STA-Heritage observations

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
For those of you new to CanesInSight, I try to go to at least one high school game a week. These posts are not necessarily game recaps, but rather my personal observations of prospects.

Aquinas is simply a machine this season. I would be shocked if they lose a game this year and quite frankly don't expect any of their games to be within 10 points. STA won 38-7 and Heritage could never get into a flow offensively.

**2015 RB Jordan Scarlett has improved drastically over the past couple of years. He has always been an off-the-charts athlete and been extremely productive, but most people who had seen him play would say there seemed to be something missing for him to be considered a truly dominant back. Tonight he showed more patience than I have seen in the past from him and set his blocks up very well. Scarlett's quickness in-and-out of the hole was on display when he busted a 62-yard touchdown. He also had a couple short yardage scores where he showed off his power. I was intrigued at the amount of times he was split out wide as a receiver. Complete back.

**2016 WR Sam Bruce is in the same vein of guys like Duke Johnson, Dalvin Cook, and Stacy Coley at the high school level in the sense that you feel like he will score every time he touches the ball. The most impressive play of the day from him was a 30-yard reception up the seam, when he took a big hit from the Heritage safety, held onto the ball, and got right up without hesitation. Tremendous concentration and toughness by him. He is worth the price of admission.

***2015 WR Devante Peete was relatively quiet tonight. He had a tough matchup with Tarvarus McFadden because it is not very often that he faces a corner with that size and ability to run with him step-for-step.

**Tito Benach has been hyping up 2016 DE prospect Brian Burns (Heritage) for a few months now and that is with good reason. Burns' length sticks out in a big way and his frame is freakish. He showed some flashes of explosiveness off the edge tonight. Put some weight on him and you have a top-level rush end prospect.

**The first thing that you notice about 2016 WR Dredrick Snelson is his size. He is very well put together and is still growing. He got the ball in the screen game and is tough to bring down after the catch. His ceiling is very high as he continues to pick up the nuances of the receiver position.

**2015 STA RB/WR Deltron Sands is a nice get for Maryland. He has great feet and is versatile. I look forward to watching him this season because he will have opportunities to make plays.

**Now for what everybody wants to know....Torrance Gibson and the Heritage offense struggled today. Aquinas was getting constant pressure and forcing him out of the pocket, but he never got into a rhythm. Even short passes and screen plays were tough completions. Gibson is such a smooth athlete though, maybe the best on the field. So much potential.

Advertisement
Agree with everything on that Sam Bruce kid is a linebacker in a slot wr body... The one play that made me want him wasn't even a catch run or block... On a running play as it was bout to be over he ran full speed at a dude like he was gonna crack back him or run him over dude turned around at the last second and acted like he just saw Jason. Voorhess... Bruce stopped right in front of him and slowly walks away... It was hillarious... Bruce is also a tenacious blocker... No fear. We gotta keep this dude

And oh yes Scarlett is hands down a different iback from last year film... When it looks like he's running slow he's eating up yards and he is much more powerful then last year.. He also broke a lot of tackles.. Much more then he did in any game last year from the clips I saw

Ill throw my thoughts in here also.

Have seen Scarlett since I think he was a freshman, he was basically U schools workhorse and he was always a great player, being young and being compared to guys older than him (Collins, cook, yearby) always tried to keep in mind that time was on his side and he would develop. On that long TD run he had he showed alot to be excited about, getting skinny in the hole, setting up block, making defender miss in open field and then separating from pack to take it the distance. Kid is the truth and will get his due this year. Looks natural catching whatever passes come his way also.

Was disappointed in AH as they have talent but couldnt seem to do anything on offense, they seem to try to run a Malzahn type offense but didnt want to run Gibson much, they kept feeding #11 (maybe OC forgot Sony graduated). Gibson passing leaves much to be desired so you need to put players in position to make plays, Snelson barely got touches early on, and if you are going to run a certain offense why dont they run pace offense and add the confusion to it also. You have 2 high quality D1 playmakers, if you cant put points on the board and move the ball I dont know what to tell you. Use your studs, no disrespect but #11 aint it.

Maybe you guys know but #10 on defense for AH, kid looks like a player, not sure of size and all that good stuff but he was everywhere and he stood out, if he is young might be a guy to keep an eye on.

Burns is another guy who looks good, quick off the edge and has the height coaches look for, needs to add weight but has quick first step

McFadden looked good being matched up with Peete one on one but doesnt seem interested in tackling at all, some of his attempts are just embarrassing to put on film, but he does look like a good athlete or maybe the matchup was favorable for him.

