Staff Observation: Rumph

RedSquare

Freshman
Posted similar elsewhere, but one observation ….

On Rumph, of all the staff on that side of the ball, he's probably received the most scrutiny and criticism.

Yet, it's Manny that has had the most connection to whether or not he's doing a good job. Certainly, if he was not pleased or thought the opportunity was right for a change, or if our new DC was not comfortable, Manny could have (and would have) immediately removed Rumph and not looked back. The same way Manny didn't hesitate to significantly upgrade the offensive staff. He cut their throats and replaced them all with much better guys,

That he has kept Rumph as part of the staff going forward, now that he's fully in charge, leads me to believe that Manny sees:

1) Rumph's coaching gets results from his guys, … (hard to be No. 1 in Pass D if the guy doesn't know how to coach CB's), and maybe,

2) the challenges on the recruiting trail with some of the South Florida kids was not entirely within Rumph's control. Perhaps, and just perhaps, the blame for recruiting misses lies elsewhere and that is directly being (or will be) addressed.

Either way, if Manny is right, we will know, and if he's not, I'm pretty sure he'll make the necessary changes.

Advertisement
There are some things you just can't recruit against as every recruit has specific reasons for wanting to attend other schools. I remember some years ago I was listening to a local Atlanta radio show and Darrell Revis was on there. The hosts asked him what made him choose Pitt over in state powerhouse Penn State. He said during his visit to PSU he saw that it was in the middle of nowhere and became disinterested. I suspect that may be part of the reason some of the other kids went elsewhere, to get out of SFL. Also, I don't see how posters on this site will talk all day about schools like Bama, UGA, Clemson dropping bags yet blame Rumph when we lose out on recruits to those schools when it's pretty obvious that Miami can't compete in the bag game.

Advertisement
I find it hard to believe we would not be a better team with a Jobe or Campbell or TS on the team right now. But we've got Dean and Knowles.

Recruiting matters.

Rumph bout to have a first rounder this year in a guy I think most ppl probably forgot was even on the roster three seasons ago.

He did good work w Corn. Malek was a dog before injury.

His recruiting is suspect af, but I'm willing to that bet if Manny had cleaned house on defense Rumph would've landed another college or NFL job before Simpson, Banda, and Patke.

He's gotta start landing the premier dbs down here tho. No excuses. Can't fall back on coaching only.

Advertisement
Rumph bout to have a first rounder this year in a guy I think most ppl probably forgot was even on the roster three seasons ago.

He did good work w Corn. Malek was a dog before injury.

His recruiting is suspect af, but I'm willing to that bet if Manny had cleaned house on defense Rumph would've landed another college or NFL job before Simpson, Banda, and Patke.

He's gotta start landing the premier dbs down here tho. No excuses. Can't fall back on coaching only.

I will say this: He's very well liked by several NFL people as a coach on the rise.

If we have back to back 10 win seasons and truly compete against Clemson I would put money that we can sign a top south Florida DB. Until we get to that point those dudes will flock to bama, Clemson and UGA because they are the teams winning.

I’m okay with Rumph coaching the **** out of the tier 2 south Florida dB’s And making men out of the 3 stars on the roster (MJ). If he fails to recruit well after we have sustained success on the field then yeah maybe move on from him. But if the CB’s are playing well within their role then so be it.

Advertisement
Didn’t someone tuned in say that Banda is a good recruiter and solid with teaching techniques but absolutely clueless as an X’s and O’s/scheme coach and Rumph was the one holding the secondary together in terms of where to line up, etc.

I could’ve sworn I saw that sometime last year.

Advertisement
Didn’t someone tuned in say that Banda is a good recruiter and solid with teaching techniques but absolutely clueless as an X’s and O’s/scheme coach and Rumph was the one holding the secondary together in terms of where to line up, etc.

I could’ve sworn I saw that sometime last year.
Brooklyn Dee has been saying that for a few years now.

If we have back to back 10 win seasons and truly compete against Clemson I would put money that we can sign a top south Florida DB. Until we get to that point those dudes will flock to bama, Clemson and UGA because they are the teams winning.

I’m okay with Rumph coaching the **** out of the tier 2 south Florida dB’s And making men out of the 3 stars on the roster (MJ). If he fails to recruit well after we have sustained success on the field then yeah maybe move on from him. But if the CB’s are playing well within their role then so be it.
10 wins this year? U see that much improvement? Would be pretty **** impressive for first year head coach learning on the job

I could def see it the talent is there just needs better coaching also not sure there’s a ****tier division in cfb then acc coastal

Best of luck tho except the opener

Definitely would love to see Mia beat willie and the semenholes by 30

Advertisement
Back