Spring Spring PractiSe 5: Thursday March 21

Advertisement
Welcome to the new day in college football. Players have the power.
The NFL should set up a D-League at IMG.
College education (IMG figures that part out) while training in Bradenton and playing your games at IMG.
Just a league of the top 800 players or so (8 teams).
Makes scouting easy, everyone is in a top quality S&C program and you know the quality of team they're playing.

HS system will be "club" soon anyway.

While I understand the overall sentiment..people are being a little naive to think that a top flight corner would come in here to "compete" with Richard, Brown and Porter. You would even be hard pressed to get a starting caliber CB to take that deal. So what are we talking about? Bringing in a depth guy? So all this fuss over that?

Using a real example..any top tier RB in the portal that we go after is walking into our room..looking around..and saying to themselves, "At worst, Im the #2 guy in here if this Fletcher guy comes back 100%..if he doesnt, im the #1 guy."...a portal CB cant say that about the CB room. There is way more competition in the top part of that CB room even if the fanbase isnt convinced of it.

Advertisement
I think we're over hyping the CB issue I think the problem is Safety more than anything! We got Porter, Brown, Richard, Stafford, looks like Powell at Nickel Safety is the issue imo those 3 corners are just young they will be fine put Washington over there if needed Mack is coming in he held his own is UA game an practices underrated. I'd be looking at a RB1, Wr1 if the right guy comes, a starting FS and maybe a DT. Rb an Safety are my two concerns

Wow didn’t now we had a NIL cap/budget
The way I’m understanding it knowing multiple NIL people at different schools basically it’s all the teams are somewhat trying to work together, but also not work together, on trying to find a lid for this madness

So it’s competition always, but schools are also trying to push back against the demands of the players. Like any other free market system I suppose

So “budget” kind of a loose term

Advertisement
I hear you brotha’, and I understand what you are saying….I just don’t necessarily agree. Is what it is, win games come fall. All that matters.

Can we understand that budget is finite and in this NIL and Portal era any move can hurt you twice at much. I just see a bunch of cry babies screaming around when we finally got a great QB a finally some studs at WR?

Last edited:
While I understand the overall sentiment..people are being a little naive to think that a top flight corner would come in here to "compete" with Richard, Brown and Porter. You would even be hard pressed to get a starting caliber CB to take that deal. So what are we talking about? Bringing in a depth guy? So all this fuss over that?

Using a real example..any top tier RB in the portal that we go after is walking into our room..looking around..and saying to themselves, "At worst, Im the #2 guy in here if this Fletcher guy comes back 100%..if he doesnt, im the #1 guy."...a portal CB cant say that about the CB room. There is way more competition in the top part of that CB room even if the fanbase isnt convinced of it.

You are a lot more positive about our CB room than I am. Richard, Brown and Porter do not give me any better vibes than Ivey, Blades and Couch. I strongly believe that you need a true alpha in that room, and that any Stevenson type would walk in knowing they could beat out these other guys.

And again, there are enough reps to go around. There are 150+ snaps each game to share across 2.5 spots, so it's more like a 50-40-40-20 type outcome than a 60-60-30-0 type outcome.

Can we understand that budget is finite and in this NIL and Portal era any move can hurt you twice at much. I just see a bunch of cry babies screaming around when we finally got a great QB a d more studs at WR?

IMG_0036.jpeg

We have to win some ******* games

This is slurper territory but I’m actually shocked with how we’ve done recruiting and portaling. Could it be better? Well yeah no ****. I’m also not going to be a guy that goes “hey we are doing great guys!” because the actual team results are in shambles

I’ve seen some NIL struggles of teams that are legit playoff teams and all I can really speculate is that we need to stop making this **** so hard on ourselves by looking like clowns on Saturdays

Advertisement
All of this is thoughtful and cogent. Although the risk of coming up short thru half measures is real. The program is already in deep with big investments at QB and OL...those are sunk costs. Those investment may be wasted without elite talent at WR/RB. Same might be said (to a lesser degree) on defense. I believe Canes can win big in 2024. Recognizing the very real team chemistry concerns, now is not the time to be penny wise and pound foolish by overly constraining the NIL budget.

Question on the Canes Connection: How much of subscription costs go to the NIL pool? Say I buy $1000 sub...how much ends up in the players hands?
About the same as when the State Police calls looking for a donation…about 1% after the firm calling takes all their fees….😜

I get that second paragraph but again it boils my blood that Porter or Brown would react so negatively to competition they would jump in the portal.

There are enough reps for three NIL CBs. It’s foolish for them to think it’s about them. It’s about winning and they would benefit too. No one else on this roster is taking their spot so it’s either two guys for two spots or three guys for two spots. Three is better for everyone.

Sounds like a culture problem…

But that can’t be true 👀

Advertisement
Porter and Damari were solid and last season. Powell’s a massive upgrade over Davis at the nickel. If Kam and JWill adhered to the most basic principle of the safety position and kept the ball in front of them, we would have had nine wins last year EVEN WITH the knee and TVD going full Simple Jack for six weeks. If Guidry can at least have Harris/Riley/Patterson do that, we’ll be fine. Of course the DBs are getting torched in situationals and shells. Tranquilo.

Now solve Mario going full Simple Jack for 2 seasons…

Advertisement
Back