Stacey Coley on with Joe Rose

Amari Cooper is the best young WR in college football. And Coley is considered a better prospect than Cooper coming out of high school. Al landed him a potentially elite WR. And, quite obviously, he's got some swag, which I like in my WRs.

Cooper was considered the best player in Florida by a good amount of people. I wasn't one of them, but those who had him as the #1 prospect in Florida were likely right. I'm not sure Coley is considered a better prospect.
Sorry, but duke johnson was the best player and prospect in florida last year, and no one who said otherwise was right. Duke also had the better freshman year, and i will wager anyone he has a better sophmore year (barring injury). People can praise amari all they want but this isnt debatable.

Amen. Duke all the way.

Advertisement
I dont recall that at all. He was arguably the top WR recruit in SFL and maybe the state but not the best player in football.

Cooper was considered the best player in Florida by a good amount of people. I wasn't one of them, but those who had him as the #1 prospect in Florida were likely right. I'm not sure Coley is considered a better prospect.

Bakas had Amari Cooper as the #1 talent in the state.

And he was wrong as usual. Also lazy. Doubt he even saw cooper play live.

LOL. He always liked Cooper, but I think his "list" came out shortly after that all star game that Cooper shined in. I remember getting a chuckle out of that one. And I've seen Lu on a couple of different occasions reference multiple people thinking that Cooper was the best in the state, but Bakas is the only person I remember saying that.

It's just not a credible argument, at all, and it's the type of lazy argument you get out of a guy who checked out in 2006. Duke Johnson was so clearly the best player in Florida a year ago, there's really nothing to debate. He was the best player summer before his senior year, on that So Fla Express team that went up against folks nationally. He was the best player for the best team all season. And his playoff performances were extraordinary. He was quite simply the best HS player in a loooong time in So Fla. On performance, not just potential. And he came to UM and was as good a freshman as there was in the country not named Manziel.

I get that Amari was good and had potential, but saying he was better in HS than Duke is flat out wrong, and saying he had better _college_ potential than Duke is flat out wrong. And if anyone around here is using their lists to predict pro rather than college potential, they best say so up front so it doesn't become some kind of excuse when they're called out. Moreover, it's a pretty dumb thing to be claiming if that's the argument, anyhow.

I dont recall that at all. He was arguably the top WR recruit in SFL and maybe the state but not the best player in football.

LOL. He always liked Cooper, but I think his "list" came out shortly after that all star game that Cooper shined in. I remember getting a chuckle out of that one. And I've seen Lu on a couple of different occasions reference multiple people thinking that Cooper was the best in the state, but Bakas is the only person I remember saying that.

It's just not a credible argument, at all, and it's the type of lazy argument you get out of a guy who checked out in 2006. Duke Johnson was so clearly the best player in Florida a year ago, there's really nothing to debate. He was the best player summer before his senior year, on that So Fla Express team that went up against folks nationally. He was the best player for the best team all season. And his playoff performances were extraordinary. He was quite simply the best HS player in a loooong time in So Fla. On performance, not just potential. And he came to UM and was as good a freshman as there was in the country not named Manziel.

I get that Amari was good and had potential, but saying he was better in HS than Duke is flat out wrong, and saying he had better _college_ potential than Duke is flat out wrong. And if anyone around here is using their lists to predict pro rather than college potential, they best say so up front so it doesn't become some kind of excuse when they're called out. Moreover, it's a pretty dumb thing to be claiming if that's the argument, anyhow.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I'm just saying that there's no doubt in my mind that bakas elevated Cooper to number one because of that one game. He'd do crazy stuff like that. For example, if a kid wanted to bump his rating up with Bakas, all he'd have to do is tell Bakas that he wasn't afraid of comp and that he'd battle anyone anywhere. Bakas would get pumped, and then the next thing you know he'd have the kid rated much higher than he had in the past. LOL

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I'm just saying that there's no doubt in my mind that bakas elevated Cooper to number one because of that one game. He'd do crazy stuff like that. For example, if a kid wanted to bump his rating up with Bakas, all he'd have to do is tell Bakas that he wasn't afraid of comp and that he'd battle anyone anywhere. Bakas would get pumped, and then the next thing you know he'd have the kid rated much higher than he had in the past. LOL

Oh, I know -- I'm not disagreeing with you. Except it wasn't just that game -- I mean, think about Duke's games. It was Alabama. Bakas got to the point where he figured any kid who goes to the U will stink or not get developed, so Amari gets bumped for going to Abalama. If he'd signed with the U, he'd have ranked the kid around 10--15.

And in any case, there is no one anywhere who can defend ranking Amari over Duke coming out of HS.

Advertisement

Oh, I know -- I'm not disagreeing with you. Except it wasn't just that game -- I mean, think about Duke's games. It was Alabama. Bakas got to the point where he figured any kid who goes to the U will stink or not get developed, so Amari gets bumped for going to Abalama. If he'd signed with the U, he'd have ranked the kid around 10--15.

And in any case, there is no one anywhere who can defend ranking Amari over Duke coming out of HS.

Cool thanks 4 ur analysis!

Advertisement
Back