Spring PractiSe #3 : Media today: Kevin Steele, Al Blades Jr., James Williams and DJ Ivey

4 of those guys you named are effectively linebackers though which is funny šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ kam had the best ball skills out of this bunch but all box safeties

Ok? And? That's a traditional strong safety role.

They aren't "effectively" linebackers. They're Strong Safeties.

Name a strong safety with excellent coverage skills? Maybe Polamalu.

JW is a SS to me. Let him play the Kam role. He would eat.

Advertisement
When Lubick left after the 91 season (IIRC) that was when Erickson's staff staff started to erode. He came to UM with a pretty good staff that had a lot of guys who moved onto the NFL and other really good jobs in college. But after awhile it became a bunch of his cronies and things started to fall apart

The job Sonny did at CSU was great. He was the rebirth of that program...
He was there through '92. The defense that held the **** program together while the OL completely chit the bed btwn injuries and not replacing the graduates from '91. I talked to Kehoe once about Carlos Etheredge playing OT that year which was a fun convo!

Erickson missed on too many OL and DT's in that era. I feel like they had two DT's in that '95 OB game vs Nebraska. Sapp played til he died. Everyone else hit the meat grinder.

Truth be told 8 not even the worse CB on the roster. Thereā€™s CIS/fan fav who ppl wanted to start over him whose been far worse since 2020 UNC..Iā€™m not gunna say names but yā€™all know exactly who Iā€™m talking about. Hope both guys bounce back. We need that whole group engaged
This is true.

Because Thad is bigger and the better athlete of the two. The reason Brown was ahead of him last year is because Brown is intelligent as fucc, a very hard worker and always available (as in not injured). Kid is built like a tank. Unfortunately heā€™s about as fast as one, too. I do agree with your post. Heā€™s gonna be a tough out.
Yea this is what I was getting at. Kid is going to continue to be in shap, be ready to go, and work hard....thats all you can ask for the powerful back to compete with THAD. Need a big kid to always push him so he is not complacent. I see Brown being good for that for 2 years...and especially since Chaney is fragile, and Parrish and Rooster are small.

Brown has until next spring to make a move in my opinion.

Advertisement
Did u all catch the part where SMD must have bumped into him and heā€™s like ā€œSusan!ā€ pauseā€¦ ā€œGod **** Susanā€

Hilarious
@ 915- 932 mark you can see a Prop Joe kid behind DJ IVEY.

Kid was there with his dad, and me and his dad coached him along with DVD in youth ball. Kid is already taller than his dad and will be at worst a 4 star recruit at db. Canes obviously have the inside track, Michigan is in there to.

He was there through '92. The defense that held the **** program together while the OL completely chit the bed btwn injuries and not replacing the graduates from '91. I talked to Kehoe once about Carlos Etheredge playing OT that year which was a fun convo!

Erickson missed on too many OL and DT's in that era. I feel like they had two DT's in that '95 OB game vs Nebraska. Sapp played til he died. Everyone else hit the meat grinder.

whats interesting is that Etheredge and Kipp Vickers(who was converted from DT) actually spent some time in the NFL

But yeah, Erickson's recruiting was basically for every Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp, there would be like 20 other guys who just couldn't cut it. I actually did recruiting break downs of his classes for Grassy waaaaay back when. They were comically bad some of those classes.

You could see the decline in talent at the end of blowouts when these guys would come in -- and yeah, it wasn't like the late 80's when you knew guys like Darrin Smith, Darryl Williams, etc were going to be players.

As for the 95 Orange Bowl, the injury to Pat Riley really hurt. He was a solid guy next to Sapp

I was actually told Erickson was banned from one prominent high school in Miami because he showed up drunk one time

Ok? And? That's a traditional strong safety role.

They aren't "effectively" linebackers. They're Strong Safeties.

Name a strong safety with excellent coverage skills? Maybe Polamalu.

JW is a SS to me. Let him play the Kam role. He would eat.
Budda baker, tyrann mathieu, Jordan poyer, Harrison smith..John Johnson.. etc all are strong safeties and are good in coverage. It just so happened the players you named play more of a linebacker role is what theyā€™re asked to do then the guys I mentioned. Granted you can flip the honey badgers designation based upon who heā€™s playing with same with poyer but strong is where they excel

whats interesting is that Etheredge and Kipp Vickers(who was converted from DT) actually spent some time in the NFL

But yeah, Erickson's recruiting was basically for every Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp, there would be like 20 other guys who just couldn't cut it. I actually did recruiting break downs of his classes for Grassy waaaaay back when. They were comically bad some of those classes.

