Spring Spring PractiSe 15: Spring Game!!!!!!!

You’ve read my comments on this via the private group chat. TVD sometimes holds the ball a tick longer than I’m sure coaches want. Let’s see how he improves that and his mobility within the pocket.
I hope Rosier presses this with him. Sometimes the guys who don’t have the natural gifts are excellent at provide technical guidance

Advertisement
Frankenstein is a problem for this oline.
Hopefully for others as well.
1650166443570.jpeg

Honestly, where was Wesley Bissainthe?

I'm wondering the same.

He's a well rounded kid for being a freshman. He seems well beyond his years in terms of maturity. I think he's owning his role in a great way.

But if we're being cautious and protecting his health, that's cool too.

but you don't mean exclusively, correct?

we were coached on reading the safeties (obviously), but then also, for example, reading the "arc" ... (e.g., the relationship/line between a corner on playside first read progression receiver to the nearest LB or nickel), then working through pressure reads from the box, etc.

can you clarify?
Agree.
I was always taught that the first look is the Safeties. It's harder for them to lie (without losing leverage).

We press our CB's in man, cover-3, cover-4, etc.
They lie a lot.

Advertisement
1 and gone most likely. I’m sure Mario knows this and already had a list of OC’s he will go after next year
Guess you think Ponce is a coincidence? The search will be for who he's grooming. I'd say we got 2 years maybe 3 of gattis. Really don't see him just settling for whatever head job. He's gonna want something relevant and those don't come open often...

Spring games are Spring games, but real games are real games.

If they use him as a Nickel he can do well in spots, but we’ll see.
me personally i like clarke and DP Jr moe than Couch ...though he looked better today.

I like Clarke more so because he has better ball skills. Clarke can turn plays for us honestly. Lets see what shakes out after spring there.

DP Jr is a technician as well. I think this cb group is one step away from being the better int he conference.

I told everyone i liked Dunson skill set...and here you get to see it...they had faith last year and had him play a bit of safety...His lengthis a problem when he i saloowed to press and play against the bigger wrs.

The group is getting back right.

Advertisement
Some kids are just football players, regardless of size.. we’ve all grown up and seen those dudes.

Moss and Davis are those dudes on this team.

Yeah I know they aren’t prototypical 5 stars, but those guys can play and the coaches are excited about them.

Flagg doesn’t seem to be developing, but these two young guys are dogs. Don’t count them out or panic because they won a rep.
Of course Gattis called the spring game vanilla but he also had a responsibility to make sure the offensive players don’t get dominated and the fans get a show. Whenever the defense stringed together a couple great stops and plays, Gattis would call something that sent them spinning and directly countered whatever successful calls Steele was making.

Gattis was as vanilla as the defense allowed him to be. Whenever challenged, he responded with a adjustment that immediately worked.

Gattis didn’t show his offense but he did show he knows how to adjust on the fly, during a drive and not just at halftime.

If teams stop our TE crossing routes, RB check downs etc…he is gonna respond accordingly no matter what he calls (terminology) his offense or what he previously ran in the past.

This is what has me excited.

I LOVE that he is up in the box. Lashlee and Enos took too long too see what the defense was doing and get us in the right play.

Most people don’t understand how important coaching is. We were a 7-5 team last year because we were poor at creating and exploiting leverage on BOTH sides of the ball. It’s literally the difference between 7 wins and a bunch of struggle and 10 wins with some more convincing victories.

Setting your players up with predictability and poor leverage exacerbates talent issues. This is one of the things guru coaches use to make their guys productive at and beyond their talent level.

Gattis is a master of using your alignment against you. If you don’t completely overwhelm his guys physically, he is going to kick your ***.

Guess you think Ponce is a coincidence? The search will be for who he's grooming. I'd say we got 2 years maybe 3 of gattis. Really don't see him just settling for whatever head job. He's gonna want something relevant and those don't come open often...
He was going to take the UVA job if Elliot turned it down. I agree though it’s going to take the right fit for him to leave, For instance I don’t see him taking the GT job when it opens up this year.

me personally i like clarke and DP Jr moe than Couch ...though he looked better today.

I like Clarke more so because he has better ball skills. Clarke can turn plays for us honestly. Lets see what shakes out after spring there.

DP Jr is a technician as well. I think this cb group is one step away from being the better int he conference.

I told everyone i liked Dunson skill set...and here you get to see it...they had faith last year and had him play a bit of safety...His lengthis a problem when he i saloowed to press and play against the bigger wrs.

The group is getting back right.
I think Porter Jr can be really good for us at Nickel, but if they have sub-packages with Couch at Nickel as well I’m good with that too. But Porter primarily played Boundary at West VA so it will be interesting to see how they manage the CB room because we legit have 4 playable CB’s coming in with already having 4 right now in Spring. I assume someone from that group will hit the Portal.

I liked Dunson coming out of HS as a late add in the 2020 class, his biggest issue was raw speed, he was pretty slow, but once he put on some weight & further developed the technical aspect of his game he makes up for his lack of pure speed with sound technique & physicality. He played really nice today & had excellent coverage in the Red Zone vs Ladson, I think he should be the starter at Boundary.

I didn’t wanna say anything because it would look like I’m picking on him, but Ivey did get beat early on on those 2 deep balls from TVD to George & the deep pass to Key Smith as well that he dropped, but he did do a good job slowing down Ladson, so I guess with a low bar that’s good lol We’ll see what happens in September...

But the CB group is on it’s way back to repair once Tyrique Stevenson, Jaden Harris, Daryl Porter Jr & Chris Graves get on campus & get in the mix of the competition in Fall camp. I’m not expecting any of the young corners to play much, but out of that group I think Harris has the best chance to get at least 2nd team reps.

Al Jr looks like he’s back in good physical form like he was in 2019 & the first half of 2020 before he caught Bioweapon-19... I think his position will just be DB, meaning he’ll play Boundary, Field, Nickel & Safety in certain packages, they’ll just have him in the backfield to throw exotic looks for the Secondary.

But between the CB’s & