Staff Observation: Rumph

All I wanna know is are yall gonna hold every coach on staff to this same standard?

Are yall keeping this same energy with all of'em?
NOPE they don’t , which is what my complaint was from the beginning, whole staff can’t recruit like that yet rumph got/gets thoroughly scrutinized for it. Not saying he’s a great recruiter at all because that’s far from the case but neither was any of the rest of the guys on defense

Advertisement
NOPE they don’t , which is what my complaint was from the beginning, whole staff can’t recruit like that yet rumph got/gets thoroughly scrutinized for it. Not saying he’s a great recruiter at all because that’s far from the case but neither was any of the rest of the guys on defense
So if Patke, Baker, Banda or Simpson miss on recruiting the same way Rumph does are yall gonna say but they're great coaches so it doesn't matter? That's what I'm asking.

So if Patke, Baker, Banda or Simpson miss on recruiting the same way Rumph does are yall gonna say but they're great coaches so it doesn't matter? That's what I'm asking.
What you mean if? They been missing lol, In the past I’ve said Banda is a good coach but his recruiting is overrated by many imo he has his deficiencies in that area too like rumph

I don't think he's an awful recruiter. He just doesn't have the resume as some of the other DB coaches he's going up against. Once he gets guys like MJack and Bandy in the league balling, he will be fine. I don't expect him to be an elite recruiter but he will get kids who see how good he is at developing his DBs.

Not only is he going up against bags in some cases but he's also got other coaches saying I put so and so in the league, what has he done.

Advertisement
What you mean if? They been missing lol, In the past I’ve said Banda is a good coach but his recruiting is overrated by many imo he has his deficiencies in that area to like rumph
I'm just asking where the goalposts are & what the standard is, that's all I wanted to know.

People just want new 5 star toys every year. The truth is that if 3 and 4 star guys are developping just as good as the 5 stars then Rumph is doing hs job. Sor far no complaints. Every year it seems he has 1 or 2 guys that make a huge leap and become very good .
That’s not exactly true... well Developed 5 stars will steal the lunch money from the well developed 3 and 4s.

Problem is that poorly developed 4 and 5s are gonna lose to lesser talent with better coaching... like UM losing to uva, Duke, Pitt, etc the last decade and a half.

Given a choice between well coached 3 and 4s and poorly coached 5s, I’ll take the 3 and 4s.

People around here disagree for some reason.

I think dudes here expected Rumph to get the guys he coached in high school. Not so sure that’s fair tho.

Advertisement
Rumor has a lot to sell as a coach now. Top 15 passing defense a couple times now, and the #1 pass D last year.

Never seen surtain as a realistic option
I’m not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to recruiting, but I didn’t expect him either, or many other of the local 5 stars, based on what this program has been the last 15 years.

Didn’t someone tuned in say that Banda is a good recruiter and solid with teaching techniques but absolutely clueless as an X’s and O’s/scheme coach and Rumph was the one holding the secondary together in terms of where to line up, etc.

I could’ve sworn I saw that sometime last year.
kinda scary if true because he was promoted to dc.

Advertisement
My biggest issue with Rumph on field wise was how bad Dean always looked, next guy needs to be just as good as the starter

Advertisement
In general I think most people are taking the missing out on top talent thing too far. Of course we want to land the 5 stars more frequently but the reality is some of the ones we missed on were not coming here no matter who were recruiting them. Why would they. There are realistically only two things that would have and can change that dynamic, winning on the field or getting supplemental support like we had with Nevin Shapiro.

Last year's misses with Campbell and Surtain Jr in particular are way over hyped and people keep blaming Rumph as the fall guy. Blades Jr, Ivey, and Frierson (even Bethel has talent and could turn out to be a player) solid gets in their own right. The db room is far from bare, so we will be ok I believe. Plus if we had a CB coach who was great at recruiting but wasn't getting our guys to perform on the field, everyone would be arguing for the opposite saying we need someone who can coach (See Searles with Donaldson, St. Louis, Herbert and etc. 5/4 stars who have not performed up to their ratings).

And our new DC Blake Baker made a comment in his interview that is true and that we need to realize and embrace. A slightly less talented player can out work a more talented player and be the better player when its all said and done.

I find it hard to believe we would not be a better team with a Jobe or Campbell or TS on the team right now. But we've got Dean and Knowles.

Recruiting matters.
Yea... previous regimes needed 5 star guys to win the coastal. They couldn’t beat uva with just a bunch of 4s.

Dude not leaving Muschamp for anything less than a HC spot, and only a good one at that
Why? Much better talent here plus Scar recruiting classes haven’t exactly been star studded

Money - if you pay more

Less traveling to recruit Clemson gets all the best kids out the Carolinas minus a few

While trob wouldn’t have to leave the state! That man puts in work in your Dade, Broward, PBC and Tampa

Advertisement
Back