You could see the decline in talent at the end of blowouts when these guys would come in -- and yeah, it wasn't like the late 80's when you knew guys like Darrin Smith, Darryl Williams, etc were going to be players.

As for the 95 Orange Bowl, the injury to Pat Riley really hurt. He was a solid guy next to Sapp

I was actually told Erickson was banned from one prominent high school in Miami because he showed up drunk one time
I remember both players well. Talented guys to say the least.

And he obviously had a problem, I hope he's doing better now. Feel for him that he had it all but couldn't find happiness in it.

Advertisement
People are evaluating our talent based on last year's coaching and schemes along with the eye test compared to dominant teams they want us to be like.

You have been in many threads emphasizing that our staff needs time to evaluate the players on the roster properly and observe how they can contribute to their philosophies and eventual schemes and game plans. That does seem to align itself with what Steele said yesterday about how what happened last year is essentially meaningless to what they are doing now.

However, I also can see why people think we need better players in certain positions and more depth because most fans want us to not only go to a possible ACC championship but do much more in 2022.
The Portal has been mostly good to us over the last three seasons.
I understand and agree with what you're saying.
However, a lot of fans just want instant gratification of a known commodity. As soon as one of our top players graduates/goes to the NFL, they immediately want someone from the Portal as a replacement who has experience.

In my opinion, the Portal should be used when our body count is low, the talent depth is substandard, or an elite player is available. I just don't care for the fans wanting to hit the Portal based on their perception of our roster talent. Thankfully, the coaches don't approach the Portal the way fans do.

We have blue chip players. We have some elite coaches. They need development and opportunities.

Yea this is what I was getting at. Kid is going to continue to be in shap, be ready to go, and work hard....thats all you can ask for the powerful back to compete with THAD. Need a big kid to always push him so he is not complacent. I see Brown being good for that for 2 years...and especially since Chaney is fragile, and Parrish and Rooster are small.

Brown has until next spring to make a move in my opinion.
Facts!

I understand and agree with what you're saying.
However, a lot of fans just want instant gratification of a known commodity. As soon as one of our top players graduates/goes to the NFL, they immediately want someone from the Portal as a replacement who has experience.

In my opinion, the Portal should be used when our body count is low, the talent depth is substandard, or an elite player is available. I just don't care for the fans wanting to hit the Portal based on their perception of our roster talent. Thankfully, the coaches don't approach the Portal the way fans do.

We have blue chip players. We have some elite coaches. They need development and opportunities.
It does seem like a lot of people around here like to throw around the "JAG" labels and move on to the next shiny thing from the grass on the other side.

But on the other hand there are rumors of a lot of players wanting to come to Miami via the Portal and if they can contribute then great. DMoney and others have said up to 8 players may come in.

Competition is good. Let the best man win.

only one? that would be shocking

Advertisement

Riley tore his ACL last game of regular season...Lang and Holmes were banged up as well....I've always maintained that if our DL was at 100%....We Win that game.

Riley tore his ACL last game of regular season...Lang and Holmes were banged up as well....I've always maintained that if our DL was at 100%....We Win that game.
Here's another question- why the **** were the OL and DL's at Miami so beat up from 92-94, especially 93-94, and then I see Brad Roll left for the Bucs after 92.

Advertisement
Here's another question- why the **** were the OL and DL's at Miami so beat up from 92-94, especially 93-94, and then I see Brad Roll left for the Bucs after 92.
Ericksons recruiting was toilet water, especially OL and QB 92 onward. He was a notoriously lazy recruiter to begin with. Our DL in 94 was no joke...(When healthy) When Riley tore his ACL, and Holmes and Lang banged up....I knew we'd be in trouble against Nebraska, regardless of Sapp. That fullback dive (slessinger) killed us in the 4th quarter.

Ericksons recruiting was toilet water, especially OL and QB 92 onward. He was a notoriously lazy recruiter to begin with. Our DL in 94 was no joke...(When healthy) When Riley tore his ACL, and Holmes and Lang banged up....I knew we'd be in trouble against Nebraska, regardless of Sapp. That fullback dive (slessinger) killed us in the 4th quarter.
They ran trap and kicked out Sapp. Sapp went around it instead of wrong arming and that's what a trap loves, to go wide vs it instead of under it. Did the G's job for him

The offense did us know favors that game either. We had no running game. And we ran the same 5 plays after we went up 13-3. Dennis wanted the defense to win it for him but they were absolutely gassed in that 4th quarter. They had nothing left in the tank. It was open season for an option running team to go up against a front 7 that was absolutely exhausted. That was a really tough loss. It was a slow death. Smh.

Sometimes I hate it when we go back down memory lane. lol

Advertisement
Back