Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement

Sounds like Barron could be off based on the above European Banker's opinion and chart.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Sounds like Barron could be off based on the above European Banker's opinion and chart.

Could be, but the Swiss government made a decision to favor equity holders over fixed income holders, thats a really bad precedent. If I am a corporate treasurer, I am not going to take the risk of owning similar bonds.

Could be, but the Swiss government made a decision to favor equity holders over fixed income holders, thats a really bad precedent. If I am a corporate treasurer, I am not going to take the risk of owning similar bonds.
Didn't we have similar issues with the bailout of the auto companies in 2009? I know there were issues with pensions, especially between hourly and salary.

Step aside banks.
If the Fed decides to pause or change course, we will see a really big rally….jmo

Vintage Entertainment GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

Last edited:
Advertisement
My thought since this whole thing started was that FR was a goner, and thats increasingly looking as if its true.

The next shoe to drop?

In a recent paper, a group of economists including Mr. Piskorski estimated that the value of loans and securities held by banks is around $2.2 trillion lower than the book value on their balance sheets.

The next shoe to drop?

In a recent paper, a group of economists including Mr. Piskorski estimated that the value of loans and securities held by banks is around $2.2 trillion lower than the book value on their balance sheets.

I said it last week. The cmbs held by banks are underwater. This is mainly due to office buildings being vacant that once use to be hard to find. When those ARM come up, defaults will start to pile up much like the Blackstone one for 500b. I highly doubt it is only 2.2T when factoring in vacancies.

So how's that 0% reserve requirement working out for the banking system?

Advertisement
One of the bigger issues with banking in my opinion: I can do almost everything in my brokerage account I can do in my checking account plus invest funds. My banks don't offer me anything special now (no better terms on loans or CCs, still 0% return on deposits) and I have to pay fees for things I get for free from my brokerage account.

One of the bigger issues with banking in my opinion: I can do almost everything in my brokerage account I can do in my checking account plus invest funds. My banks don't offer me anything special now (no better terms on loans or CCs, still 0% return on deposits) and I have to pay fees for things I get for free from my brokerage account.
I've used credit unions my entire life. I couldn't understand how anyone could justify using a bank.

I've used credit unions my entire life. I couldn't understand how anyone could justify using a bank.
My property management company uses a large bank for rent. Tenants anywhere can drive 1-2 miles to deposit rent if they don't want to use the online portal. That is the ONE benefit of a large bank.

Advertisement
My property management company uses a large bank for rent. Tenants anywhere can drive 1-2 miles to deposit rent if they don't want to use the online portal. That is the ONE benefit of a large bank.
I had a regular bank for my business because credit unions are generally averse to corporate accounts.

A rally won't stop the bear run coming.
The only way I see that happening is if earnings collapse. The market is a forward indicator and is anticipating an end of rate hikes, energy and banks stabilizing, with a continuation of a strong labor market.
speaking of reserves. Our oil supplies are rising and the price of oil is dropping.
Sorry, please continue.

The only way I see that happening is if earnings collapse. The market is a forward indicator and is anticipating an end of rate hikes, energy and banks stabilizing, with a continuation of a strong labor market.

speaking of reserves. Our oil supplies are rising and the price of oil is dropping.
Sorry, please continue.

The only way? As if tightening credit has no impact? What happens when defaults start piling up? What about the inverted curve?

Last edited:

Sorry, please continue.
The last few times we saw a huge drop (~$30) was 2020. Before that was 2018, 2014, and 2008. 2018 and 2014 were because of Trump's China tariffs and lifting sanctions on Iran, and 2014 was the increase in shale production.

2008 and 2020. Let's hope it's not like that.

Advertisement
Back