Spring Spring PractiSe 9 : Closed scrimmage

Advertisement
I didn't even know there was a family barbecue today. I just came by to watch practice. I get there, and there's hundreds of people on the field and I'm like 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Few notes...

*Couch is really coming into his own. He's by far our most technically sound DB. His press man skills are awesome. Spoke to his dad for a while. Let's just say, everybody is glad that Manny is gone. With these new coaches, Couch can now play his game. He's comfortable and feeling rejuvenated. Look for a solid season.

*Chaminade boys looked good today. Haye is starting to make a few plays and Thad was toting the rock hard today. Second practice in a row that I've seen solid performances from these two.

*Steele went with some 3 Safety looks with Blades, Huff and Tae playing deep. Huff got his pic while playing middle deep third.

*X murders people in one-on-ones. He be cooking Blades a$$ especially. He had a case of the dropsies today though. (in scrimmage period) Killed DB's to get open but then let a couple go through his hands.

*Ladson is not a guy IMO. He did make a nice contested catch today but other than that, he leaves a lot to be desired at times.

*Keontra had a nice interception. I love his game.

*Avantae is just a plain stud. He sticks out to me.

*Some of us have been saying it for a while, and a few of y'all don't want to hear it, but James Williams is not a deep Safety.🤷🏻‍♂️ Steele is using him properly though (IMO). I saw him near the LOS a lot today, covering TE's. He's a good player, but he has to be utilized correctly. He needs to be moved around.

*Dare I say it, but Arroyo might be an early round draft pick at TE. He's a **** stud and really stands out.

*Defense got a lot of pressure on the QB's today. It also looked like Steele may have put in some new wrinkles within the last week. Anytime a new coordinator arrives, you have to spoon feed the players.

*A lot of people around Greentree think that Jacurri and Skinner are going to be special. They stick out for sure. We got some young pups on this team (Brown, Skinner, Moss) who I'm really excited about. I can't wait to see their development.

*I actually spoke to an assistant coach about this, but one of the things that struck me is how bare we are on the front-7 in terms of talent. I don't know WTF Manny was doing, but more than half of those kids don't even look the part. They don't even look like someone you'd want walking off the bus when you're about to play an ACC component. So many of them are either too short, too stumpy, too fat, too skinny, too stiff, etc. That stuck out to quite a few people I spoke to today.

*My last point is why I want us to calm our expectations. We still need a couple recruiting classes to even look like a Miami team on OL, DL, LB and CB.

*You know the culture here is special when you have legends like Bain and Ed Reed wearing aprons and serving barbecue. I literally had the greatest Safety of all-time serve me barbecue chicken today and I stood 2 feet next to Alonzo Highsmith while I ate it. If I wasn't such a fat a$s I would have framed that piece of chicken instead of inhaling it.

*I spoke to more UM coaches in the past week than I did in 4 years under Manny. And the more I go around Greentree, the more stories I hear about that pompous cornball. Good riddance.

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Thank you! Ppl see 4* and assume it means something. This roster lacks depth and has holes, we need at least two recruiting classes to get it right.

Advertisement
Not necessarily true. Drummond been on spaces since last Saturday saying LT been struggling in spring. If true or not don’t know. Don’t know who this guy his besides he’s a alumni
You misunderstood me. What I'm saying is anything I reported today from what was said, is strictly me going off of today's practice. I have no prior knowledge of how LT has been performing previously.

I didn't even know there was a family barbecue today. I just came by to watch practice. I get there, and there's hundreds of people on the field and I'm like 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Few notes...

*Couch is really coming into his own. He's by far our most technically sound DB. His press man skills are awesome. Spoke to his dad for a while. Let's just say, everybody is glad that Manny is gone. With these new coaches, Couch can now play his game. He's comfortable and feeling rejuvenated. Look for a solid season.

*Chaminade boys looked good today. Haye is starting to make a few plays and Thad was toting the rock hard today. Second practice in a row that I've seen solid performances from these two.

*Steele went with some 3 Safety looks with Blades, Huff and Tae playing deep. Huff got his pic while playing middle deep third.

