St. Francis post game Plus/Minus

I am a little upset with the team we're putting out there. It was definitely a mis-judgement by this staff's evaluation of Kelly and we also missed out in filling the 2012 class, he could be a sophomore right now and could really help out a young team. I'm very happy with Coach L but just don't feel that we should just give him the break that he lost a lot this past year. He chose to leave a scholarship open this year and also bring in 2 transfers this year that have to sit out a year instead of of going after a few ore recruits that could help us right away.

Josh, those are just all excuses for this staff putting a well below average ACC team onto the court. We all knew that Angel Rodriguez had a very tough time to get his waiver for this year. Coach L has done a very good/great job here so far and this next incoming recruiting class along with the transfers playing next year should be a huge boost and give us a shot at moving to the upper half of the ACC next year.

Advertisement
Josh, those are just all excuses for this staff putting a well below average ACC team onto the court. We all knew that Angel Rodriguez had a very tough time to get his waiver for this year. Coach L has done a very good/great job here so far and this next incoming recruiting class along with the transfers playing next year should be a huge boost and give us a shot at moving to the upper half of the ACC next year.

It's an explanation. I agree that it always seemed Rodriguez getting a waiver was a long shot. But I'm just pointing out that we did fill out the 2012 class - and had one player not make it due to academics. We had two guards that we would have anticipated being on the team this year leave after the early signing period (Daniels transfer and Larkin explosion), so we had to replace them. And so on.

I'm not saying that I'm happy with the way this roster looks. Kelly may well be a miss (I'm not willing to write him off after one game, but still). There are guys who maybe we should have gone after harder (someone on another board pointed out Amida Brimah on UConn) or guys we should have locked down (Demetrius Henry). Not disagreeing on any of that. But this is still a team that lost a tremendous amount of talent, and three of them (Johnson, Daniels, Larkin) were anticipated to be here until after the main recruiting periods (July and then November signing), and who had to try and replace it with with the NCAA spectre hanging over us. I'm not happy but I understand.

Yes, Kelly looked fat and out of shape. I was shocked that this was a JUCO that New Mexico and other schools wanted. I almost said, well, we will never shoot that poorly again, and we had 4-5 threes including the game winner go in and out, but then I realized, so what? Those go in and we barely beat St. Francis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but St. Francis is not some bracket buster. They're a rent a win. They're a mediocre small conference team.

I don't really understand why Adams was running the point at the end if regulation and then in OT with Manu playing the 2. Le Petite Belgique looked good penetrating the lane, but had a night finishing. Also no point in driving and kicking out when no one can hit a 3.

Lastly, and I'll say it again. If Swoope is going to play that much, we're going to be worse than the Anthony Rosa led team....yeah, I went there.

I agree on most you have said in this thread but St Francis is better than a mediocre small conference team. Their biggest weakness is their size otherwise they are a pretty good tough nosed team that can shoot. They would give some BCS conference opponents problems. But in no means is this a good loss.

I am a little upset with the team we're putting out there. It was definitely a mis-judgement by this staff's evaluation of Kelly and we also missed out in filling the 2012 class, he could be a sophomore right now and could really help out a young team. I'm very happy with Coach L but just don't feel that we should just give him the break that he lost a lot this past year. He chose to leave a scholarship open this year and also bring in 2 transfers this year that have to sit out a year instead of of going after a few ore recruits that could help us right away.

St. Francis was 12-18 last year, 8-10 in their crappy conference. Are they really that much improved this year? If so, then I'll apologize to them. But, we just lost to a team who was 12-18 last year...

Yes, Kelly looked fat and out of shape. I was shocked that this was a JUCO that New Mexico and other schools wanted. I almost said, well, we will never shoot that poorly again, and we had 4-5 threes including the game winner go in and out, but then I realized, so what? Those go in and we barely beat St. Francis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but St. Francis is not some bracket buster. They're a rent a win. They're a mediocre small conference team.

I don't really understand why Adams was running the point at the end if regulation and then in OT with Manu playing the 2. Le Petite Belgique looked good penetrating the lane, but had a night finishing. Also no point in driving and kicking out when no one can hit a 3.

Lastly, and I'll say it again. If Swoope is going to play that much, we're going to be worse than the Anthony Rosa led team....yeah, I went there.

I agree on most you have said in this thread but St Francis is better than a mediocre small conference team. Their biggest weakness is their size otherwise they are a pretty good tough nosed team that can shoot. They would give some BCS conference opponents problems. But in no means is this a good loss.

St. Francis was 12-18 last year, 8-10 in their crappy conference. Are they really that much improved this year? If so, then I'll apologize to them. But, we just lost to a team who was 12-18 last year...

Agreed either way it is an awful loss. I think they are probably much improved on the other hand, they had a bunch of solid hard nosed kids on that team and a few of their top players were freshmen and they only have a few seniors on the team. So last year they were probably pretty young. So I would say that they are much improved we'll see how they play against teams like Dayton and even Syracuse later on on their schedule.

Advertisement

It's an explanation. I agree that it always seemed Rodriguez getting a waiver was a long shot. But I'm just pointing out that we did fill out the 2012 class - and had one player not make it due to academics. We had two guards that we would have anticipated being on the team this year leave after the early signing period (Daniels transfer and Larkin explosion), so we had to replace them. And so on.

I'm not saying that I'm happy with the way this roster looks. Kelly may well be a miss (I'm not willing to write him off after one game, but still). There are guys who maybe we should have gone after harder (someone on another board pointed out Amida Brimah on UConn) or guys we should have locked down (Demetrius Henry). Not disagreeing on any of that. But this is still a team that lost a tremendous amount of talent, and three of them (Johnson, Daniels, Larkin) were anticipated to be here until after the main recruiting periods (July and then November signing), and who had to try and replace it with with the NCAA spectre hanging over us. I'm not happy but I understand.

I guess our difference in opinion is in our level of frustration. On another note I am excited to see Reed, Manu and Tonye's improvement and maturation over the year.

Advertisement
Back