Stadium

olegs23

Freshman
With this type of commitment to the football program do you guys think a new stadium is a real possibility now? Frenk, appears to be the real by opening up UMs wallet. I wonder if it was brought up in contract negotiations. Power move by the administration.

Advertisement
Let's get an IPF first. Richt was promised one at UGA and never got one. They have this crappy 50 yard outside practice field. It's pathetic.

I think the only viable option is either hitching on to Beckham's deal (which seemed unlikely as he only wants 20-25k seat stadium), or Tropical Park -- which could cause local interests to go to war to prevent.

You never know -- this is a big step in the right direction -- but it just seems like there would be too much politics involved to get anything done anytime soon.

stop_stop_i_m_gonna_pee[1].jpg

The only ones who complain about the STADIUM is the crying fans. The players complain about the crying fans who dont go and blame the stadium. You can't even fill a division 1 football stadium if the entire student body of University of Miami went to the game so I don't think that the location of the stadium (one that is great enough that the NFL wants to hold super bowls in) is the problem.

Also the orange bowl was often a ghost town. Excuses and selective memory. A world class NFL stadium is actually attractive to recruits. Ya'll act like recruits would rather play in a on campus high school stadium like FAU.

Advertisement
The only ones who complain about the STADIUM is the crying fans. The players complain about the crying fans who dont go and blame the stadium. You can't even fill a division 1 football stadium if the entire student body of University of Miami went to the game so I don't think that the location of the stadium (one that is great enough that the NFL wants to hold super bowls in) is the problem.

Also the orange bowl was often a ghost town. Excuses and selective memory. A world class NFL stadium is actually attractive to recruits. Ya'll act like recruits would rather play in a on campus high school stadium like FAU.

yeah i could care less, i live closer to Sunlife.

How much less could you care?

The only ones who don't care or like SLS are the ones who live closer to the stadium. They put themselves before the program.

Let's get an IPF first. Richt was promised one at UGA and never got one. They have this crappy 50 yard outside practice field. It's pathetic.

Agreed. Just curious though -- where would an IPF go if it gets built? Not much room behind Hecht/close to the practice fields. Maybe cut the intramural fields in half?

Advertisement

The student body isn't suppose to fill a stadium they're suppose to fill the student section. The majority of fans are either graduated or never went to the U. I think that's the real problem, a lot of Canes fans aren't even in Miami anymore.

And people are wondering why he sounded relived to move on to another opportunity at his press conference. Apparently UGA isn't as serious about football as many people think, and they foisted that CEO mentality they wanted him to embrace as opposed to being a hands on coach. How lucky are we to get a fully motivated Mark Richt????

The only ones who don't care or like SLS are the ones who live closer to the stadium. They put themselves before the program.

Please explain how a smaller, harder to get to stadium helps the program? You mean all the thousands of fans are just waiting to bust through the gates, but they are like, nah forget it I dont want to go to a world class nfl stadium, that is easy to get to, and by the way we have a super long lease with?

The student body isn't suppose to fill a stadium they're suppose to fill the student section. The majority of fans are either graduated or never went to the U. I think that's the real problem, a lot of Canes fans aren't even in Miami anymore.

Exactly which is impossible to fix with a new stadium.

Advertisement

Please explain how a smaller, harder to get to stadium helps the program? You mean all the thousands of fans are just waiting to bust through the gates, but they are like, nah forget it I dont want to go to a world class nfl stadium, that is easy to get to, and by the way we have a super long lease with?

Yeah, a more intimate stadium closer to campus and the majority of the fan base makes less sense than playing at the "world class" (what a joke) stadium in the middle of no where. SLS sucks. Nothing world class about it.

Yeah, a more intimate stadium closer to campus and the majority of the fan base makes less sense than playing at the "world class" (what a joke) stadium in the middle of no where. SLS sucks. Nothing world class about it.

What do you think closer to campus accomplishes? Shorter bus ride? Sounds like some Randy Shannon logic. Recollecting that grueling trek to the field at Duke. You can't be world class with a stadium like FAU.

Advertisement

What makes you say the majority of the fan base is near the campus?

What percentage of fans who go to games are from 305 vs 954 vs 561?

I go to every game and hate SLS. It is a shthole for CFB.

I like that the problem isn't not enough fans, it's too many seats. I think something closer to campus is cool, but it's going to be even more embarrassing when half of a 40k seat stadium is empty. The problem, if it is a problem, is and always has been the fans. I was at UM back in the 90s and the only non-marquee game we ever went to was A&M, and you know we didn't go for the game. Stadium was 40% full before the half and empty after. Miami fans are, by nature, lazy. They don't care about watching their team if it doesn't really mean something, so the stadium will remain partially empty.

It's not laziness of the part of the fans. Miami fans are, and always have been, all about perceived entertainment value. Give them a good UM team AND a good opponent, and they will show up. About the only teams that will draw well regardless of those two factors are ND, UF (most of the time) and FSU.

They aren't going to show up for Arky St. no matter how good we are. That's the way it has always been. SLS has nothing to do with it, IMO.

And...I don't know where the perception that all cane fans live close to campus comes from.

Advertisement
Back