Spring Transfer Portal

Advertisement
We're a total mess in the p🤡rtal. I don't get it, considering it's such a glaringly obvious necessity.
Literally the biggest mystery to me. Does it come back to the whole failure to make decisions and roll with them in real time thing with Mario? Like the portal isn’t on his timeframe and he can’t or won’t adjust or something???

I think Mario needs to petition the NCAA for an IEP so he can work with an untimed version of the Portal.

Literally the biggest mystery to me. Does it come back to the whole failure to make decisions and roll with them in real time thing with Mario? Like the portal isn’t on his timeframe and he can’t or won’t adjust or something???

I think Mario needs to petition the NCAA for an IEP so he can work with an untimed version of the Portal.
Mario is obviously a relentless high school recruiter, and a solid salesman.

Leaving portal evals aside, the staff must know positions of need based solely on our roster. Is he a poor closer in the portal? That doesn't seem to make any sense.

I'm at a loss. We've addressed next to nothing in the portal.

Mario is obviously a relentless high school recruiter, and a solid salesman.

Leaving portal evals aside, the staff must know positions of need based solely on our roster. Is he a poor closer in the portal? That doesn't seem to make any sense.

I'm at a loss. We've addressed next to nothing in the portal.
He’s not a poor closer. I truly believe he doesn’t make decisions and roll with them with certain things where he needs to. He did this with staff hirings. Time is limited with portal players. It’s like he has to keep batting it back-n-forth in his skull until it speaks to him like some clairvoyant ****.

There simply isn't time for that in the portal. We have a need, address it by reaching out to best available at that position. You whiff, then move on. You get him, and he busts, it's going to happen sometimes. But for ****'s sake, our roster isn't good enough.

Advertisement
There simply isn't time for that in the portal. We have a need, address it by reaching out to best available at that position. You whiff, then move on. You get him, and he busts, it's going to happen sometimes. But for ****'s sake, our roster isn't good enough.
It drives me nuts man. This is something I’ve seen in the workplace at various points with decision makers who paralyze departments, groups and transactions with indecision. You can’t be afraid to make a decision and lose opportunity after opportunity.

It drives me nuts man. This is something I’ve seen in the workplace at various points with decision makers who paralyze departments, groups and transactions with indecision. You can’t be afraid to make a decision and lose opportunity after opportunity.
Miami’s official motto since 2003: “we’re the smartest guy in the room”

I think we probably should but I thought we aren’t going in on Fegans.

I don’t know what these guys are doing. They’re not that good with the portal.

Does any think that could be Fields spot eventually, or larger role ? Because this msu dude move funny. Or is it really a MC timing issue ?

That's why I didn't understand some fans that wanted TVD to move on thinking there would be options in the portal when in fact it's pretty dry out there and we would have been so screwed if he was gone
There are a bunch of better options out there but the best program of the last decade is going for our quarterback instead. Makes sense.

Advertisement
Lol at the #portalpatrols on here
You can call it what you want..but a team coming off a 5-7 season and lost like 20-25 guys off the roster..you would think we would be the most aggressive team in the portal by far. And we are coming across very passive. That is concerning. Mario is acting like this is a complete rebuild like Butch back in 1997! Smh.

Lincoln Riley laid the blueprint for every program last year. Hit the portal hard..and you can turn your program around in one year.

Looking at portal I see a few players that could help.

Bear Alexander-but reports are he acts like a **** who doesn't like going to class

Storm Duck-would be 2nd transfer in past 4 months

Wyoming OL-But would he start here? I am not sure. He is looking I'm sure for a starting spot

I know people want to say we need a WR, but a few things.

I think Young, X, and George are going to perform really well. I don't think their is a slot WR in portal that is better than X. I don't think their is a 6'5 WR in portal who would beat out Young. George has the talent, it's about maturing, focusing, and working hard at his craft. You could bring someone in to push him, but these portal cats are wanting a guaranteed starting spot IMO.

So yes a WR to bolster competition and depth is ideal, but what portal WR wants to provide competition and depth? That's the issue.

Coaches and fans want players for depth! Players don't like being depth they want to play.

QB-TVD
RB-Chaney/Parrish/Fletcher/CJ
TE-Arroyo/Skinner/Cam/Riley Williams
WR-Young
WR-Restrepo
WR-George
OL-Zion/Samson
OL-Cohen
OL-Lee
OL-Rivers/Cooper
OL-Mauigoa/Rivers

DE-Mesidor/Bain
DL-Taylor/Moten
DL-JHH/Deen
DE-Harvey/Kelly
LB-Mauigoa
LB-Bissanthe
NB-Couch/Harris
CB-Devante Brown
CB-Porter
S-J. Williams
S-Kam

What portal RB wants to be part of a 3-4 man rotation? That's what we need for depth

What WR wants to compete for a starters role with George, that's what we need

What big but athletic DT wants to jump in Tia rotation as that's what we need?

