Spring Preview: LB

Poppa Shaq is right. Way to many people are really down on Zach. I think early in the year he was trying to live up to all the hype and destroy someone on every play instead of just playing ball. There was a play on the first drive of the BCC game that summed up his season when he overran the play and just destroyed a blocked as the ball carrier ran by him for a 20 yard gain. However he played better late in the year and i think he got his confidence back a bit, but that was a great point by Poppa Shaq. He was down on himself and couldn't dig out. Confidence is a huge factor to playing well.

As for the expectations for our guys last year, i think we all expected them to be first team AA and the expectations were probably just a little bit unreasonable. This season is huge for them because now they know how teams will attack them. How do they counter will be a huge part of their success this season IMO. I actually think our LBs are going to have the season this coming year that we all wanted them to have last year.

Advertisement
One thing I've never doubted in all three of these kids was their maturity. Glad to hear they are putting in real deal work. IMO, you've got to be special to declare early for the draft as a traditional off-ball linebacker. Some special measureables PLUS excelling on the field as a first team all-conference player. Look at the top three off-ball LBs in this years draft...Roquon Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, and Leighton Vander Esch...all superior athletes, all superior All-Conference players.

Looking at that tier two at the position, Malik Jefferson was an All-Conference player before injury, and a superior athlete. Shaquem Griffin speaks for himself. Then you get to the Josey Jewell types that are essentially All-Americans sans elite measurables. This is the status quo at the position...you've got to get to that level. Right now, the boys are more like honorable mention All-Conference players. Need to ascend up the ranks this year and make a HUGE leap.
McCloud got a lot of good competion now with Smith and Wilder. I really believe Derrick Smith is going to take the starting job at SLB. McCloud has all the physical talent but he is going to have to prove that he's starting caliber.

I know we got on ppl for calling out Pinckneys weight gain last year... but he really needs to get in better shape. That was the biggest difference imo between his play last year and his freshman year.

Quarterman is going to beast... i want to see more splash plays from him on top of more consistency and I believe we will see that with him this season.
Pinckney had a similar season as he did his freshman year but I agree He can get in shape with a better diet. It will help him in the long run

Advertisement
The best part about this site is not only getting a good write up from Stefan, but immediate posts by fathers of two of our linebackers. Thanks @Stefan Adams, @waynejr31, and @UknowWhat
Yes, I was actually waiting on this thread to see how accurate it would be. I think he was on point, but I guess I am a lot higher on Pinckney than a lot of you. I also think that due to our D-Lineman making a lot of plays last season, that could be attributed to the lower numbers this year for our LB's. Not enough on the plate when our pass defense was so horrendous!!!

Last edited:
Yes, I was actually waiting on this thread to see how accurate it would be. I think he was on point, but I guess I am a lot higher on Pinckney they a lot of you. I also think that due to our D-Lineman making a lot of plays last season, that could be attributed to the lower numbers this year for our LB's. Not enough on the plate when our pass defense was so horrendous!!!
Count me in as very high on Pinckney. All the Body Shaping with Kiana and Corey humps on here are too focused on peeping 6 pack abs instead of watching dogs tear it up on the football field.

Why isn’t Amari Carter being considered as a LB before D smith.. from what I remember whenever we went dime package. A carter played in the box and D Smith was at nickel

Advertisement
Putting on the Poppa hat... Shaq was 2nd Team All ACC this year... 3rd Team last year along with Freshmen All American...then invited to this year's Combine as a projected top 32 for the 2019 Draft... so he has mustered up some accolades ... but Im with you expecting more than what we got last season... to be honest i expected a little more out of his Freshmen season... I didn't give him a break for being a Freshmen... as I saw it as he was playing with his peers ... but don't get me wrong I'm extremely proud of him ... but he and I agree there will always be room for improvement

Bottom line....we can analyze and break down everything as parents but Shaq has three of the most important things going for him
1) other teams fear him and have to be accountable for his whereabouts on every play
2) he will not be out worked by anyone...teammates or opponents. I also say this because it is the same for him in class room from what I hear. He leaves early for NFL and you don’t worry about him finished his education.
3) and HE HAS STAYED HEALTHY! This is so critical. DO has the injury early on and was never the same player. Felt awful for that kid and, like Shaq, he is a great kid. You have a kid like Jamie Gordinier, and like all these guys, had huge dreams. The injuries and rehabbing all the time really take a toll on a 19 year old kid. So Shaq’s Health is huge for him. 🙏🏻🏈💲

Steed is going to be the best backup LB on the roster imo. Mike Smith will likely dominate the backup ILB reps, so Bradley Jennings likely isn't going to be used too heavily this season. Charles Perry is recovering from injury, but once he returns, he's going to get a lot of the backup OLB reps too.

