Stephen Morris vs Florida

Advertisement
He was pressured a lot, to be fair, but he definitely missed some throws that we need to be able to rely on him to make, at this point.

Fortunately the D came through but, bottom line, we need more out of SM if we want to have the type of season we're all hoping for. I'm hopeful he will put it together.

And he needs to sit down with Dorsett and have a sandwich or something. Those two need to get it figured out like today.

The interception was terrible, and Dorsett not realizing Morris was going to throw a quick hitter when they blitzed was brutal. Morris needs to calm the F down and Dorsett needs to get on the Sam page with his QB. That said, they have a month and 2 scrimmages to work it out before Ga Tech.

I felt Morris played a good game .Other than that one high throw that led to the interception

Morris missed a lot of throws yesterday. He had some decent time in the pocket but either rushed some throws or was off.
And some of the blame has to fall on Coley. There was really no need to move Morris out of the pocket as much as he did. The pass protection wasn't bad. Either he doesn't trust Morris to stay in the pocket and make his reads or he overreacted to the Gators pass rush.
Throws were there to be made and completed.

Advertisement
Not being a football guy, I dont know if it was the Florida defense, our play calling, our OL, the WR or Morris that was the cause of our relative ineptitude on offense.

Morris under performed. I am as much worried about Corch Coley and his lack of creativity in play design. as I am about Morris. They are attached at the hip.

Did we even run 1 misdirection running play?

I agree with Duane Starks on the postgame show. Play calling was good in the first half, mostly first quarter, had the Gators on their heels. 3rd quarter was like watching a 7th grade coaching display. First drive. Run, run, pass. Punt. Second drive. Run, run, pass. Punt. All the runs were slow developing runs when UF had 8-9 men within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage, with some run blitzing. The pass plays were even worse, trying to go deep with UF playing 2 deep safeties. If UF is going to bring pressure throw screens either to the RB or WR or something. Mix it up. It was ridiculous. Also, the play call on 2nd down after we recovered the onside kick was one of the most puzzling call I've seen (play where Johnson got the penalty).

Not laying all the blame for Morris' woes on Coley, but the two of them have a month to work this **** out.

The play after the onside kick was an attempt to put the game away and pick up a first down. If Florida is fooled and you got a guy wide open, throw it. If there is even a chance of an incompletion you eat it and keep the clock running.

Advertisement
Just focusing on the WR's, there was not a whole lot of separation much of the time. Morris did miss some open guys running shorter routes and he missed badly on the INT. That would have be a 1st down, but he was under a lot of pressure. I put more blame on UF having a very good defense. I do think Coley needs to help him out in the future by passing more on 1st and 2nd down and mixing in more quick hitters.

I liked the play calling. I thought it was a good adjustment to incorporate the rollouts. They prevented unesscary hits on Morris. When the gators were clearly playing to hurt guys. I thought after the first quarter Morris played terrible. He missed easy comeback routes. And once again he failed to take what defense gave him. There was several plays where the underneath TE was open but he wanted to go downfield. He neds to settle down and find his groove. The Int was terrible, on a wide open 25 yard 3rd down conversion.

Just focusing on the WR's, there was not a whole lot of separation much of the time. Morris did miss some open guys running shorter routes and he missed badly on the INT. That would have be a 1st down, but he was under a lot of pressure. I put more blame on UF having a very good defense. I do think Coley needs to help him out in the future by passing more on 1st and 2nd down and mixing in more quick hitters.

Our WRs aren't and won't get open against teams that trust their CBs to man up throughout the game which makes it difficult for the running game. Specifically against team's with Florida's front. Remember when we were all cursing when Florida kept getting high 4 and 5-star DL in recruiting. Yesterday was the manifestation of that.

People like to laud Fisch's creativity but it wasn't any different last year against good teams. Fisch may have entertained you more with play design but the results were the same and actually they were worse. Coley's 21 is already more than Fisch put up against a good team last year

I'm really not liking the fact that we are completely ignoring the middle of the field. I see very little routes attacking the seams. I see no slants...

I'm really hoping Coley adjusts this going forward. You have to threaten the middle of the field to make all those outside throws easier.

But enough with the negativity at least for today....we beat those inbred ***** and that's all that matters.

Advertisement
The interception was terrible, and Dorsett not realizing Morris was going to throw a quick hitter when they blitzed was brutal. Morris needs to calm the F down and Dorsett needs to get on the Sam page with his QB. That said, they have a month and 2 scrimmages to work it out before Ga Tech.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was Morris's fault. The way that Dorsett reacted told me that he had read the blitz (Morris was also making calls at the line) but thought his adjustment was supposed to be a go route. I would be surprised if Dorsett got that animated if it was his own mistake.

Morris played "average". He definitely missed some throws and the INT was terrible. I also thought our oline did solid against the pass but couldn't create any type of holes running for Duke in the second half. The offense in general just seems a little out of sync right now. The bye week should help out a ton. Great win and great play by the D.

Morris underperformed, but Coley continually rolling the pocket in the 2nd quarter and a couple of times in the 3rd took away half the field and made it easier for the Gators to defend the pass. Coley needs to be more creative and work the middle of the field some. He has room for much improvement.

Advertisement
Not ready to dog Coley yet. Morris missed alot of throws and also took some bad sacks when we had guys running open. He can't make the throws and decisions for Morris. Bottom line is Morris needs to improve. Lets also not forget that we were playing against a top defense with 4 1st rounders on the DL and a couple 1st rounders at CB.

I saw the O-line getting its lunch money stolen on every down. Those roll-outs were to buy Morris more than the half-second he was getting before. Not necessarily a knock on Kehoe- his stout lineman were being asked to zone block against the most agile defensive front we'll see- regardless of our postseason matchup.

Not ready to dog Coley yet. Morris missed alot of throws and also took some bad sacks when we had guys running open. He can't make the throws and decisions for Morris. Bottom line is Morris needs to improve. Lets also not forget that we were playing against a top defense with 4 1st rounders on the DL and a couple 1st rounders at CB.
Meh not quite. Easley and Sherit for sure tho

Last edited:
Morris played poorly, the play calling was ehhh, and the Gators have a monster defense. We caught them napping on the Dorsett TD, and then they tightened up. Their DL kinda manhandled our OL, especially anybody matched up against Easley. I though that we should have used the RB more in the passing game, and used the middle of the field. The problem with using the middle of the field with Morris is that he really lacks touch. That one pass that was tipped by Taylor on the crossing route that was almost intercepted, was there but he tried to laser the thing in. The kid has command of the offense but the fact is that he will miss reads and then can't make certain throws. Which is ironic because of the fact that the throws you usually associate a QB with not being able to make, happen to be the throws Morris does make. It is what it is, it's what we have to work but we should still win a bunch of games with him.

Advertisement
Back