Stacy Coley note

I said it after the Duke BBall game, I don't think it affected anyone (Collins included) as much as Coley. He was excited to stand up and acknowledge the fans chanting his name. It didn't really hit me till the next day, but I know his experience there cemented his decision; getting Coach Coley in was just icing. I think he plays from the 1st game and after 2-3 games he's our #1 receiver.

How does a Chad Johnson comparison work? There's something to his game that has reminded me of him.

That's the best comparison there is for him. The quickness in and out of the breaks is what made Chad unstoppable and thats exactly what makes Coley such a beast. Can't say for sure, but he is probably faster than Chad if we're talking straight line 40 speed.

Everything else is fairly similar. Both have tremendous ball skills and the same frame. Chad's technique is obviously ahead of Coley's due to years of training and coaching. Hopefully Coley has a similar work ethic and sharpens his footwork and route running to that point.

As of right now though, he gives us the ability to blow the top off the coverage. Even though Dorsett could get deep, he isn't going to win one on one battles deep down field. Coley on the other hand, can win the jump ball battle against most college safeties and corners.

Great Pro comparison for a college comparison out of high school he reminds me of Rashad Green similar builds and Greene is already all acc as a soph so lets hope coley can be that for us soon. I don't think he will start day 1 but he will defintely get plenty of reps. Starters should be Hurns,Scott, Dorsett in the slot. Coley backing up Hurns and Malcolm Lewis backing up Dorsett in the slot..

its been a while but wasnt Lewis our #3 WR when he got hurt? or was that only after Hurns got hurt?

He was splitting time with scott at flanker but Scott emerged when Malcolm went down. Malcolm is better in the slot anyways and Scott is an outside guy. Lewis will be 3rd or 4th wr depending what sets coach coley will run. But Malcolm will be lethal in the slots in a 4wr set with Dorset in the other slot...

Advertisement
I don't know why everyone wants a ground and pound pro style offense. This team and personnel is built for the no huddle spread and our OL are better pass blockers then run blockers. I hope coley recognizes this and basically builds on what Fisch started. I know golden wanted it last year because of the defense being a liability but I hope they continue this this season.

I don't know why everyone wants a ground and pound pro style offense. This team and personnel is built for the no huddle spread and our OL are better pass blockers then run blockers. I hope coley recognizes this and basically builds on what Fisch started. I know golden wanted it last year because of the defense being a liability but I hope they continue this this season.

The perfect college offense in my opinion was the 2005 'SC offense. They ran for 3 thou and passed for almost 4 thou.

The perfect college offense in my opinion was the 2005 'SC offense. They ran for 3 thou and passed for almost 4 thou.

That offense was nasty. 8.7 Per Carry for Bush IIRC. Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett

Advertisement
I really like our WR corp as it stands, the addition of Coley could take it to another level IMO.

Dorsett, Lewis, Scott, Hurns, Waters & throw in some 6'2" or more unknowns Carter & Jones and our WR core is already stacked..........

Coley this year and adding Lane next is going to be insane.......

I remember the Shannon days where a punter had to take reps at WR....very refreshing...

I said it after the Duke BBall game, I don't think it affected anyone (Collins included) as much as Coley. He was excited to stand up and acknowledge the fans chanting his name. It didn't really hit me till the next day, but I know his experience there cemented his decision; getting Coach Coley in was just icing. I think he plays from the 1st game and after 2-3 games he's our #1 receiver.

How does a Chad Johnson comparison work? There's something to his game that has reminded me of him.

The Chad Assh0lestinko comparison is perfect. But I gotta LULZ at the thought of Coley being our #1 receiver after 2-3 games.

I'm not very high on ANY of our current receivers. They can all do a few things very well, but none of them have Coley's all around game. If he has the right work ethic, which is the most important factor in most recruits, I don't think that's at all crazy to say. We see Freshman receivers making an impact at the College level pretty regularly now, I don't see why Coley can't have that impact. Not to say he's on par with him, but look how quickly Cooper took over as Bama's go to guy.

