Spring Transfer Portal

Advertisement
Emory is already a better passer but Jaccuri has more upside. Jaccuri just needs to sit for another 2 years. We go portal QB for 2024, and 2025 will be Jaccuri Vs Emory for QB1.
Yeah right! Glad you not the coach, like he is gonna sit that long! He would have the advantage over any transfer not named Emory 2 or 3 years in Dawson's offense.

Most talk as if DT is one position. In fact, it has to be treated as two positions. This convo was discussed in a thread earlier this year where @Lance Roffers added the following:

Our problem is the whole roster at DT seems best suited for the 3T role with the hope that Moten can fill the 1T role. That may work for much of the schedule but against a team that wants to run (and is capable of running effectively), I have visions of UNC running for 600 yards.

If things remain the same going into the season, I'm curious what Guidry can do to disguise this weakness. For instance, how did he address Notre Dame last year?
Gore played the nose position at GSU, and while he won't own a size advantage over the opponent, he will have a leverage advantage.

Taylor is strong as well and can play the 1T role. Molten and Horton are both 300+ lbs. We're fine.

IIRC Robert’s was highly thought of at the time but looks like a miss. Davis just provides needed depth at that point. I’d rather rely on him as a 3rd/4th CB than the younger guys.
Roberts impact may be limited, but maybe he contributes or improves special team play.

Advertisement
Ideally the recruiting class and the portal class are complementary. WR - 2 slot types in the recruiting class (love Ray-Ray). Portal - JUCO (likely), TBD. For the 2nd consecutive cycle no 'take the top off' outside threat. Below standard.

DT - 1 as I recall in the recruiting class, 1 in the portal class + Gore (undersized, shaky). And the Jackson loss. ****, even Jordan Miller sounds good about now. Below standard.

Yes, we're not done yet and there has been some good work done. But WR and DT are clearly concerning. And in fairness, even highly touted recruiting classes lose luster when key positions like QB, DT, WR are conspicuous in terms of lacking headliner types.

In sum, I give Mario credit for upgrading overall talent after a nightmarish '22 season. However, there have also been misses. Now what if one of the COMPLETE OL OVERHAUL were substituted for a big-time DT? So as originally stated, complementary classes on signing day and in the portal create a more balanced and likely effective roster.
Good stuff

We’ve had a really positive off-season with the coaching changes, the recruiting class, and the portal to this point

We avoided disaster with guys like TVD or maybe some other key guys (of the few) that could have left

I’m not lowering my standards but after a 5-7 complete disaster of a season, it’s been an off-season we really needed imo

I think your outlook on how we’ve done overall is good. People can use the stats how they want I guess. It’s a very good haul. We have a couple of big areas of need to fill still. I’m not sure that the two viewpoints can’t live side by side for the most part.

I think we have a very tricky Catch-22 to navigate.

On one hand, Mario is setting a standard for bringing in Portal guys. If we are navigating in waters where there are not very many high-quality players available (DT) or they might be looking for a bag and/or starter guarantee (WR), then our pool of candidates may be very constrained.

On the other hand, if we take a guy "just to take a guy" and then he turns out not to be as good as hoped/expected, you will get the chorus of Mopes telling us how our evaluation of talent sucks, and how we are really bad at the Portal side of recruiting.

I am of mixed feelings. For instance, I did not initially think that Rambo was a fantastic transfer. Then he set the ALL-TIME single season receiving record at UM. So the "hopeful" side of me thinks that taking a "non-Addison" type can still pay dividends.

But then I think about guys we HAVE taken in the Portal who didn't set records (or even perform very well) and I'm not keen on filling up the roster with guys who can't contribute as much as we need.

Very tough balancing act.

Advertisement

On one hand, Mario is setting a standard for bringing in Portal guys. If we are navigating in waters where there are not very many high-quality players available (DT) or they might be looking for a bag and/or starter guarantee (WR), then our pool of candidates may be very constrained.

