Star vs. Striker

Advertisement
The thing is not just about size, atleast not how elite defensive coaches do it. It has to be someone who has good to great speed...combined with good to great tackle and ability to get around or off blocks. Its the same concept. Romeo Finley was the best one we had playing there. Another Al Golden player. For some reason Frierson was one of our better defenders playing there in 2020 and then we barely saw him in 2021. Manny was into that politics. But that's his nature aint it?

There is no difference it’s literally the exact same position with a different name.

It’s a Hybrid Safety/LB that is used in Nickel Coverage, every single Defense has one.
1647192705640.gif

Striker vs Star
1647193118271.gif

Isn't the nickel traditionally more a pass defender while the striker/star needs to be a little bigger for greater run support and bigger bodies?
Originally, the nickel was a 3rd corner who came into the game in passing situations when the offense would bring a 3rd wideout into the game.
Now any play is a 'passing situation' and teams routinely run 3 and 4 wr sets, even 5 ocassionally. With 3 WIDEOUTS being the norm, and defenses spread out, a 3rd lb on the field is nearly obselete. So a S type that's versatile enough to tackle like a lb against the run and cover like a db against the pass is needed. Thus the Striker/Star position is the defense's counter to the modern offensive attack.

Advertisement
Originally, the nickel was a 3rd corner who came into the game in passing situations when the offense would bring a 3rd wideout into the game.
Now any play is a 'passing situation' and teams routinely run 3 and 4 wr sets, even 5 ocassionally. With 3 WIDEOUTS being the norm, and defenses spread out, a 3rd lb on the field is nearly obselete. So a S type that's versatile enough to tackle like a lb against the run and cover like a db against the pass is needed. Thus the Striker/Star position is the defense's counter to the modern offensive attack.
Normally when a coach refers to a “nickel” he’s talking about a third cornerback. Really it’s all semantics. The nickel, star, striker, whatever you want to call it is just a SAM linebacker

I may have missed it, but did anyone note if Chase Smith is being slotted as 2nd team Star behind Gil, or moved over to the Will spot behind Steed and Keontra? Or is that still undecided?

Advertisement
No much of a difference, but it sounds like the STAR will mainly play in coverage (i.e SS) versus with Manny… he had the striker close to the line for the run (i.e WLB). UF utilizes the star position and those guys are in the nfl balling. Duke Dawson, Keanu Neal, Marcus Maye. I see our Star being in that mold.

all you need to know is that the same people making fun of us having a 'striker' will be the same ones excited that we have a new cool position called 'star' because CIS gonna CIS

Advertisement
I may have missed it, but did anyone note if Chase Smith is being slotted as 2nd team Star behind Gil, or moved over to the Will spot behind Steed and Keontra? Or is that still undecided?
Gil isn’t slated to start at any position. That hasn’t been decided. We’ll know a lot more after fall. With 16 guys out, the spring game is an opportunity for guys to learn the new system and prove to the staff that they’re mentally capable of being here. Some, more than others, have a LOT to prove.

Gil isn’t slated to start at any position. That hasn’t been decided. We’ll know a lot more after fall. With 16 guys out, the spring game is an opportunity for guys to learn the new system and prove to the staff that they’re mentally capable of being here. Some, more than others, have a LOT to prove.

Very fair and appropriate. … revising my question, is Chase competing for time more with Frierson or more with Steed and Keontra?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back