Spring Spring PractiSe #2

Advertisement
forgive me if this was answered earlier. does the owner of Raising Canes have any connection to the U?

No.

Todd Graves (born 1972) is an American entrepreneur and founder of Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers, a fast food restaurant company that specializes in fried chicken finger meals. Graves, along with Craig Silvey, founded the first restaurant in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1996.

Graves and long time friend Craig Silvey used Silvey's business plan course at LSU to test their business plan. The project received a B- in the class, and the professor commented that a chicken-fingers-only business could never succeed. The two were unable to persuade bankers to fund the restaurant idea. So Graves worked at a refinery in California and then joined Silvey as a salmon fisherman in Alaska to raise money to open the first restaurant.

The restaurants are named after Graves' dog. They are headquartered in Baton Rouge.

I'm not wrong when I say that none of those chicken places have locations in south Florida, right? I've never seen a raisin' canes, zaxby's or culver's. Only reason I even know what those places are is because they advertise on the ACC network with the irish potato guy.
Culver's in Jupiter and Stuart and Zaxby's is in Stuart.

No.

Todd Graves (born 1972) is an American entrepreneur and founder of Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers, a fast food restaurant company that specializes in fried chicken finger meals. Graves, along with Craig Silvey, founded the first restaurant in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1996.

Graves and long time friend Craig Silvey used Silvey's business plan course at LSU to test their business plan. The project received a B- in the class, and the professor commented that a chicken-fingers-only business could never succeed. The two were unable to persuade bankers to fund the restaurant idea. So Graves worked at a refinery in California and then joined Silvey as a salmon fisherman in Alaska to raise money to open the first restaurant.

The restaurants are named after Graves' dog. They are headquartered in Baton Rouge.
the professor said it would never succeed. I am generally a supporter of higher education but if business professors knew so much about business they probably would have their own successful companies and not be teaching how not to succeed in business.

Advertisement
the professor said it would never succeed. I am generally a supporter of higher education but if business professors knew so much about business they probably would have their own successful companies and not be teaching how not to succeed in business.

Relevant points. However, I would point out that a similar project that I did at UM Business School in 1989 or 1990 (my project/presentation group of 4 included two very well known UM football players at that time) received an A grade, and it involved building a high-end storage facility in Dade County, one that people could use to store expensive cars and boats, in addition to "traditional" storage units.

Jaylen Harrell eats.

1646956824816.png

Advertisement
About an hour outside of Boston lol We don't have no Raisin Canes, No Bojangles, No Zaxby's, No Church's, No Wawa's, No Kwik Trips, No Sheetz, No Cookouts, No Pollo Locos, No In-N-Outs, no nothing damnit lol
He lives in **** and it has a terrible accent too 🤣

The CEO is a Cane alum (Jose).
I know Jose (ex-McD's) and the brand very well. Bojangles has historically struggled outside the southeast and mid-Atlantic. They enjoy a very strong breakfast day part, but haven't been able to leverage that business and grow elsewhere. El Pollo Loco is similar. They are very strong in Southern California, but continue to struggle elsewhere.

Raising 'Canes, Zaxby's and Slim Chickens (in that order) are all very hot brands right now as the popularity of tenders and boneless chicken continues to increase, while bone-in chicken is on the decline.

Advertisement
About an hour outside of Boston lol We don't have no Raisin Canes, No Bojangles, No Zaxby's, No Church's, No Wawa's, No Kwik Trips, No Sheetz, No Cookouts, No Pollo Locos, No In-N-Outs, no nothing damnit lol
Breh…😳!!! My fat *** would be miserable as fucc, there. I’d be in this bytch like….
1646971456049.gif

Advertisement
That s not really true. For instance one of Miamis intro to finance professors(I forget his name and he probably taught other classes as well) was a very successful finance guy. Once he mad his money he retired and came down to Miami to teach. He told me his whole story after class one day, I forget exactly what it was, but he gets some sort of benefit from being a teacher at Miami. So he teaches courses every couple of semesters(he was telling me this 12 years ago so I am probably mixing up some facts). There also are tons of teachers like this at the elite Ivys, stanford, etc. Now Graves I believe went to UGA, so most likely their business professors don't know schit. But schools that have respectable business schools have plenty of professors that know what they are doing and if they wanted to, could have started up successful businesses. Lots of people just don't want to put in the time to create a startup. It isn't for everyone.

I'm not wrong when I say that none of those chicken places have locations in south Florida, right? I've never seen a raisin' canes, zaxby's or culver's. Only reason I even know what those places are is because they advertise on the ACC network with the irish potato guy.
There's two Zaxby's in WPB and one in Greenacres.

What state only has 2 Chick Fil-As? Rhode Island?

Sorry to hear. There are a ton of chicken places (of all types) going up in Central Florida. Went to Chicken Guy about a week ago now that the lines have died down (Guy Fieri's place), it wasn't bad, particularly if you are a "sauces" person.

There's another tiny place that just opened in Winter Park called JAM Hot Chicken, it was amazing.

A Jollibee is opening by UCF, and then these places are just about to pop:
View attachment 179391
View attachment 179392
View attachment 179393

Take a vacation to Florida and just eat chicken for a week or two.

On a separate note, if this brick-and-mortar spot was open this weekend, I'd see if @SWFLHurricane wanted to try it (I've had the food truck version):
View attachment 179394
I deserve a lifetime achievement award of fried chickens.

Advertisement
Back