Stadium Progress

Surprising that they would already be painting the endzones before the canopy is finished.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Prescription Athletic Turf (Tifway 419 Bermuda Grass) will be the surface.

How quickly can that be ready? Like how long after they lay it down can a game be played without massive chunks coming up?

I actually just read the other day that with the new technologies and how the sod is grown fields can be safely played on almost immediately. I also don't think you have the issues with "chunks" coming up as it's put down in huge rolls and it's more of a seem issue,

Afternoon pic IMG_20160727_140844.jpg

I hate that dump.

But, the fact that the canopy, when complete, will keep the visitor's sideline in the sun and ours in the shade is pretty god**** sweet.

Advertisement
Prescription Athletic Turf (Tifway 419 Bermuda Grass) will be the surface.

How quickly can that be ready? Like how long after they lay it down can a game be played without massive chunks coming up?

I actually just read the other day that with the new technologies and how the sod is grown fields can be safely played on almost immediately. I also don't think you have the issues with "chunks" coming up as it's put down in huge rolls and it's more of a seem issue,

Thanks very much for the response. If that's the case my concern level is almost nil.

Not sure if any of you follow the 49ers or not, I'm a 49ers fan. I remember last year with the new sod they put down at Levi stadium they had a continuous issue with it coming up and being a terrible playing condition.

That being said, when they finally ended up fixing the issue, it was when the players were doing a walk through on a Friday morning. They went in right after that, tore up the entire field and layed new surface and it was fine on Sunday.

The one thing the Dolphins organization has done right over the years is keep the turf up to par. Even when the Marlins had the baseball field there, the grass was never in poor shape. Drainage is top notch too.

Did I read there is a future plan that would (possibly) include a sliding, clear "cover" for the atrium (the center opening in the roof)?

The new design changes/upgrades essentially make this a new facility...

Advertisement
Not sure if any of you follow the 49ers or not, I'm a 49ers fan. I remember last year with the new sod they put down at Levi stadium they had a continuous issue with it coming up and being a terrible playing condition.

That being said, when they finally ended up fixing the issue, it was when the players were doing a walk through on a Friday morning. They went in right after that, tore up the entire field and layed new surface and it was fine on Sunday.

I'm a 49ers fan and stuff like this is exactly what I had in mind when I asked the previous questions.

I just drove past the stadium after leaving the Marlins game and it's clear to me that they're doing everything possible to get the stadium ready ASAP. All of the cranes were working and it looked like lots of guys were working the afternoon shift. Not very concerned about the stadium being ready for 9/3 at this point.

Did I read there is a future plan that would (possibly) include a sliding, clear "cover" for the atrium (the center opening in the roof)?

The new design changes/upgrades essentially make this a new facility...

I've never heard or read anything like that and I would have to imagine that Steve Ross will take a break after spending almost $400M of his own money. I wouldn't expect any major upgrades/changes after this project is done....at least in the near future.

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;2569669 said:
I'm supposed to be gettin one of those tours they are letting dolphin club members take on Friday. Dont know what all they will be showing off but I'll bump this with whatever I see and hear at the end of the week.

Walk slowly.

I just drove past the stadium after leaving the Marlins game and it's clear to me that they're doing everything possible to get the stadium ready ASAP. All of the cranes were working and it looked like lots of guys were working the afternoon shift. Not very concerned about the stadium being ready for 9/3 at this point.

But how slowly did you drive?

Don't live in Florida so haven't seen the stadium myself. Anybody have any recent pictures of the stadium?

I'm a 49ers fan and stuff like this is exactly what I had in mind when I asked the previous questions.

Not exactly sure what they finally found as the issue for why it kept tearing up, but they finally figured it out about the 3rd time they tore it up and did it again. Something about they tried to use a type of grass that wasn't fit for the climate in Santa Clara. It was a new stadium and they couldn't get the land they built on to match up what they were using.

Shouldn't be an issue to grow grass in south florida. Especially since it's not a new piece of land that they are experimenting with like the 49ers. As soon as they get the cranes completely out they will probably start the sod, it should have something close to a month to set in. No worries there for me.

Advertisement
Back