Spring Spring PractiSe 9 : Closed scrimmage

Advertisement
What I posted was done in real time regarding him. I had no malicious intent. A person that was there was letting us know how we was performing and I relayed that to the board. Either we want to know what’s going on with our players or we don’t. Good and bad…

Now if you wanna say that’s how narrative’s start, keep that same energy when Dmoney, Gary, Chris Stock, Gabby and other Cane journalists provide critiques to the players.

100% I keep that same energy when anybody post anything, I’m a skeptic about everything when it involves making projections about a player, over one or two practice plays, viewed from a distance.

My comments were not directed as a dagger towards the people reporting it, but what I said about the result of these types of reports is true. Follow what I’m saying.

I’ve seen this happen on this site dozens of times. Somebody has a couple of bad plays in practice, or maybe gets pancaked one time, or overthrows one pass, and then it begins.

Don’t tell me you havent seen that on this site before. It hasn’t been as bad with LT in this thread, as it’s been with other players in other threads, but this stuff blow up into accepted CIS narratives. Many times.

I didn't even know there was a family barbecue today. I just came by to watch practice. I get there, and there's hundreds of people on the field and I'm like 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Few notes...

*Couch is really coming into his own. He's by far our most technically sound DB. His press man skills are awesome. Spoke to his dad for a while. Let's just say, everybody is glad that Manny is gone. With these new coaches, Couch can now play his game. He's comfortable and feeling rejuvenated. Look for a solid season.

*Chaminade boys looked good today. Haye is starting to make a few plays and Thad was toting the rock hard today. Second practice in a row that I've seen solid performances from these two.

*Steele went with some 3 Safety looks with Blades, Huff and Tae playing deep. Huff got his pic while playing middle deep third.

*X murders people in one-on-ones. He be cooking Blades a$$ especially. He had a case of the dropsies today though. (in scrimmage period) Killed DB's to get open but then let a couple go through his hands.

*Ladson is not a guy IMO. He did make a nice contested catch today but other than that, he leaves a lot to be desired at times.

*Keontra had a nice interception. I love his game.

*Avantae is just a plain stud. He sticks out to me.

*Some of us have been saying it for a while, and a few of y'all don't want to hear it, but James Williams is not a deep Safety.🤷🏻‍♂️ Steele is using him properly though (IMO). I saw him near the LOS a lot today, covering TE's. He's a good player, but he has to be utilized correctly. He needs to be moved around.

*Dare I say it, but Arroyo might be an early round draft pick at TE. He's a **** stud and really stands out.

*Defense got a lot of pressure on the QB's today. It also looked like Steele may have put in some new wrinkles within the last week. Anytime a new coordinator arrives, you have to spoon feed the players.

*A lot of people around Greentree think that Jacurri and Skinner are going to be special. They stick out for sure. We got some young pups on this team (Brown, Skinner, Moss) who I'm really excited about. I can't wait to see their development.

*I actually spoke to an assistant coach about this, but one of the things that struck me is how bare we are on the front-7 in terms of talent. I don't know WTF Manny was doing, but more than half of those kids don't even look the part. They don't even look like someone you'd want walking off the bus when you're about to play an ACC component. So many of them are either too short, too stumpy, too fat, too skinny, too stiff, etc. That stuck out to quite a few people I spoke to today.

*My last point is why I want us to calm our expectations. We still need a couple recruiting classes to even look like a Miami team on OL, DL, LB and CB.

*You know the culture here is special when you have legends like Bain and Ed Reed wearing aprons and serving barbecue. I literally had the greatest Safety of all-time serve me barbecue chicken today and I stood 2 feet next to Alonzo Highsmith while I ate it. If I wasn't such a fat a$s I would have framed that piece of chicken instead of inhaling it.

*I spoke to more UM coaches in the past week than I did in 4 years under Manny. And the more I go around Greentree, the more stories I hear about that pompous cornball. Good riddance.

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Thanks for the info!

Here we go.

Random comments based off of non-professional observations, literally just a few exploratory practices into spring, and already LT is a jag.

The over-emotional lability on the site is palpable.
Are you somehow implying that it’s too early to write this kid off? I mean, it’s April, what are you waiting for?
Heard he got benched.

I didn’t feel anything, I was just reading the posts above. From he got benched, to we should not downgrade the comments about bad performance, all focusing on one guy maybe having a bad day.

Similar type of thing as people saying last spring that Garcia was the one, and should be the starter day one. Well not exactly the same, but close.

This is how narratives get started based on little information.
You’re spot on, this is how these narratives start. There are just some people here who will always find a negative. At this point, the kid is still a work in progress which is fine. But some people can’t have that. And what’s the best way to downgrade a kid? Compare him to the best. So this kid isn’t as good as Vince. Another is no Sean Taylor. Sh*t, MFr was comparing a kid who’s still in HS with the greatest return man the NFL has ever seen. Nice job, there’s a 99.9999% he can’t live up to that. Now we’ve got a failure on our hands.

I think people want so despotic make a bold prediction that they can’t help but compare untested players to the greats. It’s annoying. Give them a f*cking chance.

Advertisement
Are you somehow implying that it’s too early to write this kid off? I mean, it’s April, what are you waiting for?

You’re spot on, this is how these narratives start. There are just some people here who will always find a negative. At this point, the kid is still a work in progress which is fine. But some people can’t have that. And what’s the best way to downgrade a kid? Compare him to the best. So this kid isn’t as good as Vince. Another is no Sean Taylor. Sh*t, MFr was comparing a kid who’s still in HS with the greatest return man the NFL has ever seen. Nice job, there’s a 99.9999% he can’t live up to that. Now we’ve got a failure on our hands.

I think people want so despotic make a bold prediction that they can’t help but compare untested players to the greats. It’s annoying. Give them a f*cking chance.

Thank you for getting where I’m coming from. Apparently I wasn’t getting through. Has nothing to do with somebody reporting someone had a couple of bad plays or a half bad practice, more has to do with then how people take that and twist that and start weaving their narratives.

You’re already seeing it here. I just noticed in some later posts where they were talking about “well LT was suspect” or something like that.

I didn't even know there was a family barbecue today. I just came by to watch practice. I get there, and there's hundreds of people on the field and I'm like 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Few notes...

*Couch is really coming into his own. He's by far our most technically sound DB. His press man skills are awesome. Spoke to his dad for a while. Let's just say, everybody is glad that Manny is gone. With these new coaches, Couch can now play his game. He's comfortable and feeling rejuvenated. Look for a solid season.

*Chaminade boys looked good today. Haye is starting to make a few plays and Thad was toting the rock hard today. Second practice in a row that I've seen solid performances from these two.

*Steele went with some 3 Safety looks with Blades, Huff and Tae playing deep. Huff got his pic while playing middle deep third.

*X murders people in one-on-ones. He be cooking Blades a$$ especially. He had a case of the dropsies today though. (in scrimmage period) Killed DB's to get open but then let a couple go through his hands.

*Ladson is not a guy IMO. He did make a nice contested catch today but other than that, he leaves a lot to be desired at times.

*Keontra had a nice interception. I love his game.

*Avantae is just a plain stud. He sticks out to me.

*Some of us have been saying it for a while, and a few of y'all don't want to hear it, but James Williams is not a deep Safety.🤷🏻‍♂️ Steele is using him properly though (IMO). I saw him near the LOS a lot today, covering TE's. He's a good player, but he has to be utilized correctly. He needs to be moved around.

*Dare I say it, but Arroyo might be an early round draft pick at TE. He's a **** stud and really stands out.

*Defense got a lot of pressure on the QB's today. It also looked like Steele may have put in some new wrinkles within the last week. Anytime a new coordinator arrives, you have to spoon feed the players.

*A lot of people around Greentree think that Jacurri and Skinner are going to be special. They stick out for sure. We got some young pups on this team (Brown, Skinner, Moss) who I'm really excited about. I can't wait to see their development.

*I actually spoke to an assistant coach about this, but one of the things that struck me is how bare we are on the front-7 in terms of talent. I don't know WTF Manny was doing, but more than half of those kids don't even look the part. They don't even look like someone you'd want walking off the bus when you're about to play an ACC component. So many of them are either too short, too stumpy, too fat, too skinny, too stiff, etc. That stuck out to quite a few people I spoke to today.

