MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Respectfully, we’re talking about bikes and scooters to a game on a dedicated bike/scooter lane that doesn’t currently exist? That’s 4 miles away? Yeah sure you might get a couple of dozen people doing that. Assuming they make a scooter lane the 4 miles from campus to tropical park.

This is the point where I accept that if I post any more on the subject I will officially be a grown man arguing about traffic on the internet. :)

Tapping out.

Advertisement
Really because I live between campus and TP and see them all over. Tons of Miami fans, students, faculty, employees and alumni live walking distance from TP, they just have never had a decent reason to consider walking there since the place is ghetto and run down like Bicentennial and South Pointe once were. The people who live nearby and who oppose it refuse to acknowledge that the park itself would be greatly improved.

And people let's dispel any notion that TP is not walking distance from campus. Less than 1 hour by foot from St. Augustine Church. If Miami plays a night game at TP in November that's a brisk evening constitutional if one were so inclined. Everyone should be so lucky.
I bet a lot of employees and others live over there, but for the most part it’s not where students live. Most are Campus, Red Roads, Vox, Standard, Thesis, the UVs. Places like that host a lot of the campus’ population. I know a few that have houses out on miller but that not a whole lot of them. Those that do live out that way are car dependent and drive to classes. **** around half of students by sunset place/ south miami bike, scooter, or drive to classes, if they aren’t walking from there to campus, they aren’t walking to Tropical

The last thing I will say on this, is that if tropical park is built the bus service will 100% continue so walking would be pointless. It’d be an hour+ bike/ walk that would require brand new pedestrian infrastructure that has no other use besides funneling a few students from a handful of football games a year to a private university for a 4mile stretch. Other than the games I can see very little purpose for the new bike path. Let’s worry about if the stadium is gonna get built first before we worry abt a potential 4mile basically exclusive bike path.

It would be a 20 minute bike/scooter ride from campus and might entail widening the sidewalk a bit to create something like the Old Cutler trail. They're currently redoing the M path along US1 that no one uses, and once had plans to make the Ludlam Trail into a thing. The city is glad to create more cyclist/pedestrian friendly thouroughfares and people from the Gables and South Miami would use it plenty if Tropical Park gets a makeover. As of now there's zero reason for anyone from Coral Gables to head west but a brand new park 20 minutes away on bike using a dedicated bike/walking path would get tons of use. The only downside would be people from westchester wandering east into and discovering all of what's outside their city limits.

It would be a 20 minute bike/scooter ride from campus and might entail widening the sidewalk a bit to create something like the Old Cutler trail. They're currently redoing the M path along US1 that no one uses, and once had plans to make the Ludlam Trail into a thing. The city is glad to create more cyclist/pedestrian friendly thouroughfares and people from the Gables and South Miami would use it plenty if Tropical Park gets a makeover. As of now there's zero reason for anyone from Coral Gables to head west but a brand new park 20 minutes away on bike using a dedicated bike/walking path would get tons of use. The only downside would be people from westchester wandering east into and discovering all of what's outside their city limits.
I rode scooters all over Atlanta and GT campus for the game. So much fun. Kids will definitely be using those to get to TP.

Advertisement
It’s 10min from Campus to Sunset place, it’d be much to tropical park from campus

Edit: and 10 is underselling a bit too.

Students won’t be walking to TP but they won’t need to. Lol. I am confident the university and city will find ways to make transportation convenient for a game 5-10 minutes away from campus.

Students won’t be walking to TP but they won’t need to. Lol. I am confident the university and city will find ways to make transportation convenient for a game 5-10 minutes away from campus.
We will just keep our bus lines like we already do, I don’t see why this is even a discussion

I'm not as confident about finding ways to get people there from campus by automobile considering the limited options. I envision a bumper-to bumper traffic nightmare in every direction honestly which is why I think some would hoof it.

