Spring Spring PractiSe 9 : Closed scrimmage

Advertisement
Wasn't the reason he came to miami because he didn't want to play star for Georgia and miami gave him the chance at cb.
Yes it was but now it must be clear to him that his skill set will determine the position he plays and the one most likely to get him paid.

The reason he transferred is because he was fittin to git passed up by betta players at Georgia. Ifin he stayed at Georgia he’d be a national champion with a ring but would have been a second stringer and mite not have as good a shot at making it to the league.
This is 100% false. UGA had to bring in portal players last year to fill in holes in their secondary.

Advertisement
LOL . . . I thought that reports of unwanted observers asked to leave was the stuff of legends. Not so.

I walked over after the gym yesterday to catch a few minutes and after 5 minutes, I was [politely] asked to leave. (Who is even looking out for me?!) I guess this is where we insert the joke that even Mario's security team is leaps and bounds ahead of Manny's :)

Too bad because I had great timing. Got to see 6 7 on 7 reps and the start of scrimmaging before I was booted.

I won't say 1st team, 2nd team because I don't know but you can judge units presumably based on grouping . . .

7 on 7 . . . I saw 2 reps of each QB . . .

-TVD completed a beautiful--maybe 20-25 yard?--seam pass to Arroyo from the slot for a TD. I couldn't see who was in primary coverage but 0 was also there and neither defender could do a **** thing. Just a gorgeous pitch and catch. Wow moment.
-Garcia came in after and took a shot to Redding into the corner EZ that was well covered (incomplete). The next play was a short pass to Ladson that I believe he dropped. I had a pretty crappy view so maybe it was tipped?
-Small sample size, but Jacurri was nowhere near as decisive and quick with the football as either 9 or 13. On the first play, he ended up dumping it off to the RB. On the second, he did not get it off in time. In real time, he's sacked on both plays or taking off himself.

11 on 11 . . . I only saw maybe 4-5 plays. (You can thank security I don't have more insightful notes for all you paying customers of this site!)

-The 1st grouping with TVD was Parrish, X, Smith . . . could not see other WR.
-Starters . . . on D line, it was 55 91 and 33. Secondary was 15 0 29 23 and yes 8. I presume Harvey was the other starter but it moved fast.
-I did not see 56 in during the drive.
-I did see 95 at end who subbed in for 33 presumably. Davis looks smaller just by comparison's sake than Chantz. I wonder if he's a tweener type?
-X caught a short pass (may have been 1st play) and did X things: he broke the 1st tackle and then fought 4 defenders to gain an extra half yard. Dude is a wild dog.
-Keontra picked off TVD which drew a huge response from the D unit.

I posted this in another thread and it was correctly pointed out that it's a small sample size; that said, my recollection is that Manny utilized the IPF maybe even exclusively, at least in the mornings. I don't even recall having the chance to sneak a peek or 2 like I have the last several weeks. I don't want to disparage Manny, but I agree with Mario's approach to hold practice outside. (Everything has been outside under Mario.) I always understood the purpose of the IPF was in the event of bad weather. It should NOT be a substitute for playing outdoors. We play outside and have to utilize that to our advantage. We should not have games like MSU where the cold-weather team is getting stronger as the game wears on as compared to us. (Admittedly, they were also more physical, but the point stands-we got to be better than the other team acclimating to the heat.)

The overreaction to things on this board good or bad is utterly ridiculous. It’s spring practice relax
🤨🧐 you’re not @SouthParkCane lol

Seriously though, you’re right. This is why there are spring practices. For these young men to improve. Manny Diaz was the DC (and LBs coach) last year. They finally have a real DC and real DL coaches. Let these coaches earn their paycheck and pray that when the season starts, most of the bad habits are gone, replaced by better techniques. A lot of this stuff, we can’t hold against the players. The last staff allowed the bad techniques and other crap to happen. This staff isn’t. Let’s give these players a chance to show us what they can do with much better coaching.

