Step Into My Dream: 2015 'Canes Defense

I'm surprised why you guys have McCord (arguably our best player in these front 7's) is on the second team. AQM definitely has the swag, and is young, but hasn't shown me that he's better than McCord yet. Ditto Figs.

Advertisement
Another thing on the "read and react defense", I thought it was interesting that Golden explicitly said he's never coached guys to "read and react". He said on every play guys have keys, but he doesn't teach guys to read and react.

I'm not in meetings and I don't break down film, so I don't know how much of that is lip service, but Golden is usually a straight-shooter, so maybe our problems are more complicated than "read and react" or whatever.

Why can't we just run a simple 4-3 man two deep with some creative blitzes? Ugh.

This right here ^^^^^ Everybody calls Randy Shannon a great D- Coordinator and he was but his greatest strength was making the defense simple and allowing the players to use their God given talents. Its helps having great players but it helps average players with not as much talent to make things simple.

Talent is the great equalizer. This class is the best we have see in some time on the defensvie side. If we stack another on it next year, it will serve us well. We might never see our defenses of old -- nobody has those anymore, not even Bama and LSU -- but we certainly see much better than we have now. Improved coaching would certainly help, but big increase in talent will make coaching look better. Hard to imagine Al not changing something after the shelling we took this year. Right now let's enjoy the infusion of talent we see coming and where it is going. Strength down the middle and build out. Burns, Carter and Grace will be bigger factors this year so back 7 should improve. I think we will need a couple of these new DTs to jump in fast. Not the best, but we need at least one to step on the field and say the middle is mine!

Advertisement
WDE-AQM(maybe depending how he bulks up), Chad Thomas, Kamalu looks like he is quick enough to play both
NT-Valentine, Wyche, Moore, and Jenkins that is depth right there, Moore should contribute his 4th year
SDE-Kamalu, Jelani, Moten

Jack-McCord, AQM(depending how he bulks up), D Jackson, Holliet, Mike Smith, and Mccray
Will-Grace, Gayot
Mike-Kirby, Young, Blue
SAM-Figatron, Owens

If we play some variations of a 4-3
SDE-Kamalu, Chad,, Jelani
DT-Valentine, Moten
DT-Wyche, Moore, Jenkins
WDE-AQM, McCord, D Jackson

WILL-Grace, Owens
MIKE-Kirby, Young, Blue
SAM-Figatron, Owens

Secondary
CB-Howard, Crawford, Dortch
SS-Bush, Hester
FS-Jenkins, Carter
CB-Burns, Elder, Bethel

Nickel-lots of flexibility here, as a whole if JC Jackson signs, it will give us crazy flexibility because either him or Burns could go to safety.

As a whole that is ridiculous talent right, ridiculous. It will be the year we finally can line up against FSU and the other elites. Its the end game regarding this defense, if we cant kick *** with that talent, it just will never work. AQM is a real dark horse here, how big does he get? Can he get up to 265-270 and keep his explosiveness and play WDE, or does he end up at 245-255 and is better suited for the Jack? I think McCord will not get bigger than 250-255, but I think AQM has a chance.

You think Valentine is a nose here?

I also don't think that it's out of the question that Moten could become a nose here. He's already 6'4, 285 and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that he grows to 310+

I also don't think that it's out of the question that Moten could become a nose here. He's already 6'4, 285 and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that he grows to 310+

He is a perfect fit as a SDE in a 3-4, it's why he was such a huge recruit for us. The kid is talented as it is but he is such a perfect fit for our system it makes his value even higher than his ranking, a 5 star kid. In terms of Valentine, he is a NT all the way. Remember you can use him as a 1 tech n still have him play a 2 gap, both the niners n Seahawks do this. At the same time you can unleash him as a 1 gap 1 tech. On top of that he has the size to play a 0 tech, even though I hear you it's a waste of his quickness. I see Valentine as a 330 pound monster here.

Advertisement
Back