Stanford Recruiting?

1. It is the premier university in our country
2. Go spend a day in Palo Alto

I am very close with the Men's Tennis staff at Stanford. He told me that in his 8 years there that only 1 kid they got in didn't commit there. The individual that didn't commit had a sister there that had a bad experience with their swim coach. Bottom line is if you get in to Stanford you are a fool for going elsewhere

Advertisement
that football team was a doormat until 2010 look it up. elway was the first round pick and could not help them. they hired elways dad to get the number 1 qb in the nation and you guys are on our site representing stanford they just like old miss got tired of losing now go follow their players from 2010 because thats when it started or 2009 there is a bagman every where now, so skip me the holier than thou stanford act.

We were a doormat until Schnelly showed up. Is it because he dropped bags, or did he just have a vision and a plan to execute it?

I'm not so nave to think that they don't meddle in some of that paying players business, but I also don't assume that every success story in CFB is due to $ being dropped.

The 2 OT's you mention , who are in the top 10, are both big ole white boys who might have parents that nudged them towards Stanford (a school who has had a lot of success at that position recently).

Last edited:
that football team was a doormat until 2010 look it up. elway was the first round pick and could not help them. they hired elways dad to get the number 1 qb in the nation and you guys are on our site representing stanford they just like old miss got tired of losing now go follow their players from 2010 because thats when it started or 2009 there is a bagman every where now, so skip me the holier than thou stanford act.

Lol at Stanford dropping bags.

I am very close with the Men's Tennis staff at Stanford. He told me that in his 8 years there that only 1 kid they got in didn't commit there. The individual that didn't commit had a sister there that had a bad experience with their swim coach. Bottom line is if you get in to Stanford you are a fool for going elsewhere

Football wise maybe, but if you are talking about blue blooded sports I'm choosing ivy every day

Football wise maybe, but if you are talking about blue blooded sports I'm choosing ivy every day

hard to argue but give me sunshine and the Bay Area

Advertisement

Eh we suck at all the main sports: football, basketball, and baseball. But the odd sports is where the conference shines (tennis, fencing, archery, etc). Source: Columbia Undergrad

I live in Southern CA and my son played football at a school that has put 3 in Stanford Football including a 5 * TE in this years class.

Stanford is a destination school and the crown jewel for student-athletes in the west coast. They do their homework and target a niche. It demonstrates how a school can be solid athletically, excellent academically and attract great high character athletes.

I bleed the U and rep proudly here to the dismay of some. Stanford is an amazing school that even the U has difficulty competing with for west coast recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanford has generally never had issues recruiting QB and OL so this isn't unusual. The struggle is getting athletes with the academic standards. Obviously great school. BUT it is not for everyone. You are basically going to an Ivy League school and playing major D1 football. Very little time for anything else and the girls are pretty busted.

Advertisement
Stanford has the best combo of top academics and sports in the country. And it ain't even close. Stanford wins the trophy each year awarded to the school with the combined best performance by its men's and women's teams. They've won 20+ years in a row.

It's unbelievable that this has to be described to anyone. Demonstrates how clueless East Coast types can be, and generally are. Stanford is dominant or near dominant in one sport after another. Katie Ledecky is a freshman on the swimming team, joining fellow gold medalist Simone Manuel. Stanford, Texas and Georgia are expected to have a close battle for the national title. The Stanford women's volleyball team just won another national championship a few weeks ago, their seventh title in that sport. The women's golf team won the title two years ago. Stanford and USC have been monopolizing the water polo title for the past 6 or 7 years, with Stanford winning most of them.

Palo Alto is relaxing and amazing. And when you go to school on the West Coast all of those sports are high profile and popular. Volleyball was easily my favorite sport to attend while at USC in the early '80s, since it was obvious what an awesome era it was. USC had future Olympic greats Steve Timmons and Dusty Dvorak while UCLA had the incomparable Karch Kiraly. I was a sportswriter for the Daily Trojan and used to interview Karch after every big match. He was extremely high class and always volunteered to answer more and more questions along with providing his number in case I needed to ask something else, just like Ronnie Lott would do in football interviews.

Naturally a SAM rebuttal is to scoff at sports like that. Football...growl....football...spit...football...scowl. If it isn't football we don't care and it doesn't matter. Maybe basketball and baseball once in a while.

Of course, if Miami were dominating the so-called minor sports we'd be bragging about it. Those shirts would be different.

Stanford started winning the major offensive line battles several years ago. Swiped many elite guys from USC at the last minute. On USC boards there was some dismissal, with conventional wisdom types dismissing it as a blip. But the sharpest guys on those boards warned that it was logical and would likely continue. It has. As others have mentioned in this thread, Stanford targets a very narrow group of guys so they don't spread resources and have an amazing connect rate. Harbaugh followed Schembechler's insistence to feature a fullback and tight end. David Shaw has continued it. So Stanford has become a premier destination for those positions also.

Defensive line will likely become the next area Stanford makes a dent. Solomon Thomas is as smart and well spoken as they come. He had arguably the best bowl game of any pro prospect this season and is a favorite to excel at the combine and shoot up the draft boards. He is already forecast to first round and I've seen him mocked as high as number 3 on a Seahawks blog. The Seahawks writers are always several steps ahead of the standard sources because they are aware of SPARQ numbers and vital aspects like arm length and hand size, things Pete Carroll and John Schneider prioritize.