Last edited:
The reason he transferred is because he was fittin to git passed up by betta players at Georgia. Ifin he stayed at Georgia he’d be a national champion with a ring but would have been a second stringer and mite not have as good a shot at making it to the league.
Not true

Advertisement

He was slotted to start at UGA star position. That would've been similar to if Keontra left our defense last year after "sitting behind" Gil for the Covid season.

People are surprised that LT is struggling? I am not.

Here is the thing about trench play people seem to forget every season it seems: If you are an athlete with no hands, bad leverage and bad pad level playing against someone with that who isnt an athlete, you will get your butt kicked 10/10 times. LT was a straight up shooter last season and thats kinda what suited him best, because he could use his quickness. Now, however, DT at times have to hold gaps for others and its a lot of these drills that we are working on. LT hasnt had any coaching in his first season and he is in his second year. It's fine, it can be developed and coached up. If he gets into the lab with Jason Taylor enough, he will be fine moving forward lol

Added to the fact that the O-Line has seemed to developed a very mean spirit in 1vs1 blocking and a young buck like LT can be overwhelmed. It happens, I am glad these things happen now and not in August.

This LT narrative is going to get some legs, huh? He's the new Lingard for you all? The new boogeyman? He's a true sophomore who was coached poorly until just a few weeks ago. He's been here less than a year. He will learn a lot between now and the season.

A former UM coach and a former star UM player who have both been around a lot this spring were asked the following question in an Athletic article that dropped yesterday:

Who has stood out among the defensive linemen?

Coach 2:
“Just (Leonard) Taylor.”

Player 1: “LT flashes. But when you look at great teams, he shouldn’t have to play. Because you want him to develop as a man, learn different things for hand placement, etc.”

The ONLY DL that either of them mentioned as standing out is LT. Maybe this board is getting a little too far out on their skis with this stuff right now.

Coach Macho out here pullin a straight up Uncle move with his BBQ sixth sense - "oh, I was just in the neighborhood and thought I'd say h....oh, y'all havin a bbq? Naw, I couldn't...ok, just one plate"
(Macho)...Excuse me, but do y'all have Chicken Wings??.. don't mean to be picky, but thought I should ask...didn't see it in the itinerary. ...

Advertisement
People are surprised that LT is struggling? I am not.

Here is the thing about trench play people seem to forget every season it seems: If you are an athlete with no hands, bad leverage and bad pad level playing against someone with that who isnt an athlete, you will get your butt kicked 10/10 times. LT was a straight up shooter last season and thats kinda what suited him best, because he could use his quickness. Now, however, DT at times have to hold gaps for others and its a lot of these drills that we are working on. LT hasnt had any coaching in his first season and he is in his second year. It's fine, it can be developed and coached up. If he gets into the lab with Jason Taylor enough, he will be fine moving forward lol

Added to the fact that the O-Line has seemed to developed a very mean spirit in 1vs1 blocking and a young buck like LT can be overwhelmed. It happens, I am glad these things happen now and not in August.
This....

I am not sure where the LT/Wilfork stuff started, but if you are comparing players to all timers be prepared to be disappointed. That is an unfair comparison to make of any d-lineman. He's a generational talent, not even a once-a-decade guy.
If there is a fair comparison for Taylor, it would be William Joseph for me. Similar size. Both very quick and present problems for guards when rushing the passer. Joseph also played outside some which we could do back then because we had enough talent at d-tackle to slide him out.

Advertisement
Mario playing mind games trying to build this team mentally.

Man I ***** love this dude!! I'm so happy he's our Coach dudes mindset is perfect for what we need! I can just see it now there's no if and or buts in his mind he is going to stack talent and dominate college football! I can see a dynasty coming and he's loyal asf a cane through an through! Example: if Saban retired an they wanted Mario through him unlimited cash he would tell them to suck it! Cause in his heart he knows this Canes program is top to bottom better than any other situation in CFB!! I love TF out of my team seeing what this guy has done so far is mind blowing!!! We're finally coming back! He's now my All Time favorite college coach EVER!! He's gonna win big and unlike the others he's actually gonna STAY we don't have to worry about him goin anywhere!! Love y'all crazy mfs Go Canes!!! Everybody have a bad *** day god bless💚💯

Advertisement
Back