Staff Travels - 1/18

Advertisement
Some things lead me to believe we're fairly confident with who's on board and who isn't at this point:

- Most of the recent attention has shifted to 2018-19 recruits
- Beyond S Tariq Carpenter and OL Toryque Bateman, we've heard no new names at any of the "open" positions - WR, OL, DB...
- Still think we take 2-3 more WRs on NSD. I like that there are still half a dozen names out there, including legit grad transfer guys in case somebody tries to pull a hat-job on us on NSD

Plenty can change in two weeks, and of course "being confident" doesn't always translate into signatures, but for now at least it looks like the staff has a pretty good idea of how NSD will shake down - and contingencies in place if it doesn't...

Coach Richt always had a couple guys he knew were coming on NSD while at Ga. I am hoping for Thomas, but have a better feeling that Smith is one of those guys that he has locked up.

I think JT gets sealed up this weekend but I want him to announce on NSD. I want an elite player who they'll be gushing over on ESPN committing to us and saying what we have here and the future he sees that some of this divas and others refuse to acknowledge

Advertisement
Dugans is with kool and richt at east St. Louis highschool(Thomas hs) right now per Andrew ivins

Fwiw, Thomas isn't even mentioned anymore on Knoxville radio interviews with Vol Rivals, 247, etc. Feels like the field for competitors is thinning.

Yep - even vol fans think it's a Louisville/Miami battle. Would love to land that kid.

Jackson has 1 year and he's gone to the NFL....come in and possibly play with Perry

Richt will be with Kool today.

The fact that Richt is going to see Thomas this week leads me to believe we are way ahead.

He wants to lock down the commitment on campus this weekend and for Thomas to cancel the Tennessee visit.

If we were behind, he would visit Thomas next week.

boom.gif

Advertisement
You have to believe at this point that Jeff Thomas is committed to Miami but the coaches want him to visit and be sure before he goes public.

You have to believe at this point that Jeff Thomas is committed to Miami but the coaches want him to visit and be sure before he goes public.

committed and he's never stepped on campus or even met a member of the staff? Think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves on here...

Have we ever even gone to visit him before?

committed and he's never stepped on campus or even met a member of the staff? Think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves on here...

Have we ever even gone to visit him before?
Miami has been recruiting him all throughout last year especially during the summertime. At one point I remember other than bama he named Miami as another school that stood out to him

Richt will be with Kool today.

The fact that Richt is going to see Thomas this week leads me to believe we are way ahead.

He wants to lock down the commitment on campus this weekend and for Thomas to cancel the Tennessee visit.

If we were behind, he would visit Thomas next week.

Also, I love how he has handled the Smith situation. Wouldn't be surprised if he visits him tomorrow to take some of the FSU visit off his mind, and insert himself before the Bama visit, setting up a great close during his OV here. He could also choose to visit next week before our OV and go full court press that week. Either way, it shows he was ready for things even we did not see coming like the FSU visit.

I agree.... also just because we didnt see the FSU visit coming doesnt mean the staff didnt.

I feel like Golden and co wouldnt have seen it coming, but Richt has been in the game a long time and probably has contacts out there

Bingo. When I read the article on the FSU visit I thought the same exact thing. This was under the radar to most, but it hit me that Richt was prepared all along. A bunch on here wanted to know why he hadn't visited Smith, and this made sense. He wanted to see everyone else's cards. Golden for sure would have gone already. Huge difference in the approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden be sweating profusely

Advertisement
Advertisement
Some things lead me to believe we're fairly confident with who's on board and who isn't at this point:

- Most of the recent attention has shifted to 2018-19 recruits
- Beyond S Tariq Carpenter and OL Toryque Bateman, we've heard no new names at any of the "open" positions - WR, OL, DB...
- Still think we take 2-3 more WRs on NSD. I like that there are still half a dozen names out there, including legit grad transfer guys in case somebody tries to pull a hat-job on us on NSD

Plenty can change in two weeks, and of course "being confident" doesn't always translate into signatures, but for now at least it looks like the staff has a pretty good idea of how NSD will shake down - and contingencies in place if it doesn't...

Strong post, Ghost. Their focus on future classes was the first thing that struck me because it says so much about 2017. They feel good at RB, good at WR, but are still taking 1 backup each at OL and S. That means they're NOT concerned about CB between Dean, Henderson and playing Dallas there if needed (and maybe even Davis??). We're going to lose some battles, for sure. But I think we'll get what we need.

Advertisement
Back