Starting Lineup turnover

were we not? I said MTSU level other than a few spots. (Btw I am not one of those posters who will get my panties in a wad if you disagree...I'm 43...I'm a man)

I just think 90% of our roster last September wasnt an ACC roster. Was it MTSU level...maybe a stretch. But I'm a fan let me overreact a bit.
It was not. And we interact a bunch I know you’re not one of the drama queens. We were bottom tier acc talent maybe. But mtsu level is stretching. I’ll be honest with you though because everybody kinda wants to just move on and not talk about it. Last years staff was responsible for one of the worst coaching jobs in recent college history. Whomever’s feet you place that on, is on you.

Advertisement
It was not. And we interact a bunch I know you’re not one of the drama queens. We were bottom tier acc talent maybe. But mtsu level is stretching. I’ll be honest with you though because everybody kinda wants to just move on and not talk about it. Last years staff was responsible for one of the worst coaching jobs in recent college history. Whomever’s feet you place that on, is on you.
That probably plays a part in why we looked like a non-p5 talent with regard to roster. When you don't believe and you aren't being coached up you play tight or you don't care.

Last year was a Cat5 perfect sh*t storm on top of injuries and some poor evals.

That probably plays a part in why we looked like a non-p5 talent with regard to roster. When you don't believe and you aren't being coached up you play tight or you don't care.

Last year was a Cat5 perfect sh*t storm on top of injuries and some poor evals.
It was indeed the perfect storm. The players are not getting a pass from me. But at best it’s 60/40 split on blame. Coaching being the 60.

I thought @GojiraCane 's research kind of summarizes the roster turnover pretty well. Lots of turnover. Most rooms are upgraded...some a little (WR, for example), some a lot (OL, for example). A few rooms don't look like upgrades - QB and K/P...but we'll see what this year brings with a new offense and new punter.

Advertisement
What did knish do to get in your doghouse? Because he's starting at short and batting 3rd for me.

And you've got ravioli on the bench? Worse roster management than DiMare.

Knish was given the day off so we could get kreplach some at bats against a lefty (empanadilla). He's available to pinch hit.

Ravioli has tendonitis in his elbow (noodle arm). That's why we called up gnudi.

TVD staying healthy and dialed in is critical. I like our roster and coordinators so much better now. Ready to put the Gattis fiasco behind us and seeing what this new roster and coaches can do. We improve and retain and develop the right players and have a couple more top end crootin classes and the sky is the limit. Who knows. Let's go Canes 🏈

1000% TVD will be dialed in. Assuming he plays at least 11 games in 2023, I’m betting he gets to 30 passing TDs

Lashlee and Dawson are of similar quality and similar resumes, TVD put up those kind of numbers in 2021 with a worse offense and a worse defense than what he will have in 2023

I’m trying not to drink the koolaid again, but with the WR additions and a good OL we should have a top 25 offense

Guidry and Dawson will have us competitive to good

If we don’t get to 8 wins we should all be disappointed. The schedule isn’t that tough
I tend to agree with the 8 win thing but I'm of the expectation that there's 2 games we're very likely to lose (FSU and Clemson) and A&M is absolutely loaded and I expect us to lose that game - I'm hesitant to pencil it in as an L because it's Jimbo and their locker room has been a disaster.

Louisville is going to be much improved. UNC has one of the 2 best QBs in the country but is winnable in a likely shoot out. NCST is formidable and reunited Armstrong and Anae to go along with a very good defense.

The other 6 games are absolutely putrid. BC is terrible but of course we'll draw the red bandana game and we've lost 3 of the last 4 against them anyway. I can't even come up with an excuse or possibility to lose to Miami OH, BCU, Temple, or Virginia.. But then there's MTSU so who knows. We typically handle Virginia at home (except for the missed FG in 2021). GT should also be in that category but for some reason we're 2-2 in the last 4.. again luckily it's at home.

Devil's advocate - we do pull Clemson and TAMU at home. Hasn't mattered against Clemson in the past but the talent gap is narrowing a little bit. Maybe it can this year.

