Starting WR, QB or Coaching?

Advertisement
The WRs are soft and the QB is often times erratic throwing deep. OC is a running guy he has let go of some if the air raid principles that his OC installed at SMU. Might not kill us to have a passing game coordinator

We can't keep using the WRs as an excuse for failure when there are a bunch of other WRs on the team to replace them with. If Pope, Wiggins and Harley can't play, then get them the fck off the field and play the other guys. And don't tell me **** about they ain't ready. Bytch, get them ready! That's your goddam job. It's WR. It ain't OL or DT. GET THEM READY.

Advertisement
WR talent is most jarring. our guys just dont get open, dont have any hands, and arent physical. it limits what you can do esp against good defenses that are keying in to take away the run and tight ends.
But let's all keep reiterating there's nothing to see here. These are clearly our best wr who must be beasts in practice and ******* game day cause clearly none of our others in wr room does it make sense to play in front of them... Smh. Some constants here but y'all refuse to acknowledge maybe when there's oke theirs fire. Y'all bumped your heads if you think this is any different in practice and none of our other wrs either show better in practice OR have the intangibles it makes sense to trot out there. Say whatever y'all would like. But if certain players continue to show they are exactly what they show they are and you still refuse not to try something else than it's just on y'all as coaches and fans to deal with the results.

TrumpyCane isn’t going to bash our current WR, I’m sure they’re trying but it is clear there needs to be an infusion of talent along with with recruiting WR who are physically imposing

Last year on top of scheme and Burrow being great, if you watched LSU games he would throw up a ball 4 or 5 times a game and his WR would just simply beat out a CB for a play. Our current WR lack the size/strength to be able to occasionally bail out and help our QBs. When is the last time our WR simply just made a play on a CB? Ahmmon Richards?

bingo. the WR is vastly overrated. pope busted and nothing has changed. harley is who he is. hes not a sure handed guy either. wiggins has one route and isnt physical. none of the receivers really get any separation either making it even harder on the QB to make a deep play

The bright side is that the WRs Likens brought in look good and I like his evals, whereas Rumph gonna Rumph again.

Advertisement
They're the worst receivers in school history period (unless some were worse way back in the day). Pope and Harley have to jump to catch it in their stomachs, they still can't use their hands for ***** sake. All 3 are incredibly weak who get bullied or trip over their own feet. They all drop the ball at an alarming rate.

If I were the coach I would literally start the freshmen and use all these 3 as backups. They literally can't be worse.

If that performance doesn't result in some significant playing time changes starting at Pitt, I'm done with Manny. This dumb staff's insistence on playing older players no matter what has hurt this team more than anything else. It's why people transfer and it also has had an affect on recruiting and team.chemistry/culture. These guys get paid way too much to be this ******* stupid.

In an discussion with a friend I went through and looked at our WR numbers.
1 game so far a WR has been the leading receiver. Outside of that game a TE and we even have 1 were an RB has out gained them also. None of them have had over 100 yards receiving yet and we barely have any over 50. Who does this fall on? Is it our QB not trusting them or having the arm strength to get it to them deep? Is it the play calling not putting them in the best spot to get open and turn it into big plays? Is it on the WR not getting open and being bullied (clearly their drops dont help)?
Great discussion SFS. IMHO, all 3 play a part. Over the first 4 games, King has not been accurate with the deep ball. Even the deep ball to Mallory was underthrown. King missed a wide open Harley on a deep TD against UAB, missed a wide open Payton for a TD against UAB, and he even missed Payton on a swing pass in the backfield against Clemson. King is a great runner, isn’t accurate at times. Still good enough to lead us back to the ACC-CG

WRs also deserve blame. WRs didn’t fight for the ball and Wiggins got punked on one deep ball. And the coaches and players better figure it out, or they will see the Clemson game plan for the rest of the season.

Coaches know what they have, and they need to start playing the best WRs, and encourage the QB to trust other targets. Coaches also need to run some crosses to rub and pick some DBs.

I believe all three have room to get better, and we will have a better picture of how good they will be next week against Pitt in a bounce-back opportunity, and then following week against Virginia, the last ACC Coastal Division champ. Coaching adjustments will be critical

Last edited:
WRs are the problem. Which is weird because if I was a betting man, I bet the vets on this board wanted Pope, Harley, and Wiggins BAAAAAAAAD.

