Stephen Morris vs Florida

Morris under performed. I am as much worried about Corch Coley and his lack of creativity in play design. as I am about Morris. They are attached at the hip.

Did we even run 1 misdirection running play?
Isnt this supposed to be the same offense that Fisch ran last year?

Looking back at the tape, I really didn't see anything wrong with the design of many of the routes the WR's and TE's were running, save for, ironically, the TD to Waters. Morris had happy feet in the pocket all afternoon and made a ton of poor reads and throws. That falls on the OL not being able to establish the run with Duke and having DE's in his face all game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
"Fish the flats" was the term that Brian Griese used. And for once, I think he was exactly right. Walford was rumblin' today. Morris was ok, and I believe this game will make him better in the long run. Plenty of tape for him to review, and plenty of time in the next few weeks to get it down.

Advertisement
On Dorsett's touchdown catch, the announcer said he had 4.5 speed. lolololol

They were terrible yesterday, turrible. At one point they were talking about our 2012 class, and how difficult it was for Al to recruit with the investigation over our heads, and how when things got tough it was Duke and Tracy who were the glue that held the class together. I mean these people are considered professionals......

Not being a football guy, I dont know if it was the Florida defense, our play calling, our OL, the WR or Morris that was the cause of our relative ineptitude on offense.

I think it was a little of all of that, seems like Coley went really conservative running the ball on 1st and 2nd down and then leaving Morris in 3rd and longs. Bottom line it was a huge win, but we need more out of the offense.

What I see:

1-Easly is a beast. No olineman could handle him alone
2- Uf has great corners.
3- Morris bad decisions more worrisome than a couple bad throws.
4-Bunche feet are slow. I'm sure he's a great kid, don't mean to pick on him
4- Oline seemed confused at times. I blame Al not Art. Someone needs to tell Al that he doesn't need to reinvent the wheel with his rotating oline philosophy. Its hurting the team. Pick 5, stick with 5. There is a reason that everyone else does it that way and succeeds that way.

all of the above...offense is about timing, o line and scheme is about forcing the other team to react...while we tried with a few roll outs, no real misdirection except one reverse...perhaps that reverse showed what would have happened...im glad im not screaming for d improvment today

Advertisement
Here's what I want to see out of the offensive playcalling and Morris:
1. No one should be able to keep up with Duke 1on1 - have him run some option routes out of the backfield/slot
2. Morris needs to step up in the pocket more at times
3. Morris needs to go through his progressions. There were opportunities across the middle against the blitz
4. More creative route combinations - Coley utilizes the hitch and corner combo a lot
5. Less zone/stretch running and more head up man to man blocking. Our Oline had a tough time keeping up with the DL speed
6 draws, screens to keep the dline honest

Stephen Morris did not win us the game but he did not lose us the game.

In the fourth quarter it would have been nice to see a TD drive basically sealing the win or getting a first down to close out so we do not punt it back to UF. Would have been nice to see that from a senior QB that expects alot from others including himself.

In the fourth quarter it would have been nice to see a TD drive basically sealing the win or getting a first down to close out so we do not punt it back to UF. Would have been nice to see that from a senior QB that expects alot from others including himself.

I guess......
Our defense did everything they could and more. If not for their amazing effort, we lose this game plain and simple. The offense, led by a 5th year senior needed to make some plays and they straight up couldn't. Anything, a FG or at least a couple of first downs. The offense left our defense out to dry yesterday, thankfully the defense was up to the challenge.

Not a big fan of our route combinations. We don't use the middle of the field at all.

Often times we'd send 2 WRs on either streaks or deep post routes and yet the 3rd WR just ran a 8 yard stop route and just stood there???
Why not have him run a drag/slant route underneath?

We used to run Andre Johnson and others on drag routes all day long. It also acts as a "checkdown" when the opposing DL is getting tons of pressure on the QB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
easley was a monster. however, scott was out. Hurns is a possession receiver limited ability to get open, coley isnt ready to be a star in that environment, and dorsett cant run routes, only deep balls. Herb is a good but this is also his first time in a real big game.
Its a whole new offensive staff we have to keep in mind. It could have been worse, he could have played like driskel.

Not being a football guy, I dont know if it was the Florida defense, our play calling, our OL, the WR or Morris that was the cause of our relative ineptitude on offense.

Their defensive line just might be the best defensive line in college football. They are no joke.

You're not gonna dominate a really good defensive line and when you toss in the fact that they have 2 or 3 guys in the back end who are 1st or 2nd round picks, you have a dominant defense.

We're lucky Hargreaves stepped out of bounds, who knows if his pick wouldn't have turned into a touchdown for the gators

Advertisement
More PA pass on the early downs would have helped get the TE's open behind the LB's. They had to roll the pocket. Florida's DL was getting through most of the game.

The interception was terrible, and Dorsett not realizing Morris was going to throw a quick hitter when they blitzed was brutal. Morris needs to calm the F down and Dorsett needs to get on the Sam page with his QB. That said, they have a month and 2 scrimmages to work it out before Ga Tech.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was Morris's fault. The way that Dorsett reacted told me that he had read the blitz (Morris was also making calls at the line) but thought his adjustment was supposed to be a go route. I would be surprised if Dorsett got that animated if it was his own mistake.

9/10 times on a blitz the "hot" read is a quick pass so the QB doesn't get killed. Dorsett was running 50 yards downfield. Morris didn't have time to throw that.

easley was a monster. however, scott was out. Hurns is a possession receiver limited ability to get open, coley isnt ready to be a star in that environment, and dorsett cant run routes, only deep balls. Herb is a good but this is also his first time in a real big game.
Its a whole new offensive staff we have to keep in mind. It could have been worse, he could have played like driskel.

Re-watched the game ....Easley is disgustingly quick for his size, and if he gets off before the lineman it's over, but that said when he was engaged dude was getting pancaked left and right.

Advertisement
Back