*My last point is why I want us to calm our expectations. We still need a couple recruiting classes to even look like a Miami team on OL, DL, LB and CB.

*You know the culture here is special when you have legends like Bain and Ed Reed wearing aprons and serving barbecue. I literally had the greatest Safety of all-time serve me barbecue chicken today and I stood 2 feet next to Alonzo Highsmith while I ate it. If I wasn't such a fat a$s I would have framed that piece of chicken instead of inhaling it.

*I spoke to more UM coaches in the past week than I did in 4 years under Manny. And the more I go around Greentree, the more stories I hear about that pompous cornball. Good riddance.

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Coach Macho out here pullin a straight up Uncle move with his BBQ sixth sense - "oh, I was just in the neighborhood and thought I'd say h....oh, y'all havin a bbq? Naw, I couldn't...ok, just one plate"

Advertisement
If she made you a dish with red sauce right after that, I hope you didn't eat it
Knew a guy back in the day who would do missions at our “sister high school” in Haiti - ended up bringing a girl back, married her like a good little Catholic, caught her one day “red handed” playing those games - still makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time I think about it.

Advertisement
Thank you for getting where I’m coming from. Apparently I wasn’t getting through. Has nothing to do with somebody reporting someone had a couple of bad plays or a half bad practice, more has to do with then how people take that and twist that and start weaving their narratives.

You’re already seeing it here. I just noticed in some later posts where they were talking about “well LT was suspect” or something like that.
You see this all the time with QBs. Like now, people raving about Garcia. Assuming TVD leaves after this year and Garcia stays, the expectations will be sky high for him, and the raving about Brown or whoever we pick up this cycle will begin. There are huge expectations for every single kid, and we all know most kids don’t ever become stars. So all those guys who are in the rotation and helping the team on the field are still failures because CiS porsters decided they should be all-Americans. Then they show up on a list of players CiS wants to hit the portal.

Jon Drummond
gary coleman television GIF

Advertisement
Every year we all know the holes coming into the off-season and somehow think they’ll be magically plugged by players getting better. Yes that can happen. But experience tells me to expect the worst while hoping for the best.

The things that pleasantly surprise me about Macho’s writeup and the other snippets I’ve read (no particular order) :
* Keontra
* Thaddeus
* JW closer to the line
* TVD accuracy and confidence
* George
* Arroyo (I knew he would be a stud just not so soon)

The things that didn’t surprise me:
* No clear Rambo replacement
* No breakaway talent at LB
* No true rush defender anywhere across DE, DT and LB that’s ready to go.
* Talent gaps especially behind the 1s

The things I had hoped we would fix but still haven’t:
* MLB
* NG with burst
* RT (I realize this one is debatable)

Maybe Couch and Porter can be 2/3 CBs and coaches can bring the other guys along during the season. Maybe Agude can get his technique down to get a step faster for sacks and pressures. Maybe Scaife or Campbell or McLaughlin or Oluwaseun can be that RT we need.

Still too many question marks and holes to be super confident about the season. Optimistic yes. Confident no. Good news is Mario knows all of the above too and is a relentless builder. We still have time.

Doesn’t seem like anyone other than Mario thinks moultrie is a dt. Lichtenstein is an ok start, but would love a dt or two at the same caliber as agude.
He did the same thing with a certain LT that everyone swore was a guard at Oregon. Some first round draft pick names penei sewell or some ****… 🤷🏿‍♂️ I just know I trust any opinion Mario has in the trenches.

People are surprised that LT is struggling? I am not.

Here is the thing about trench play people seem to forget every season it seems: If you are an athlete with no hands, bad leverage and bad pad level playing against someone with that who isnt an athlete, you will get your butt kicked 10/10 times. LT was a straight up shooter last season and thats kinda what suited him best, because he could use his quickness. Now, however, DT at times have to hold gaps for others and its a lot of these drills that we are working on. LT hasnt had any coaching in his first season and he is in his second year. It's fine, it can be developed and coached up. If he gets into the lab with Jason Taylor enough, he will be fine moving forward lol

Added to the fact that the O-Line has seemed to developed a very mean spirit in 1vs1 blocking and a young buck like LT can be overwhelmed. It happens, I am glad these things happen now and not in August.

Advertisement
Back