All of the "must win" cake walk games are also at home, except for Temple (shouldn't matter) - making it much less likely that we're upset by any of those teams.

The make or break for 2023 are the road trips to Tobacco Road @ UNC and NCST imo. Probably the difference in 7-5 and 9-3 are those 2 games.

1000% TVD will be dialed in. Assuming he plays at least 11 games in 2023, I’m betting he gets to 30 passing TDs

Lashlee and Dawson are of similar quality and similar resumes, TVD put up those kind of numbers in 2021 with a worse offense and a worse defense than what he will have in 2023

I’m trying not to drink the koolaid again, but with the WR additions and a good OL we should have a top 25 offense
fingers-crossed-jenny-hagel.gif

Advertisement
We lost to MTSU last year because we were basically MTSU talent level minus a few spots but mix in a bunch of bad attitudes, a horrible OC, and you can see why it really wasnt even an upset.

Big improvement this year. More wins, more competitive, more talented, and if we stay healthy we shouldnt have one embarrassing loss this season where for a week we are saying "Miami shouldnt lose to ___" or "Miami should not lose by ______"
If we were even close to MTSU‘s talent level the canes would have lost every game on the schedule.

It’s ok to say that the entire coaching staff was chafed ***

It was indeed the perfect storm. The players are not getting a pass from me. But at best it’s 60/40 split on blame. Coaching being the 60.
Coaching on offense was huge, as was the bill coming due on poor offensive line recruiting coupled with key injuries to that position. TVD had little time to throw, running backs had few holes to hit, and ultimately TVD himself was knocked out.

I'd be curious if we had Alabama or Georgia's wide receivers, quarterback, tight ends, and running backs, and then put them with Miami's 2022 offensive line and offensive coordinator...how much different would it have been. I dare say, not much at all.

OFFENSE losses 2022-2203:

Starters-
OL-John Campbell
OL-Jakai Clark
OL-D.J. Scaife
TE-Will Mallory

Defense:
DT-Darrell Jackson
CB-Tyrique Stevenson
CB-D.J. Ivey

Leaving off a few freshman listing ones that have a chance to compete for SOME PT.
Offensive additions:

RB-Ajay Allen
RB-Mark Fletcher
RB-Chris Johnson
TE-Riley Williams
TE-Cam McCormick
WR-Tyler Harrell
WR-Shemar Kirk
WR-Ray Ray Joseph
WR-Robby Washington
OL-Javian Cohen
OL-Matt Lee
OL-Zion Nelson(injury)
OL-Francis Mauigoa
OL-Samson Okunlola

Defense:

DE-Rueben Bain
DT-Branson Deen
DL-Thomas Gore
DL-Anthony Campbell
LB-Francisco Mauigoa
LB-Bobby Washington
LB-Malik Bryant
LB-Popo Aguirre
CB-Devante Brown
CB-Jaden Davis
CB-Terry Roberts
CB-Jadais Richard
CB-Demari Brown
CB-Robert Stafford
S-Kaleb Spencer
Huge fan of Riley. He'll be The U next great TE

Advertisement
Coaching on offense was huge, as was the bill coming due on poor offensive line recruiting coupled with key injuries to that position. TVD had little time to throw, running backs had few holes to hit, and ultimately TVD himself was knocked out.

I'd be curious if we had Alabama or Georgia's wide receivers, quarterback, tight ends, and running backs, and then put them with Miami's 2022 offensive line and offensive coordinator...how much different would it have been. I dare say, not much at all.

The OL didn’t help, but they weren’t absolute dog**** until the injuries started to pile up.

The WR’s at these big schools can still separate, and the RB’s they have still have vision, skill, and athleticism to make plays.

That being said, the ultimate anchor there is Gattis. He’d just magnify all of the shortcomings of the athletes in his scheme.

Roster is upgraded on paper & depth improved. So, is culture & mindset improved? Are we beyond falling apart at the least sign of adversity? Granted, there’s been talent & coaching issues, but nothing more frustrating than a mentally weak team.

It’s nearly that time of year, where the news and information goes away until at least late June.