*X murders people in one-on-ones. He be cooking Blades a$$ especially. He had a case of the dropsies today though. (in scrimmage period) Killed DB's to get open but then let a couple go through his hands.

*Ladson is not a guy IMO. He did make a nice contested catch today but other than that, he leaves a lot to be desired at times.

*Some of us have been saying it for a while, and a few of y'all don't want to hear it, but James Williams is not a deep Safety.🤷🏻‍♂️ Steele is using him properly though (IMO). I saw him near the LOS a lot today, covering TE's. He's a good player, but he has to be utilized correctly. He needs to be moved around.

*Dare I say it, but Arroyo might be an early round draft pick at TE. He's a **** stud and really stands out.

*Defense got a lot of pressure on the QB's today. It also looked like Steele may have put in some new wrinkles within the last week. Anytime a new coordinator arrives, you have to spoon feed the players.

*A lot of people around Greentree think that Jacurri and Skinner are going to be special. They stick out for sure. We got some young pups on this team (Brown, Skinner, Moss) who I'm really excited about. I can't wait to see their development.

*I actually spoke to an assistant coach about this, but one of the things that struck me is how bare we are on the front-7 in terms of talent. I don't know WTF Manny was doing, but more than half of those kids don't even look the part. They don't even look like someone you'd want walking off the bus when you're about to play an ACC component. So many of them are either too short, too stumpy, too fat, too skinny, too stiff, etc. That stuck out to quite a few people I spoke to today.

*My last point is why I want us to calm our expectations. We still need a couple recruiting classes to even look like a Miami team on OL, DL, LB and CB.

*You know the culture here is special when you have legends like Bain and Ed Reed wearing aprons and serving barbecue. I literally had the greatest Safety of all-time serve me barbecue chicken today and I stood 2 feet next to Alonzo Highsmith while I ate it. If I wasn't such a fat a$s I would have framed that piece of chicken instead of inhaling it.

*I spoke to more UM coaches in the past week than I did in 4 years under Manny. And the more I go around Greentree, the more stories I hear about that pompous cornball. Good riddance.

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Gracias.

Few notes...

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Williams will be a major weapon glad Steele is here to make it happen.

Huff at safety is interesting.

Our front 7 is doodoo. No way around it same as LB. Portal can only do so much this year.

I still think we can win the coastal and that would be a huge accomplishment year 1 and keep this train moving.

Recruiting should fix this roster but anyone with eyes and knowledge knows this is. 2-3 year project.

Not complete rebuild but it needs a lot of work.

Advertisement
Capitalize That G fool
Oh No What GIF by Identity

Few notes...

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Now this is more like it I hate hearing all sunshine during spring. We haven't been good and just polishing a **** doesn't make it a diamond.

Few notes...

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Great to hear that yourself and other HS coaches are getting plenty of access and there are Hurricane legends all over Greentree. And it’s much appreciated that your sharing your experiences with us here.

I really just want or know how the food was.

Advertisement
LT and JHH might struggle a bit in this scheme of DT aren’t used to penetrate like manny’s Scheme and more of Gap integrity because they are tweeners
Steele is a pretty aggressive DC when it comes to his Front 7. I don’t think it will take too much of a adjustment tbh. It’s still a 4 man front. I think we had some guys the past 2 szn doing tooo much freelancing tho

Advertisement

Few notes...

View attachment 180926
View attachment 180927

View attachment 180928
Coach Macho, thanks again for providing a first hand account of these things along with the insight. I appreciate it and I know a lot of others on here do as well.

Steele is a pretty aggressive DC when it comes to his Front 7. I don’t think it will take too much of a adjustment tbh. It’s still a 4 man front. I think we had some guys the past 2 szn doing tooo much freelancing tho
Yea and that’s what i mean i think manny used the word Chaos up front and Steele may just have rush lanes where you have certain responsibilities, so there is certain discipline you may need to excel in this defense

@Coach Macho I'm glad someone is willing to say it with James Williams. Great player, but not a very gifted deep safety especially in the single high role. Avantae is going to be our man there and he really stands out in it I think
I don't think that's Avantae's role either. Kam will most likely be the deep safety after he returns.

Advertisement
Back