At some point as a fan base we just have to admit that we overrated a lot of these guys simply because they were from south Florida. We've trashed everything from the coaches, trashed the scheme, trashed the quarterbacks. No more excuses.

Advertisement
We can't keep using the WRs as an excuse for failure when there are a bunch of other WRs on the team to replace them with. If Pope, Wiggins and Harley can't play, then get them the fck off the field and play the other guys. And don't tell me **** about they ain't ready. Bytch, get them ready! That's your goddam job. It's WR. It ain't OL or DT. GET THEM READY.
This is where I think the argument of Manny being more their friend then coach comes in and the issue of never playing the young guys cause of seniority issues.

But let's all keep reiterating there's nothing to see here. These are clearly our best wr who must be beasts in practice and ******* game day cause clearly none of our others in wr room does it make sense to play in front of them... Smh. Some constants here but y'all refuse to acknowledge maybe when there's oke theirs fire. Y'all bumped your heads if you think this is any different in practice and none of our other wrs either show better in practice OR have the intangibles it makes sense to trot out there. Say whatever y'all would like. But if certain players continue to show they are exactly what they show they are and you still refuse not to try something else than it's just on y'all as coaches and fans to deal with the results.
No one's covered Key Smith yet. He's wide open every time he's out there, and he adjusts to the ball too. That dude can absolutely play. Fck practice. I know Smith can play, and he can play right now.

It ain't rocket science with WRs. Either they can get open and catch the ball, or they can't. Sometimes, you don't know that until the band is playing, but it seems pretty obvious that the game was too big for Pope, Harley, and Wiggins the other night. Looked like guys who wear skinny jeans and carry backpacks out there.

Advertisement
No one's covered Key Smith yet. He's wide open every time he's out there, and he adjusts to the ball too. That dude can absolutely play. Fck practice. I know Smith can play, and he can play right now.

It ain't rocket science with WRs. Either they can get open and catch the ball, or they can't. Sometimes, you don't know that until the band is playing, but it seems pretty obvious that the game was too big for Pope, Harley, and Wiggins the other night. Looked like guys who wear skinny jeans and carry backpacks out there.
That's the point. Some kids we flat out already know they should be getting pt over pope or harley yet for years now not only do we settle for it but we embrace it. We get fed **** & all we do is the lil english kid who says PLEASE SIR, CAN I AVE SOME MORE. That money has become the norm. All the smoke but none of the fire...

This is where I think the argument of Manny being more their friend then coach comes in and the issue of never playing the young guys cause of seniority issues.
Is not that he's their friend. That's a facade and it's the wrong impression. Im not gonna elaborate more though. As ****ed as I am I still see things for exactly what they are. Its not gonna change anytime soon now, so grab a snickers. Its gonna be awhile.

Going with the veteran WRs to begin the season made sense while the youths find their way, but the freshmens can be thrown into the fire at this point. Payton, Redding, Smith have found their way onto the field but it's time to take the training wheels off.
This is what I'm saying. You seen Smith absolutely BURN a defender and it would've been an easy TD but he had to slow down to wait for the ball and got tackled because of it. I'd rather see overthrows to our WRs than underthrows. We were in that game even at 17-35 midway through the 4th. And another point to note is not having Tae hurt us, because IMO speed to the outside is what hurt us, not runs to the inside. I'd put Tae as a permanent spy on Etienne on 3rd downs and he would've won at least 33% of those battles, if not half. But neither here nor there, that's why this 2021 class is so important because we have to have depth if one guy gets hurt somehow (ex: Tae) we have another stud we throw in there to help with the Etienne fire.

Not even going to get on Wiggins repeatedly not fighting thru the DB to work his way to the ball, or slowing up so he can make a play on the ball. If our WRs can't just run past you on speed alone (especially Wiggins) then it looks like our passing game struggles, and that's an issue. Luckily we don't see Clemson defenses anymore this year so our guys just have to learn from that game and allow it to make them better players going forward.

Is not that he's their friend. That's a facade and it's the wrong impression. Im not gonna elaborate more though. As ****ed as I am I still see things for exactly what they are. Its not gonna change anytime soon now, so grab a snickers. Its gonna be awhile.

That sucks and if recruits get the wind of that could be a reason we are losing them. Really think Manny needs to just leave the O to be coached by Rhett. Baby sit Blake and run the game day stuff

Advertisement
Back