Staff Changes - 1/2 AM Update

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Barring contract delays, I’d expect to hear something announced by the end of the week at offensive coordinator. Coming out of the holidays, I’ve heard former UNC head coach Larry Fedora is indeed the leading candidate. I’m told there’s mutual interest here and Manny is working hard to make it happen. I also heard Fedora turned down the FSU OC job earlier this offseason, so he's truly looking for a place that's the right fit.

The other name I’ve heard thrown around is former Miami OC and current Georgia co-OC James Coley. At least one current staffer is pushing for Coley to get the job. I’m told Manny is absolutely out to make a splash with the hire and is thinking big. For this reason, if Miami can’t come to terms with Fedora, I’d expect other names to emerge first before Coley becomes a leading candidate.

Since Manny won’t settle for anyone too green, if Louisville QB coach Frank Ponce joins the staff, I’m told it would be in the same capacity, not as OC.

For RB coach, I can confirm Miami’s top target is Penn State RB coach Ja’Juan Seider, and there’s mutual interest coming from both sides. The biggest issue is going to be coming to an agreeable figure on the financial side. This is in the early stages so still a lot developing here.

that staffer needs to be shown the door.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Got to appreciate Manny going for big time hires. We cannot accept green guys at the coordinator positions anymore. Look what Saban does. He hires former head coaches for the most part and up and comers. Perfect mix of experience and new ideas. It will be easier for Manny if he has a former HC on staff to help him with the offense.

He technically has not hired anyone as of yet, but everything that he has done so far has been in a "thinking big" capacity. I don't mind him keeping Banda and Patke on the staff, as long as they are not DC's.

Agreed 100%
How is he settling if he running basically the same thing Manny was running?

You are naive if you think Banda will be as good as Manny is. Manny is a CEO now. He should seek to hire someone better than he is...so that he can hold them to a even higher standard. Hiring one of your flunkies who has never called Defensive plays is settling. A major mistake.

A defensive coordinator with only 3 years of Collegiate coaching experience is bad for recruiting Optics. Can you imagine the negative recruiting? "Well, their defensive coordinator has never called plays. The defensive coordinator has only been coaching for three years."

Advertisement
Back