Granted, there are far fewer defensive line prospects who check all the smarts and grades and test score boxes like the offensive tackle types. Solomon Thomas immediately stood out as a cut above during his signing day interview three years ago. He donned Nerd Nation glasses and playfully mocked the Stanford image.

BTW, I've never heard that image associated with bags of under the table cash. Nice desperation.

Yeah I always say if I had scholarship offers from Miami, USC, and Stanford I would never consider anyone else, like at all.

I'd never be surprised to see top talent choose these schools over anyone because it's what I would do.

Advertisement
Stanford has the best combo of top academics and sports in the country. And it ain't even close. Stanford wins the trophy each year awarded to the school with the combined best performance by its men's and women's teams. They've won 20+ years in a row.

It's unbelievable that this has to be described to anyone. Demonstrates how clueless East Coast types can be, and generally are. Stanford is dominant or near dominant in one sport after another. Katie Ledecky is a freshman on the swimming team, joining fellow gold medalist Simone Manuel. Stanford, Texas and Georgia are expected to have a close battle for the national title. The Stanford women's volleyball team just won another national championship a few weeks ago, their seventh title in that sport. The women's golf team won the title two years ago. Stanford and USC have been monopolizing the water polo title for the past 6 or 7 years, with Stanford winning most of them.

Palo Alto is relaxing and amazing. And when you go to school on the West Coast all of those sports are high profile and popular. Volleyball was easily my favorite sport to attend while at USC in the early '80s, since it was obvious what an awesome era it was. USC had future Olympic greats Steve Timmons and Dusty Dvorak while UCLA had the incomparable Karch Kiraly. I was a sportswriter for the Daily Trojan and used to interview Karch after every big match. He was extremely high class and always volunteered to answer more and more questions along with providing his number in case I needed to ask something else, just like Ronnie Lott would do in football interviews.

Naturally a SAM rebuttal is to scoff at sports like that. Football...growl....football...spit...football...scowl. If it isn't football we don't care and it doesn't matter. Maybe basketball and baseball once in a while.

Of course, if Miami were dominating the so-called minor sports we'd be bragging about it. Those shirts would be different.

Stanford started winning the major offensive line battles several years ago. Swiped many elite guys from USC at the last minute. On USC boards there was some dismissal, with conventional wisdom types dismissing it as a blip. But the sharpest guys on those boards warned that it was logical and would likely continue. It has. As others have mentioned in this thread, Stanford targets a very narrow group of guys so they don't spread resources and have an amazing connect rate. Harbaugh followed Schembechler's insistence to feature a fullback and tight end. David Shaw has continued it. So Stanford has become a premier destination for those positions also.

Defensive line will likely become the next area Stanford makes a dent. Solomon Thomas is as smart and well spoken as they come. He had arguably the best bowl game of any pro prospect this season and is a favorite to excel at the combine and shoot up the draft boards. He is already forecast to first round and I've seen him mocked as high as number 3 on a Seahawks blog. The Seahawks writers are always several steps ahead of the standard sources because they are aware of SPARQ numbers and vital aspects like arm length and hand size, things Pete Carroll and John Schneider prioritize.

Granted, there are far fewer defensive line prospects who check all the smarts and grades and test score boxes like the offensive tackle types. Solomon Thomas immediately stood out as a cut above during his signing day interview three years ago. He donned Nerd Nation glasses and playfully mocked the Stanford image.

BTW, I've never heard that image associated with bags of under the table cash. Nice desperation.

You better hope you never sit in my section on gameday

You think the highlight of your life was watching guys play volleyball?

Jesus wept. I'll crank you right back into the 70's old geezer

As much as it pains me to say it, as a Cal grad, if my kid had an offer from Stanford, I cant think of a better choice.

Its been discussed in three pages here but the truth is very few schools recruit at a national level but Stanford does. Watch a Stanford game and you truly will see kids from high schools across the country. Its not about "bag men" but its about quality of education, reputation, campus life, exposure on a national stage and all the intangibles every school should wish they have. Many schools, like Miami, have some of these but none have all to the extent Stanford does.

and, I hate the place.

GO BEARS!

I was a sportswriter for the Daily Trojan and used to interview Karch after every big match. He was extremely high class and always volunteered to answer more and more questions along with providing his number in case I needed to ask something else, just like Ronnie Lott would do in football interviews.

How did Karch ever get a word in with you interviewing him?

Advertisement
I was a sportswriter for the Daily Trojan and used to interview Karch after every big match. He was extremely high class and always volunteered to answer more and more questions along with providing his number in case I needed to ask something else, just like Ronnie Lott would do in football interviews.

How did Karch ever get a word in with you interviewing him?

upvote

You better hope you never sit in my section on gameday

You think the highlight of your life was watching guys play volleyball?

Jesus wept. I'll crank you right back into the 70's old geezer

Dooger is actually my favorite poster (I know, I'm alone), but this was hysterical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Stanford's endowment LOL. They don't even charge tuition anymore I hear. If you get in, they find a way for you to attend.

Cool stories old timer. Nice read

Advertisement
Back