OLB though is open. In no way is McClouds starting spot locked down. The best 3 LBs will see the field, and with Perry rehabbing, Steed and Wilder have a great opportunity this spring to make a move for McClouds job. Personally I think McCloud will step up his play, but Steed is going to be the primary OLB off the bench until Charles Perry returns.

Derrick Smith is going to be heavily used this yr I think. He's going to be in a LOT on passing downs, I'd bet. I much rather have Smith on the field at LB in 3rd and long than one of our LBs...unless they can rush the passer.

SLB: McCloud > Perry > Wilder/Smith > Joyner

MLB: Shaq > Smith > Jennings

WLB: Pinkney > Steed

I agree with Terry McCray moving down to DE. At the end of the day he should NOT in any circumstance play LB for us because we have 10 guys ahead of him on the roster. But at DE we only have 5 guys. McCray honestly shouldn't see the field at DE either. But at least he will have practice there if the situation gets really bad due to injuries. honestly though if we needed it I rather switch the defensive allignment to more of a 34 look and kick willis/bethel out to DE....thanhave McCray play a snap
No 3-4 please. Had enough of that fat cow defense from Golden. We will go back to not finding the NT is requires and putting weight on LBs instead of speed.

Putting on the Poppa hat... Shaq was 2nd Team All ACC this year... 3rd Team last year along with Freshmen All American...then invited to this year's Combine as a projected top 32 for the 2019 Draft... so he has mustered up some accolades ... but Im with you expecting more than what we got last season... to be honest i expected a little more out of his Freshmen season... I didn't give him a break for being a Freshmen... as I saw it as he was playing with his peers ... but don't get me wrong I'm extremely proud of him ... but he and I agree there will always be room for improvement
Last year was so exciting and the end so disappointing to those of us who got caught up in it memories of the glory years that we can find shortcomings in any player. I’m not sure if we overachieved or underachieved last year, but I do know that ND game was like being in the OB again in the 80’s and for that I am eternally grateful to every player and coach and the fan that made it so. I was not sure I would ever feel that way again. I guess I am still enjoying it to much to find the flaws. I hope you kids crushes it this year, smiles as he holds the trophy we all want, and then cashes that Top ten bonus check. Oh and then buys you and Mom new cars.

Advertisement
good write up.

its good to see some of the guys on IG and Snap it seems always working. We'll see how spring goes.

i know pickney has been working crazy i think i seen some abs lol. Bandy is consistently working too

I agree... because the Bermuda Triangle 1.0 was juniors and seniors and played behind one of the best defensive lines in the country.. so it's not a fair comparison

Ul3BJxv.gif

Advertisement
Ok you got me...lol. But really I agree with you ... they have not done anything that will be written into UM History... which is a hard thing to do considering UM History.
Ps U and I are not the only ones to know this...someone asked me to recreate a photo of rhe Bermuda Triangle using Mike Zack and Shaq and all three were unanimous with saying they are not there yet.

Ps U and I are not the only ones to know this...someone asked me to recreate a photo of rhe Bermuda Triangle using Mike Zack and Shaq and all three were unanimous with saying they are not there yet.
Just giving you a hard time, I appreciate all you bring to this forum and I'm a big fan of your son as a player and young man, you should be very proud.

Bottom line....we can analyze and break down everything as parents but Shaq has three of the most important things going for him
1) other teams fear him and have to be accountable for his whereabouts on every play
2) he will not be out worked by anyone...teammates or opponents. I also say this because it is the same for him in class room from what I hear. He leaves early for NFL and you don’t worry about him finished his education.
3) and HE HAS STAYED HEALTHY! This is so critical. DO has the injury early on and was never the same player. Felt awful for that kid and, like Shaq, he is a great kid. You have a kid like Jamie Gordinier, and like all these guys, had huge dreams. The injuries and rehabbing all the time really take a toll on a 19 year old kid. So Shaq’s Health is huge for him. 🙏🏻🏈💲
He comes off as fairly charismatic also, specifically he doesn't have a face for radio and doesn't seem like a liability if interviewed. Kid is marketable and I can absolutely see him being the face of a franchise assuming he stays healthy and hungry.

Advertisement
Back