St. Francis post game Plus/Minus

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
Plus

+ We got to see the banners:

27.jpg

/CanesDaddy

+ Donovan Kirk: Best player on the floor tonight.

+ Garrius Adams' shot to tie it: Highlight of the game.

Minus

- We lost to St. Francis: dammitmane.

- We aren't a very good team: I mean...we knew we were going to miss all the guys that left...but yikes.

- The foul call on Kirk with < a minute left: What were the refs looking at?

- The 2 moving violations on the baseline: Yes, that happened.

Advertisement
No. Nothing positive about Garrius. 4-19 from the field, 0-9 from 3 point land on the night. Can't play without the ball in his hands, never looks to pass. He's awful.

I suffered through the 0-18 Big East season, I'll make it through this one, but man of ******* man do we suck. This is what I said in the other thread:

That's embarrassing. Only fitting that we lose when a 3 goes in and out that would have given us the lead. Duke and UNC are going to run up the score and rub it in so bad on us this year. This team is going to be worse than any of Haith's last place 4-12 teams. We will be lucky to win 1 ACC game. I'm being serious, that's not a knee-jerk reaction.

Adams scored 14, but was 4-19 and 0-9 from downtown. We shot 0-16 from 3s. I thought Kelly, the JUCO was supposed to be good? He barely played and looked really bad. Swoope played most of the game. He still looks really bad too, and if we have to play him 20-25 minutes a night we're not winning 10 games. Jekiri looked marginally better. Kirk looked good. Brown is still the same player he was a freshman.

My only worry is that a 6-25 season really hurts us with national perception and future recruits. It's huge we have the transfers from K-State and Texas and some others guys already signed, because no one is going to be impressed with this year.

+ Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin spotted sitting together at game
- Everyone's worse fears about the season were realized tonight
- And then some

I agree on most of the sentiments already gone over. I was most discouraged with our bigs defense, Jekiri, Kirk, and Swoope continually got backed down and dare I say bullied by their undersized 6'6" bigs. When it comes to Kelly I'm already looking forward to him leaving. When it comes to Jekiri I'm really disappointed with his lack of improvement he's the same player he was last year. Manu wasn't great tonight and you can see that he was very tentative but you can see a ton of skills and a very competitive attitude that will make him a very good player during his UM career.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How much better Tonye Jekiri is this year could be worth 2 or 3 ACC wins....

I've always thought he has a lot of potential. Moves pretty will for a 7 footer, plays pretty decent defense, not much of an offensive game, but his athleticism gives him the ability to get a couple easy baskets every game.

Jekiri is noticeably bigger from last year.
He had 4 fouls out of no where to me it seemed and didn't play enough to really judge him.
He's so **** lanky that if he plays enough and stays out of foul trouble, unlike tonight, he will average double digit rebounds. He had 9 boards in 23 minutes.
Offensive game has always needed some work, I think with some time he'll develop a decent mid range game.
I still don't see much of an inside game from him. It seemed at times he didn't realize that he was the tallest player out there by 7 inches or so. This is actually a pretty big flaw in his game. Doesn't really ever go up strong on offense. More of a wait for a lob and throw it threw the hoop kind of offensive threat.

Yes, Kelly looked fat and out of shape. I was shocked that this was a JUCO that New Mexico and other schools wanted. I almost said, well, we will never shoot that poorly again, and we had 4-5 threes including the game winner go in and out, but then I realized, so what? Those go in and we barely beat St. Francis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but St. Francis is not some bracket buster. They're a rent a win. They're a mediocre small conference team.

I don't really understand why Adams was running the point at the end if regulation and then in OT with Manu playing the 2. Le Petite Belgique looked good penetrating the lane, but had a night finishing. Also no point in driving and kicking out when no one can hit a 3.

Lastly, and I'll say it again. If Swoope is going to play that much, we're going to be worse than the Anthony Rosa led team....yeah, I went there.

