Spring Spring PractiSe 5: Thursday March 21

Because we aren’t talking about depth. We should be adding depth at corner and we will.

People are advocating for a frontline starter. I understand, and it may happen, but there are real-world tradeoffs and money considerations involved that are being ignored.

Also, Robby wasn’t getting reps at CB because of injuries. They are intrigued by his upside there and have been for a while (as I documented a year ago).

I get the money argument. But when you start telling me that Brown or Porter would leave if we brought in a sure fire starter that somewhat boils my blood. There are more than enough starter snaps to share across three people at CB where at least 2 are on the field at all times. We had 3 starters at 1 position -- RB -- last year. You would think Brown and Porter would welcome the competition so they get better and can rotate off the field if necessary. Besides, we've had injuries at CB pretty much every season. What do we do then?

Getting back to the budget, it's not my money, but objectively, the budget argument doesn't hold water IMHO. There are 5 needs, you named them all -- Tall WR, Big DT, everydown RB, press-man CB and cover safety. You get ballers at all those spots and you move the likelihood of a playoff spot from a toss-up to a 80/20. We could be a legit contender being respectfully spoken of in the same group of TOSU, Georgia et al. What is the marginal budget difference for those 5? 5%? Max max max 10%? As other posters note, this is being pennywise pound foolish given all the other investments Miami stakeholders have made. Win and that suck tax goes away, heck we may even be able to underpay the competition.

Advertisement
So Height is going to cost us nothing? I doubt that given the bs he pulled during signing. Even if its pennies, that can go to one of the positions we need more.
also if it's relative to position what is cheap for an edge can be considered solid/good pay for a RB....

Again if we have limited cap space, you don't open free agency by signing a guy that should be signed during the 4th wave.... if we're trying to use the nfl metaphor.
You clearly missed the 2nd part of my post where I said both 1 and 2 must be resolved before you consider Heights.

The only thing elevating his talk is HE IS OPENLY available now and has direct ties to Miami and is openly seeking a home.

D$ is just confirming what is openly out there because it is allowed to be out there. It doesn’t mean anything at this point.

Let the ducks fall where they may.

I get the money argument. But when you start telling me that Brown or Porter would leave if we brought in a sure fire starter that somewhat boils my blood. There are more than enough starter snaps to share across three people at CB where at least 2 are on the field at all times. We had 3 starters at 1 position -- RB -- last year. You would think Brown and Porter would welcome the competition so they get better and can rotate off the field if necessary. Besides, we've had injuries at CB pretty much every season. What do we do then?

Getting back to the budget, it's not my money, but objectively, the budget argument doesn't hold water IMHO. There are 5 needs, you named them all -- Tall WR, Big DT, everydown RB, press-man CB and cover safety. You get ballers at all those spots and you move the likelihood of a playoff spot from a toss-up to a 80/20. We could be a legit contender being respectfully spoken of in the same group of TOSU, Georgia et al. What is the marginal budget difference for those 5? 5%? Max max max 10%? As other posters note, this is being pennywise pound foolish given all the other investments Miami stakeholders have made. Win and that suck tax goes away, heck we may even be able to underpay the competition.
It’s not just $ at this point for real quality after spring ball. He already said CB depth would be addressed a CB#1 post portal isn’t just coming with a hefty price tag.

You’re saying the #1 spot is theirs at least when fall camp starts and he is saying UM believes they have their starters (whether I agree or not is different) but if you pay top end $ to lose one of those guys ; you’re in the same place beforehand whether WE like it or not.

Advertisement
It’s not just $ at this point for real quality after spring ball. He already said CB depth would be addressed a CB#1 post portal isn’t just coming with a hefty price tag.

You’re saying the #1 spot is theirs at least when fall camp starts and he is saying UM believes they have their starters (whether I agree or not is different) but if you pay top end $ to lose one of those guys ; you’re in the same place beforehand whether WE like it or not.

I get that second paragraph but again it boils my blood that Porter or Brown would react so negatively to competition they would jump in the portal.

There are enough reps for three NIL CBs. It’s foolish for them to think it’s about them. It’s about winning and they would benefit too. No one else on this roster is taking their spot so it’s either two guys for two spots or three guys for two spots. Three is better for everyone.

Looks like Chevis is about to really earn that paycheck…

Who would I bench…LOL. There isn’t a single player in the entire secondary that has a spot on lock at any Top 25 program, based on what they’ve currently done.

I am so sick of guys who have good potential but meh production holding a gun to the program’s head.

Go back and look at the thread, I was rocking with Poff as soon as I turned the film on.

Glad we ended up getting Ward too though, we flipped the room pretty nicely in one off-season.
Yup

It shows you they go by tape a lot not only rankings. Doing their due diligence, there will be misses that’s normal but I would be surprised if this kid doesn’t play above his name. An unknown and if he becomes known he’s playing well enough, guys like this u surround with talent and they do well in college.

Advertisement
Porter and Damari were solid and last season. Powell’s a massive upgrade over Davis at the nickel. If Kam and JWill adhered to the most basic principle of the safety position and kept the ball in front of them, we would have had nine wins last year EVEN WITH the knee and TVD going full Simple Jack for six weeks. If Guidry can at least have Harris/Riley/Patterson do that, we’ll be fine. Of course the DBs are getting torched in situationals and shells. Tranquilo.

Looks like Chevis is about to really earn that paycheck…

Who would I bench…LOL. There isn’t a single player in the entire secondary that has a spot on lock at any Top 25 program, based on what they’ve currently done.
Easy to play with fire when its not your *** that'd get burned.
Porter, Brown, and Richard will definitely be an above average starting ACC CB unit. I was 100% on the we need a portal CB train in the initial portal window, but now that we're in spring A) I don't expect any stud to be available B) Our NIL is likely near its limit for the year, and we have to prioritize more important areas.

Just is what it is right now. And I'd say at the moment, RB and Safety are bigger needs. Luckily those should be two positions where money can go further. WR I think we're just at the point we have to rely on development and the fact that we have a top Qb. We have talent at WR. They gotta step up at some point.

RB to me we need to go after the best guy we can. With Chaney and Parish gone, and Fletcher having a Lisfranc injury - I don't have too much faith in us helping him recover quickly without problems, and Citizin not being anything we should rely on.... It's probably A) our biggest need B) The easiest position to get an immediate plug and play contributor at C) relatively good value for money. ... luckily it's a position though where if we HAD to rely on Allen, Chris Johnson and Lyle, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I still think we need a CB, but at this point I agree with D$ that we need a younger guy with potential that hasn't proven himself as a starter quite yet that won't cost much. Safety, we may straight up still need a Starter since it appears Powell is primarily going to be nickel cb.

Also powell literally was a player on a top 4 team that had a spot locked up lol, so you're clearly wrong about that...

Last edited:
Cam will start because of the hype and the $$$ but Poff may just give him a run for his $$$.
20230823_003622.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
The difference is … there is no real price tag for Romello.

He needs Miami way more than we need him. D$ is saying the risk is limited there.

There is no real expense on the new NIL salary cap. If he gets beat by the freshmen cool/ if he keeps 2 freshmen from getting snaps it’s freshmen year, he’s gone anyways and you have to resell them anyway about next year’s development.

This would all be only relevant if 1. #’s workout correctly once you try for serious upgrades at other positions. 2. Another option with real interest/better production or potential doesn’t become available for the same price tag.
Exactly. You would be signing a depth piece at a minimal cost. Not blowing the budget.

Advertisement
Back