On the other hand, if we take a guy "just to take a guy" and then he turns out not to be as good as hoped/expected, you will get the chorus of Mopes telling us how our evaluation of talent sucks, and how we are really bad at the Portal side of recruiting.

I am of mixed feelings. For instance, I did not initially think that Rambo was a fantastic transfer. Then he set the ALL-TIME single season receiving record at UM. So the "hopeful" side of me thinks that taking a "non-Addison" type can still pay dividends.

But then I think about guys we HAVE taken in the Portal who didn't set records (or even perform very well) and I'm not keen on filling up the roster with guys who can't contribute as much as we need.

Plenty here understand the difference between an elite blue chip player like Jordan Addison and Xzavier Henderson, for instance. I think people who are calling other people mopes here who say it’s a pretty good Portal haul though we didn’t fill the outside WR and DT spots as we hoped or needed, are the ones with the problem. They Smokin Mad Hecht ****.

@TRick72

The glass half full side of me says “well, we haven’t recruited OL, DL, CB, WR well at all in god I don’t even know when (Richards, WR)?

Mario’s at least enticed OL and CB so far. 50% trending up? Maybe?

These issues criticizing Mario for have been long standing and he has made headway on some. That’s where I’m at.

The glass half full side of me says “well, we haven’t recruited OL, DL, CB, WR well at all in god I don’t even know when (Richards, WR)?

Mario’s at least enticed OL and CB so far. 50% trending up? Maybe?

These issues criticizing Mario for have been long standing and he has made headway on some. That’s where I’m at.
He’s done better at LB, OL, and to some degree at CB. DL is strong at edge plus Bain though DT still needs more. TE has continued to be solid. Slot WR is high level. I’m less certain about Safety. Outside WR and WB need big progress.

Advertisement
Plenty here understand the difference between an elite blue chip player like Jordan Addison and Xzavier Henderson, for instance. I think if people are calling other people mopes here who say it’s a pretty good Portal haul though we didn’t fill the outside WR and DT spots as we hoped or needed, are the ones with the problem. They Smokin Mad Hecht ****.

@TRick72

Yeah, and my "Mope" reference was not about "the current debate", it was more about the "after-the-fact critics" who pound on the negative when we already know the outcome was not as good as hoped for.

We are definitely going to have some Portal guys who don't set the world on fire. It happens.

I wish some (not all) people understood the difference between making a massive effort to address past issues (DT/WR) and, you know, actual outcome. Sometimes what we want and what we initially get are not the same, and it's not just a direct product of "effort" or the lack thereof.

We shall see. I'm open-minded, I know we have some gaps and I want to have the best team possible. I want a couple more guys to jump in Mario's boat, but at a certain point we also have to play the cards in our hand. It's not just this board, it's not just this topic, I have ALWAYS hit a point around August of every year where I think "**** it, let's roll, if you aren't with Miami, you are just going to have to lose to Miami."

That is all.

Advertisement
He’s done better at LB, OL, and to some degree at CB. DL is strong at edge plus Bain though DT still needs more. TE has continued to be solid. Slot WR is high level. I’m less certain about Safety. Outside WR and WB need big progress.

Agree DE has been good. He’s trending us up.

I’m going to hold off judging the portal haul versus the needs until the full transfer class is in. We nailed CB, RB, OL and made a big dent in LB and a small dent in DT. The Tulane via Marshall kid would make DBs an A grade. We still have work to do at WR, DT, LB and QB.

Clock is ticking but it’s not midnight and if he needs to pull some Mario specials like the ULM kid to plug holes then that’s what he needs to do. I wish we could find a Lee, Cohen or Kiko at every spot but that’s not realistic given the limited number of talented players in the portal and the programs competing for them.

Yeah right! Glad you not the coach, like he is gonna sit that long! He would have the advantage over any transfer not named Emory 2 or 3 years in Dawson's offense.
I doubt it, Dawson does not run a complicated offense and there will be tons of quality transfer QBs available for 2024.

Advertisement
Back