Liked the little i saw from bruce, there have been some knocks on him in past but at the least kid is worth it for return purposes, gets north and south quick.

will add more if I can think of anything else

Advertisement
Skyman -

#10 on Heritage is a stud.

Hurrickaneof83 texted D$ and I earlier that the kid would have a big game. Sophomore LB!!

Sam Bruce is a beast, starter from day one. I wish they played him outside a lil more, hes much more then a slot wr.

Advertisement
Skyman -

Hurrickaneof83 texted D$ and I earlier that the kid would have a big game. Sophomore LB!!

Sophmore?! Then yea that kid definitely has a future. Kid was making plays and getting some nice shots on Scarlett also. Made a tackle while losing his helmet, kid was a standout.

Ill throw my thoughts in here also.

Have seen Scarlett since I think he was a freshman, he was basically U schools workhorse and he was always a great player, being young and being compared to guys older than him (Collins, cook, yearby) always tried to keep in mind that time was on his side and he would develop. On that long TD run he had he showed alot to be excited about, getting skinny in the hole, setting up block, making defender miss in open field and then separating from pack to take it the distance. Kid is the truth and will get his due this year. Looks natural catching whatever passes come his way also.

Was disappointed in AH as they have talent but couldnt seem to do anything on offense, they seem to try to run a Malzahn type offense but didnt want to run Gibson much, they kept feeding #11 (maybe OC forgot Sony graduated). Gibson passing leaves much to be desired so you need to put players in position to make plays, Snelson barely got touches early on, and if you are going to run a certain offense why dont they run pace offense and add the confusion to it also. You have 2 high quality D1 playmakers, if you cant put points on the board and move the ball I dont know what to tell you. Use your studs, no disrespect but #11 aint it.

Maybe you guys know but #10 on defense for AH, kid looks like a player, not sure of size and all that good stuff but he was everywhere and he stood out, if he is young might be a guy to keep an eye on.

Burns is another guy who looks good, quick off the edge and has the height coaches look for, needs to add weight but has quick first step

McFadden looked good being matched up with Peete one on one but doesnt seem interested in tackling at all, some of his attempts are just embarrassing to put on film, but he does look like a good athlete or maybe the matchup was favorable for him.

Liked the little i saw from bruce, there have been some knocks on him in past but at the least kid is worth it for return purposes, gets north and south quick.

will add more if I can think of anything else

Agree with everything u said.. It seems like AH were trying to let TG show the world he can be a QB.... I guess they owe it to him... But the game plan sucked they needed to use TG like a running back more... But TG was off tonight ....

Skyman -

Bradley Clements transfer from u school, 2016 kid. STUD. Possibly perryman 2.0

He's on my 2016 list which I haven't been able to finish since starting UM but will be coming soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Heritage OC does not help his players at all last year they were just so loaded it didn't matter. You see against other teams it won't matter because they're still so talented but against the best team in the country you need creativity and efficiency from your play callers.

The drop passes didn't help Gibson at all

Advertisement
Hands down, St. Thomas' two best players were playing for U School last year.

Sam Bruce = Tavon Austin with slightly less straight line speed but much more physical toughness

Scarlett = Thunder and Lightng in one back. Complete package.

Burns fits the bill physically but needs to get coached up and grow as a football player over the next year and a half. Made some plays tonight but was out of position several times; most notably got sucked inside and lost contain when the St. Thomas QB scored on a naked boot.

McFadden does not wrap up at all. How can you.be that big and still dive at legs still. Scarlett bounced off him with ease.

Advertisement
Skyman -

Bradley Clements transfer from u school, 2016 kid. STUD. Possibly perryman 2.0

He's on my 2016 list which I haven't been able to finish since starting UM but will be coming soon

The kid sounds like he might be another 6' stud lb like Bush and Talan.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but we all know that's not the size that Al really wants for his system but that's what we have down here.
Hopefully he coming around to that reality because of Perryman and the recruiting of Pinckney and Quarterman.

AH is not a fundamentally sound team at all. From their QB spot, to their tackling, to there special teams. Their punter takes for steps to punt the ball 20 yards.

They will beat teams they are suppose to beat just off talent alone, but will have trouble with teams that are well coached.

Think if AH calls for some designed Gibson runs early, it may have helped open some passing lanes later.

But from what I saw, Aquinas had no concern or respect for Gibson as a passer.

Sam Bruce is just fun to watch. Play of the night from Bruce, for me, was his block on Scarlett's big screen pass.

Scarlett just looks better every game he plays. Recruiting services are blind, bias or dumb.

Advertisement
Back