minerals (ALS.TO, ATUSF) is doing well in building their portfolio in that area. We’ve also got check-ins on DocuSign (DOCU) and Okta (OKTA), which both had great beat and raise quarters — I’d still buy a little more DocuSign below $200, and Okta has a big enough addressable market to hold on even if I’m not willing to add at these prices. Which leads me to thinking about the temptation of selling crazy-valuation stocks, and I close out by taking some time to look at The Trade Desk (TTD) in that light.

Trade Note: Mostly in “don’t just do something, stand there!” mode with the Real Money Portfolio right now, despite constant temptation to shave off some profits on high-valuation tech holdings, but I did micro-dose a bit into Sandstorm Gold (SAND) and Royal Gold (RGLD) this week, and also bought a new small position in long-term calls on an emerging markets ETF (EEM 2023 $75s).

I’m in the same general boat as you. I would say I’m about 80% etf, split between VGT, VOO, VTI, VAW, Vanguard international ex US, and the vanguard small cap value. I also picked up some of the ARK Genome one and am contemplating picking up some of the ARKK as well. I just don’t have the time or attention to devote, and especially this year it has made me a bit uneasy with valuations as we have gotten further into it.

Cryptical knows his **** and finds companies I’ve never heard of, and knows the technical analysis behind them. I would lose my shirt. So I will keep the bulk in ETFs with the built in diversification, and will keep looking for value opportunities for larger cap companies. Then I’ll gladly give Cathy Wood .75% to find those disruptor small cap companies through her ARK funds for my riskier portion. I may leave some on the table, but my risk tolerance couldn’t go all in.
Exactly right. 95% of my portfolio is with etf right now, with most in DWCPF. I do jump in and out occasionally and like the liquidity big funds offer. In prior life I had the time and drive to do what CE does. Funny, I'm retired, but don't have the time.

Currently own LI AUTO, LPTX, SRNE and ZYXI. This is for fun, but still take it seriously.

Thanks for ARKK. I'll be looking at it. Friend also mentioned it.

Advertisement
Exactly right. 95% of my portfolio is with etf right now, with most in DWCPF. I do jump in and out occasionally and like the liquidity big funds offer. In prior life I had the time and drive to do what CE does. Funny, I'm retired, but don't have the time.

Currently own LI AUTO, LPTX, SRNE and ZYXI. This is for fun, but still take it seriously.

Thanks for ARKK. I'll be looking at it. Friend also mentioned it.
The ARK funds are super interesting. She pretty much targets disruptors and has five core funds ... innovation, genome, fintech, AI, and next generation internet.

The hard part is how much of it is shooting fish in a barrel over the last few years and how much are they just good at what they do. I think it is somewhere in the middle, but the fund employs experts in each field aside from finance folks. Really interesting investing ethos in any case and worth looking into their underlying investments and moves.

Unrelated, I was reading some threads on Reddit investing, one of which mentioned BlackBerry (yes that blackberry) and its pivot into cyber security and now a deal with AWS for software to track cars. The basic premise is it is agnostic software that will essentially do with where your car is going as Apple and Google do with your phone and the internet. Here is an article about the technology and business plan:

The ARK funds are super interesting. She pretty much targets disruptors and has five core funds ... innovation, genome, fintech, AI, and next generation internet.

The hard part is how much of it is shooting fish in a barrel over the last few years and how much are they just good at what they do. I think it is somewhere in the middle, but the fund employs experts in each field aside from finance folks. Really interesting investing ethos in any case and worth looking into their underlying investments and moves.
Love Cathy Wood

Advertisement
Back