I wanted to ask the board what they thought about the turnover in the starting lineup over the last three seasons. I’m looking at just the early season depth charts to try to get as apples to apples as possible.

2021 (Manny’s last season)
QB - D. King (transfer), developmental league player.
RB - Cam Harris (recruit), no professional career.
WR - Key Smith (recruit), went G5.
WR - C. Rambo (transfer), developmental league player.
WR - Mike Harley (recruit), no professional career.
TE - Will Mallory (recruit), will get chance to make NFL roster.
LT - Zion Nelson (recruit), has been good when he plays.
LG - Jalen Rivers (recruit), may get NFL shot.
C - Corey Gaynor (recruit), one more season to play.
RG - N. Donaldson (recruit), no professional career.
RT - DJ Scaife (recruit), no professional career.

DE - Z. McCloud (recruit), no professional career.
DE - J. Harvey (recruit), one more season in CFB.
DT - J. Ford (recruit), on NFL roster.
DT - N. Silvera (recruit), chance to make NFL roster.
LB - Corey Flagg (recruit), one more season left.
LB - Keontra Smith (recruit), one more season left.
Striker - A. Carter (recruit), no professional career.
S - Bubba Bolden (transfer), no professional career.
S - Gurvan Hall (recruit), recipient of the legendary Highsmith Invisible Flute Award.
CB - DJ Ivey (recruit), chance to make NFL roster.
CB - T. Stevenson (transfer), NFL player.

2022 (Fat Manny’s first season)
QB - Van Dyke (recruit), one more season.
RB - Henry Parrish (transfer), one more season.
WR - Key Smith (recruit), left to G5 level
WR - X Restrepo (recruit), two more seasons left.
WR - Michael Redding (recruit), one more season left.
TE - Will Mallory (recruit), will get opportunity to make NFL roster.
LT - J. Campbell (recruit), left to SEC
LG - J. Rivers (recruit), one more season.
C - J. Clark (recruit), left to G5
RG - Justice Oluwaseun (transfer), no professional career.
RT - DJ Scaife (recruit), no professional career

DE - A. Mesidor (transfer), two seasons left.
DE - J. Harvey (recruit), one season left.
DT - D. Jackson (transfer), left to FSU.
DT - L. Taylor (recruit), two seasons left.
LB - Corey Flagg (recruit), two seasons left.
LB - Waymon Steed (recruit), no professional career.
Star - Tecory Couch (recruit), two seasons left.
S - J. Williams (recruit), two seasons left.
S - K. Kitchens (recruit), two seasons left.
CB - DJ Ivey (recruit), chance to make NFL roster

2023 (Upcoming season)
QB - T. Van Dyke (recruit), final season.
RB - D. Chaney (recruit), two seasons.
WR - C. Young (recruit), three seasons left.
WR - R. Jospeh (recruit), four seasons left.
WR - J. George (recruit), two seasons left.
TE - J. Skinner (recruit), three seasons left.
LT - Z. Nelson (recruit), final season.
LG - A Cohen (transfer), two seasons left.
C - M. Lee (transfer), two seasons left.
RG - A. Cooper (recruit), three seasons left.
RT - Francis Mauigoa (recruit), four seasons left.

DE - N. Kelly (recruit), three seasons left.
DT - A. Moten (recruit), three seasons left.
LB - F. Mauigoa (transfer), two seasons left.
LB - R. Aguirre(recruit), four seasons left.
Striker - J. Harris (recruit), three seasons left.
CB - Davonte Brown (transfer), one season left.
CB - J. Richard (transfer), three seasons left.
Interesting you have Aguirre over Bissainthe
It’s nearly that time of year, where the news and information goes away until at least late June.

I wanted to ask the board what they thought about the turnover in the starting lineup over the last three seasons. I’m looking at just the early season depth charts to try to get as apples to apples as possible.