We need a high end starting CB

We need a 3rd safety

Advertisement
You can call it what you want..but a team coming off a 5-7 season and lost like 20-25 guys off the roster..you would think we would be the most aggressive team in the portal by far. And we are coming across very passive. That is concerning. Mario is acting like this is a complete rebuild like Butch back in 1997! Smh.

Lincoln Riley laid the blueprint for every program last year. Hit the portal hard..and you can turn your program around in one year.
Every team Mario has been on/HC’d has been built brick by brick..this one will not be different my boy. I know you’re top flight of the world patrol n all but it’s called building a team. Times are changing with NIL and transfer rules but one thing is constant, you build your roster with high school kids and coach em up.

The top teams finishing in the top 4/6 are all the same. &they are deliberate in the portal not DESPERATE like some of you come off. He wants something that’ll actually last, not 1/2 year wonders.

Looking at portal I see a few players that could help.

Bear Alexander-but reports are he acts like a **** who doesn't like going to class

Storm Duck-would be 2nd transfer in past 4 months

Wyoming OL-But would he start here? I am not sure. He is looking I'm sure for a starting spot

I know people want to say we need a WR, but a few things.

I think Young, X, and George are going to perform really well. I don't think their is a slot WR in portal that is better than X. I don't think their is a 6'5 WR in portal who would beat out Young. George has the talent, it's about maturing, focusing, and working hard at his craft. You could bring someone in to push him, but these portal cats are wanting a guaranteed starting spot IMO.

So yes a WR to bolster competition and depth is ideal, but what portal WR wants to provide competition and depth? That's the issue.

Coaches and fans want players for depth! Players don't like being depth they want to play.

QB-TVD
RB-Chaney/Parrish/Fletcher/CJ
TE-Arroyo/Skinner/Cam/Riley Williams
WR-Young
WR-Restrepo
WR-George
OL-Zion/Samson
OL-Cohen
OL-Lee
OL-Rivers/Cooper
OL-Mauigoa/Rivers

DE-Mesidor/Bain
DL-Taylor/Moten
DL-JHH/Deen
DE-Harvey/Kelly
LB-Mauigoa
LB-Bissanthe
NB-Couch/Harris
CB-Devante Brown
CB-Porter
S-J. Williams
S-Kam

What portal RB wants to be part of a 3-4 man rotation? That's what we need for depth

What WR wants to compete for a starters role with George, that's what we need

What big but athletic DT wants to jump in Tia rotation as that's what we need?

We need a high end starting CB

We need a 3rd safety
Zion is a backup now, passed by

How much did Riley’s backers spend? Let’s both Miami and USC wanted Addison last year….Mario could have the most convincing pitch plus a $1M NIL….that’s irrelevant if USC countered with $13M.

Similarly, if USC has a $70M NIL budget then yes, Lincoln Riley is going to dominate. In fact, your coach at that point is really irrelevant. Not saying that they are spending that amount, but clearly they are spending A LOT.

Advertisement
Every team Mario has been on/HC’d has been built brick by brick..this one will not be different my boy. I know you’re top flight of the world patrol n all but it’s called building a team. Times are changing with NIL and transfer rules but one thing is constant, you build your roster with high school kids and coach em up.

The top teams finishing in the top 4/6 are all the same. &they are deliberate in the portal not DESPERATE like some of you come off. He wants something that’ll actually last, not 1/2 year wonders.
Agreed, although it will be interesting to see if the Norvell model of using the transfer portal as your foundation and high school recruiting as the supplement can be sustainable for any period of time.

Lol at the #portalpatrols on here
season 13 episode 22 GIF

Unfortunately this is one of the downfalls of not hiring your staff in December after the season.

Lance Guidry was hired Feb 15th
Shannon Dawson hired Feb 14th
Kevin Beard hired March 7th
Tim Harris hired Feb 21st
Derek Nicholson hired Feb 14th

The winter portal ended January 18th and I'm sure all the rumors of us replacing several coaches effected us in the portal.

Yet he took 11 transfers last off season and has already taken 8 more this year with more to come. It's not that he doesn't take transfers or that he doesn't believe in taking transfers, it's that he takes way too many bad transfers.

Of the 11 guys he took last year, Mesidor was the only big impact guy with Parrish being a solid contributor. The other 9 guys fall somewhere between solid depth pieces to guys who probably shouldn't be on the roster.

Advertisement
Back