Official Spring PractiSe #3: Thursday 3/9

Advertisement
Those missing from practice today included running back TreVonte’ Citizen; wide receiver Michael Redding III; tight ends Elijah Arroyo, Dominic Mammarelli and Riley Williams; offensive linemen Jonathan Denis, Matthew McCoy and Nelson; defensive linemen Akheem Mesidor, Jahfari, Harvey, Leonard Taylor, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Thomas Davis and Collins Acheampong; linebackers Malik Bryant and Chase Smith; and safety James Williams.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-of-miami/article272894905.html#storylink=cpy

Why are we acting like the starting OL is set on the third day of spring practice
dancing-letter-letter-c.gif

letter-i.gif

letter-s.gif

I dont know the intricaies of OL but it seems like most need 2-3 years to really be great/ready.

Samson seems like a kid that may need a year or maybe even by the end of the year he gets caught up to the speed/size.

Francis is just downright impressive for his age/weight/agility etc. And you know those Samoans have grown man strength by now. I think it will be tough to keep him from first team.

I'm sorry but this makes me both angry and sad. We are so weak and thin at offensive tackle. Clearly poor recruiting/development with Washington and McLaughlin, as they were always considered projects, and have never taken the next step. Behind them... nothing.

So we're left with hoping a gimpy Zion Nelson can get and stay healthy, and that either a RS freshman (McCoy) or two true freshmen can go full-tilt as starters. I know Plan B and C are to find a unicorn in the portal who is starting OT caliber or kick out Rivers. But it's just disheartening to see how gapped we are once again headed into the season.

I know we've had true freshmen play tackle in the past (Winston, Fox, Henderson, Flowers, Donaldson). And I know these two freshmen have infinite potential. But it's completely unacceptable to be the Miami ******* Hurricanes and not have serviceable upperclass OTs.

Where you been the past 20 years?

Advertisement
I think Francis is a special case. Between the coaching he received at IMG, practicing against other 5 star players, and his god-given size, I would say he isn't the typical freshman OL
Guys like that aren't your typical TF. If our roster was like bama I would understand if they are playing. But our talent hasn't been up to par so seeing kids jump to first team is a good sign they aren't busts. I would be concerned if those kids didn't get first team reps. Means the evals were probably bad.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Anybody crying about the the O-line did y’all not watch this team last year. Not shocked Francis came in and took a job.

Also why did any of you think Zion would play? Get that out your heads till you see him on the field.

We might need another portal after spring. Mario will do everything to get this unit corrected

Lesser talented/skilled/sized players can "overachieve" IF they can play together like fingers on a hand.

They pull together, instinctively know the men next to them, and work as one - we'll be fine.

Those missing from practice today included running back TreVonte’ Citizen; wide receiver Michael Redding III; tight ends Elijah Arroyo, Dominic Mammarelli and Riley Williams; offensive linemen Jonathan Denis, Matthew McCoy and Nelson; defensive linemen Akheem Mesidor, Jahfari, Harvey, Leonard Taylor, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Thomas Davis and Collins Acheampong; linebackers Malik Bryant and Chase Smith; and safety James Williams.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-of-miami/article272894905.html#storylink=cpy

S&C issue?

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Advertisement
I also believe Cohen would make a good RT, but seems like he wants to play LG. A healthy Zion would change things obviously, but I'm still not holding my breath with the uncertainty of his knee. The think ideally you'd want the following if Zion is there and 100%

LT - Zion
LG - Cohen
C - Lee
RG - Cooper
RT - Rivers
I think one of the freshman will end up starting with Zion. I think it's going to come down to cooper or rivers for that final RG spot. Obviously this is based of if Zion returns like the player he was in 2020.

Advertisement
Back