My recurring wet dream is a streetcar right down the center of Miller from campus to TP like St. Charles Ave in New Orleans. Not sure if it was @TheOriginalCane who had that idea, or if I'm making that part up. I just think it would look cool and provide some charm.

Advertisement
I'm not as confident about finding ways to get people there from campus by automobile considering the limited options. I envision a bumper-to bumper traffic nightmare in every direction honestly which is why I think some would hoof it.

My recurring wet dream is a streetcar right down the center of Miller from campus to TP like St. Charles Ave in New Orleans. Not sure if it was @TheOriginalCane who had that idea, or if I'm making that part up. I just think it would look cool and provide some charm.
Lmao at the streetcar idea. Also they can just set up a recurring loop from Miller circle straight on Miller road, assuming there will still be a southern entrance. Should take no longer than 15min at worst, that’s almost a 45min improvement over hard rock. While it still requires busses, that’s a massive decrease in travel time

I bet a lot of employees and others live over there, but for the most part it’s not where students live. Most are Campus, Red Roads, Vox, Standard, Thesis, the UVs. Places like that host a lot of the campus’ population. I know a few that have houses out on miller but that not a whole lot of them. Those that do live out that way are car dependent and drive to classes. **** around half of students by sunset place/ south miami bike, scooter, or drive to classes, if they aren’t walking from there to campus, they aren’t walking to Tropical

A lot of law students lived west of Red back in the day. VERY popular area, due to law school proximity. Not sure if it's still that way today.

Lmao at the streetcar idea. Also they can just set up a recurring loop from Miller circle straight on Miller road, assuming there will still be a southern entrance. Should take no longer than 15min at worst, that’s almost a 45min improvement over hard rock. While it still requires busses, that’s a massive decrease in travel time
Yes but apparently no one would use the streetcar service, or arrive in any fashion except for inside of a car, because today I learned that 100% of fans arrive at the stadium lugging a cooler, canopy, gas grill, speakers, television set, satellite dish, folding chairs and cooking utensils. So why bother?

I have talked about a dedicated lane on Blue, just because that road carries less traffic than Miller, but Miller would be nice too (some of that distance is commercial property, not just people's front yards).

Let me say this. I worked in Daytona at ISC/NASCAR for years. Was good friends with numerous operational folks at Daytona International. We could move 150,000 spectators, when the only expressway was I-95 and every other road was a surface road. The keys are (a) having a pre-set plan for traffic flow AND STICKING TO IT, and (b) hiring plenty of cops to assist. If you do that, you would be shocked how many people you can move.

To be honest, and I experienced this for years on US1, drivers in Miami tend to be stubborn. They think "this is the way I always drive, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go another direction to avoid event traffic.

But that's pretty much what you'll need to do. Essentially shut down Bird and Miller at peak times. Make the lights east and west of Tropical so onerous, that people will actually drive north to Coral Way or south to Sunset to get around the game traffic.

Advertisement
A lot of law students lived west of Red back in the day. VERY popular area, due to law school proximity. Not sure if it's still that way today.
I know some of the frost ppl live back there and I guess some of the law might be there. I really don’t know where the graduate students live, I only personally know where the undergrads are. And most don’t like near tropical park

Edit: and for football attendance, it’s really the undergrads that show up

Advertisement
So we are back to building a 60K seat stadium to accommodate 5K undergrad students who may or may not attend a home game 6 times a year???

... not to mention, these so-called students can't be bothered to sell out an air conditioned indoor basketball arena fielding a top 25 team for a couple of hours on game day.

Someone convince me why they are even part of the discussion..

Last edited:
There are tons of students who live between campus and Tropical Park who would be glad to walk to/from home games at Life Wallet Stadium rahter than dirve/uber and get stuck in gridlock, but don't let that stop you from the repeated personal attacks.

Reported.
Stop with the students already. Less than half go to the games. Our Stadium is made up of Locals not Students.

Advertisement
Back