2021 (Manny’s last season)
QB - D. King (transfer), developmental league player.
RB - Cam Harris (recruit), no professional career.
WR - Key Smith (recruit), went G5.
WR - C. Rambo (transfer), developmental league player.
WR - Mike Harley (recruit), no professional career.
TE - Will Mallory (recruit), will get chance to make NFL roster.
LT - Zion Nelson (recruit), has been good when he plays.
LG - Jalen Rivers (recruit), may get NFL shot.
C - Corey Gaynor (recruit), one more season to play.
RG - N. Donaldson (recruit), no professional career.
RT - DJ Scaife (recruit), no professional career.

DE - Z. McCloud (recruit), no professional career.
DE - J. Harvey (recruit), one more season in CFB.
DT - J. Ford (recruit), on NFL roster.
DT - N. Silvera (recruit), chance to make NFL roster.
LB - Corey Flagg (recruit), one more season left.
LB - Keontra Smith (recruit), one more season left.
Striker - A. Carter (recruit), no professional career.
S - Bubba Bolden (transfer), no professional career.
S - Gurvan Hall (recruit), recipient of the legendary Highsmith Invisible Flute Award.
CB - DJ Ivey (recruit), chance to make NFL roster.

2022 (Fat Manny’s first season)
QB - Van Dyke (recruit), one more season.
RB - Henry Parrish (transfer), one more season.
WR - Key Smith (recruit), left to G5 level
WR - X Restrepo (recruit), two more seasons left.
WR - Michael Redding (recruit), one more season left.
TE - Will Mallory (recruit), will get opportunity to make NFL roster.
LT - J. Campbell (recruit), left to SEC
LG - J. Rivers (recruit), one more season.
C - J. Clark (recruit), left to G5
RG - Justice Oluwaseun (transfer), no professional career.
RT - DJ Scaife (recruit), no professional career

DE - J. Harvey (recruit), one season left.
DT - D. Jackson (transfer), left to FSU.
LB - Corey Flagg (recruit), two seasons left.
LB - Waymon Steed (recruit), no professional career.
Star - Tecory Couch (recruit), two seasons left.
CB - DJ Ivey (recruit), chance to make NFL roster

2023 (Upcoming season)
QB - T. Van Dyke (recruit), final season.
RB - D. Chaney (recruit), two seasons.
WR - C. Young (recruit), three seasons left.
WR - R. Jospeh (recruit), four seasons left.
WR - J. George (recruit), two seasons left.
TE - J. Skinner (recruit), three seasons left.
LT - Z. Nelson (recruit), final season.
LG - A Cohen (transfer), two seasons left.
C - M. Lee (transfer), two seasons left.
RG - A. Cooper (recruit), three seasons left.
RT - Francis Mauigoa (recruit), four seasons left.

DE - N. Kelly (recruit), three seasons left.
DT - A. Moten (recruit), three seasons left.
LB - F. Mauigoa (transfer), two seasons left.
LB - R. Aguirre(recruit), four seasons left.
Striker - J. Harris (recruit), three seasons left.
CB - Davonte Brown (transfer), one season left.
CB - J. Richard (transfer), three seasons left.
Curious as to why you have Aguirre over Bissainthe. I’m all for the best man winning. Do you have some insight here?

Advertisement
I doubt we’re winning more than 7 games lol. A few injuries and we still have zero depth throughout most the roster. FSU, Clemson, and A&M will beat us. Louisville will be tough, UNC & NCst can easily beat us. Winning 7 would be a good season especially if it looks better on both sides of the ball. It’d take a lot of luck with injuries and the ball bouncing our way for 8-9 wins. And bad luck for another 5-7, 6-6 team. Just being honest.

Interesting you have Aguirre over Bissainthe

Curious as to why you have Aguirre over Bissainthe. I’m all for the best man winning. Do you have some insight here?

That’s just a guess of mine. He’s physically superior to Bissainthe, but it’s about how well he picks up the scheme in the summer.

I’m willing to bet he’ll be close enough in the mental part of the game that he’ll be able to surpass WB in summer practices. Once he gets on the field and starts getting starter reps, he’ll be tough to take out.

We’re gonna be young. And before that the only nfl player was tyrique. And rivers is an nfl player but not at tackle. He’s a guard there. Which nullifies his nfl ability here

Advertisement
Back