STA?

ibs794

Sophomore
In your opinion, does STA recruit players or do all these players from out of county and out of state contact STA first and want to go there because of what they can offer? Figured there are some people on here that know more about STA than the casual observer.

Advertisement
bit of both, they consistently produce D1 talent, arguably the best school in Florida to go to. you're guaranteed to receive top notch coaching, improve your skills and get exposure.

I saw the same thing out here in the bay area with the rise of De La Salle. What I saw was a ton of recruiting early on (early 90's), but after a few years the program sold itself. Kids would show up at the De La Salle summer camps and their parents would "chit chat" with the coaches about how they are kicking around a move from Sacramento to the east bay for other reasons, etc...

Advertisement
In your opinion, does STA recruit players or do all these players from out of county and out of state contact STA first and want to go there because of what they can offer? Figured there are some people on here that know more about STA than the casual observer.

They recruit, but they get lot of upper echelon high school players to their school (w/o recruiting) due to their prestige.

I should rephrase my comment, they have great coaches and do attract top talent, but there is a number of kids they do recruit

Little bit of both. They don't recruit like they used to. The program basically speaks for itself now. There's plenty other schools, some public, that recruit much harder than STA does.

I should rephrase my comment, they have great coaches and do attract top talent, but there is a number of kids they do recruit

Agreed, but the main reason for their success is their coaching, OL, and DL play which are mainly kids who go their for their reputation and great coaching. Like you said a few kids here and there are recruited mainly skill position guys. Some kids are legacy kids with no need to recruit, like the Sands', Linder's, Shula's, etc.

Advertisement

Agreed, but the main reason for their success is their coaching, OL, and DL play which are mainly kids who go their for their reputation and great coaching. Like you said a few kids here and there are recruited mainly skill position guys. Some kids are legacy kids with no need to recruit, like the Sands', Linder's, Shula's, etc.

Exactly

Perhaps the discussion would be more productive if people would define what they mean by "recruit."

What specifically are STA coaches doing to "recruit" players from outside their area?

I used the example of De La Salle out here in the bay area. They got to a point where they didnt recruit per se' but they would advertise their camps all over northern California. Kids would come to DLS summer camps and the coaches would talk to the parents of certain players who didnt live in the area and have "general discussions" with them, etc...

Not saying their coaching is poor but let's be real, **** near anybody can coach the kids they have on OL and DL. They run a 3-4 and all 3 of their D-linemen are D-1 kids, as is the case every year. The O-line has the same thing going on. Majority, if not all of the starting 5, are D-1 kids.

STA is the high school version of our 2001 team. They got D-1 kids backing up D-1 kids. The years when they DIDN'T have this type of talent, they were an average team.

Advertisement
Lots of private schools recruit in all sports. Columbus offered multiple guys on my wrestling team tuition waivers or w/e they call it.

What are you gonna do about it? If you think the NCAA is in over their head, imagine FHSAA. Football in SO Fla is SOOOOO Crookked, its huge money down there man theres no way to police it.

Not saying their coaching is poor but let's be real, **** near anybody can coach the kids they have on OL and DL. They run a 3-4 and all 3 of their D-linemen are D-1 kids, as is the case every year. The O-line has the same thing going on. Majority, if not all of the starting 5, are D-1 kids.

STA is the high school version of our 2001 team. They got D-1 kids backing up D-1 kids. The years when they DIDN'T have this type of talent, they were an average team.

They have tremendous talent, but they have the best coaching in the area as well, which, in turn, helps them assemble great talent.

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1606678 said:
Lots of private schools recruit in all sports. Columbus offered multiple guys on my wrestling team tuition waivers or w/e they call it.

#AlmaMatter

STA has a very good OL coach. Yes, it's not as difficult to coach with that talent but they are sound up front.

Lamarcus Joyner goes for Southwest High (Miami) off of Bird Road and 87th all the way to STA lulz.

A buddy of mine who played ball w/ me at Columbus and wrestled transferred to STA the day before school started b/c the wrestling coaches at Michigan State told him that he should go wrestle there.

Advertisement
Back