Their leading scorer in last night's game, #45, is a FRESHMAN...down on the block he was making Kirk, Swoope, and Jehkiri look like they had never played before. He was bullying them all night and getting easy buckets at the cup. Our opponents bigs are gonna have career nights against us if we don't learn how to play some basic post defense.

Advertisement
Well we lost to St Leo last year and we turned out ok. Glad the season is getting started, we'll be ok.

We lost to St Leo in an exhibition. And, define fine. If fine is winning 4 ACC games at most, yeah , we're golden.

you cant lose what we lost and win 10 games in the ACC this year...we are not Kentucky..we lost 95& of our scoring and defense...

Coach L will get toasted in here but he needs more time than golden to rebuild...

Tough to watch the ugly 3 pointing missing contest.

Coach L will respond. Team has players, but it will be a long season of ups and downs.

Advertisement
We lost to St Leo in an exhibition. And, define fine. If fine is winning 4 ACC games at most, yeah , we're golden.

Fine is whatever happens because nobody expects anything from this team. We had one enormous year and lost the entire team. You can't expect us to just hop up to the top of the ACC with the likes of UNC, Duke, Cuse, etc because of one year. Come on man. We're not Kentucky.

Whatever happens happens, we're in full rebuild mode. No major injuries and glimpses of progress, that's all I care about.

No, fine does not mean that. No one was expecting much from this team, but what I saw last night was worse than any of Haith's last place teams. The ACC is much better this year, so this will be very ugly. That's not us being "fine" by any definition of fine.

Advertisement
NS is right. We are going to be really really bad and we are playing in the best league in the country.

Yes, Kelly looked fat and out of shape. I was shocked that this was a JUCO that New Mexico and other schools wanted. I almost said, well, we will never shoot that poorly again, and we had 4-5 threes including the game winner go in and out, but then I realized, so what? Those go in and we barely beat St. Francis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but St. Francis is not some bracket buster. They're a rent a win. They're a mediocre small conference team.

I don't really understand why Adams was running the point at the end if regulation and then in OT with Manu playing the 2. Le Petite Belgique looked good penetrating the lane, but had a night finishing. Also no point in driving and kicking out when no one can hit a 3.

Lastly, and I'll say it again. If Swoope is going to play that much, we're going to be worse than the Anthony Rosa led team....yeah, I went there.

I agree on most you have said in this thread but St Francis is better than a mediocre small conference team. Their biggest weakness is their size otherwise they are a pretty good tough nosed team that can shoot. They would give some BCS conference opponents problems. But in no means is this a good loss.

I am a little upset with the team we're putting out there. It was definitely a mis-judgement by this staff's evaluation of Kelly and we also missed out in filling the 2012 class, he could be a sophomore right now and could really help out a young team. I'm very happy with Coach L but just don't feel that we should just give him the break that he lost a lot this past year. He chose to leave a scholarship open this year and also bring in 2 transfers this year that have to sit out a year instead of of going after a few ore recruits that could help us right away.

I am a little upset with the team we're putting out there. It was definitely a mis-judgement by this staff's evaluation of Kelly and we also missed out in filling the 2012 class, he could be a sophomore right now and could really help out a young team. I'm very happy with Coach L but just don't feel that we should just give him the break that he lost a lot this past year. He chose to leave a scholarship open this year and also bring in 2 transfers this year that have to sit out a year instead of of going after a few ore recruits that could help us right away.

I'm don't think it is fair to write off Kelly after one game. He looked lost out there, sure, but he got 4 rebounds in 5 minutes and allegedly is one of the best athletes on the team and he had offers or strong interest from several equivalent or better programs. I don't think this is a Fabio Nass situation where we desperately plucked a guy to fill out the roster.

Regarding the 2012 class, we had it filled out but lost Melvin Johnson to an academic casualty in the late summer. One of those two transfers was supposed to play this year, but turned out to be banged up so we had to redshirt him without applying for the waiver. In terms of the open scholarship, we definitely had some misses, but I'm not sure anyone would have been happy with the quality of the recruit that was available in May. It was a calculated risk and unfortunately one that does not look like it paid off at this point, as short as we are.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back