Stephen Morris back surgery?

Advertisement
QB Morris will be limited in spring practices
by: Steve Gorten February 28th, 2012 | 6:32 PM

CORAL GABLES — Junior quarterback Stephen Morris, the favorite to win the Hurricanes’ starting job this fall, will be limited during spring football practices, UM confirmed Tuesday.

InsideTheU.com first reported Tuesday, citing multiple sources, that Morris underwent back surgery, and consequently, will be allowed to throw, but is unlikely to participate in contact drills at all this spring. UM would not confirm that Morris had surgery. Morris is expected to meet with the media on Thursday.

Miami will start spring practice on Saturday morning. The Spring Game will be April 14 at Sun Life Stadium.

This shouldn’t impact Morris’ chances of winning the starting job for 2012. Coach Al Golden didn’t name a starter between Morris and Jacory Harris after an open competition last spring, and likely wouldn’t have named Morris, redshirt sophomore transfer Ryan Williams or freshmen Preston Dewey and Gray Crow the starter after this spring had there not been this development either.

What’s positive for the Hurricanes is that Dewey and Crow both enrolled early in January, so even with Morris limited, there will be three quarterbacks at full-strength this spring. The two freshmen should benefit from the extra reps, too.

The starting job ultimately will be won based on performances in preseason camp this fall — not in the spring when the team is also thin on receivers.

Morris made four starts in 2010 and started the season opener at Maryland last year. He has completed 56.8 percent of his passes for 1,523 yards, seven touchdowns and interceptions in 11 career games.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_college_hurricanes/2012/02/report-morris-will-be-limited-in-spring-after-back-surgery.html

Back surgery could be anything from removing a cyst to spinal stuff.

What exactly, is wrong with his back - what is the surgery on, anybody know? What's up?

Advertisement
Makes me think back to a thread about Morris hurting himself while lifting....was poo-pooed at the time

Hopefully the other kids make the most of the extra reps and Morris comes back stronger than ever for fall camp.

Williams will start when the field is 50 yards long and 33 yards wide....like....Arena Football

Advertisement
This might be the big break our program has needed. We have three other kids who will get reps in the spring, although Im guessing that Williams and Dewey will get the lions share.

Speaking frankly, Ive never seen anything from Steven Morris that would lead me to believe he has the goods to be a starting QB at the upper end of D1 ball.

Ive seen very little of Williams so I cannot evaluate him.

All I know is that Stephen Morris is a Randy Shannon QB. Much like Jacory, AJ Highsmith, Taylor Cook, and Cannon Smith....that scares the **** out of me. I want a Fisch guy taking snaps...don't cares if its a true freshmen.

NOT good for us. This cat is raw and needed all the snaps he could get.The fact that they had to burn his 'shirt after J12 went down and it was clear Whipple sired the worst QB in UM history REALLY set this kid back.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back