That's the best comparison there is for him. The quickness in and out of the breaks is what made Chad unstoppable and thats exactly what makes Coley such a beast. Can't say for sure, but he is probably faster than Chad if we're talking straight line 40 speed.

Everything else is fairly similar. Both have tremendous ball skills and the same frame. Chad's technique is obviously ahead of Coley's due to years of training and coaching. Hopefully Coley has a similar work ethic and sharpens his footwork and route running to that point.

As of right now though, he gives us the ability to blow the top off the coverage. Even though Dorsett could get deep, he isn't going to win one on one battles deep down field. Coley on the other hand, can win the jump ball battle against most college safeties and corners.

Great Pro comparison for a college comparison out of high school he reminds me of Rashad Green similar builds and Greene is already all acc as a soph so lets hope coley can be that for us soon. I don't think he will start day 1 but he will defintely get plenty of reps. Starters should be Hurns,Scott, Dorsett in the slot. Coley backing up Hurns and Malcolm Lewis backing up Dorsett in the slot..

its been a while but wasnt Lewis our #3 WR when he got hurt? or was that only after Hurns got hurt?

He was splitting time with scott at flanker but Scott emerged when Malcolm went down. Malcolm is better in the slot anyways and Scott is an outside guy. Lewis will be 3rd or 4th wr depending what sets coach coley will run. But Malcolm will be lethal in the slots in a 4wr set with Dorset in the other slot...

gotcha, yea i think he will be leathal in the slot as well, i still remember him catching that bubble screen, making some dude fall and racing into the endzone, cant remember who it was against

Advertisement
I really like our WR corp as it stands, the addition of Coley could take it to another level IMO.

Dorsett, Lewis, Scott, Hurns, Waters & throw in some 6'2" or more unknowns Carter & Jones and our WR core is already stacked..........

I remember the Shannon days where a punter had to take reps at WR....very refreshing...

Clearly don't remember it too well. That was during the Coker days.

That wasn't on Shannon blame Coker for that mess up. Shannon walked into that mess in 2007..

Advertisement
I don't know why everyone wants a ground and pound pro style offense.

Because it's won 3 out of the last 4 National Titles

No Bama out recruiting everyone the last 5 years and the greatest cfb coach in this era won them the title.... You play to your personnel and their strengths. Auburn gets Cam at QB what do they do run the spread option offense.. If they ground and pound with those players and recruits do they win the title in 2010 absolutely not.....

I don't know why everyone wants a ground and pound pro style offense.

Because it's won 3 out of the last 4 National Titles

No Bama out recruiting everyone the last 5 years and the greatest cfb coach in this era won them the title.... You play to your personnel and their strengths. Auburn gets Cam at QB what do they do run the spread option offense.. If they ground and pound with those players and recruits do they win the title in 2010 absolutely not.....

Well put, jandyman. Play to your personnel.

Great breakdown of his game. And I agree that Chad Johnson is the best comparison. Coley is very good in every facet as a WR, but like you stated, what makes him elite is his explosion out of his breaks (and cuts). And that is one of the most important things for a WR. Basically the sole reason Thearon Collier was (for a short time) a very solid college WR was because he had special explosion out of his cuts. Besides that, he was undersized and not that fast, but that one trait allowed him to do some things. Coley has that same trait, but with length and sub 4.5 speed.

Advertisement

The Chad Assh0lestinko comparison is perfect. But I gotta LULZ at the thought of Coley being our #1 receiver after 2-3 games.

I'm not very high on ANY of our current receivers. They can all do a few things very well, but none of them have Coley's all around game. If he has the right work ethic, which is the most important factor in most recruits, I don't think that's at all crazy to say. We see Freshman receivers making an impact at the College level pretty regularly now, I don't see why Coley can't have that impact. Not to say he's on par with him, but look how quickly Cooper took over as Bama's go to guy.

while i don't completely disagree, our guys were thrown into the fire a little early. had we had real depth at wr, malcolm, waters, scott, etc... may not have even seen the field yet. they should improve pretty dramatically in the next couple of years both mentally and physically.

Advertisement
Back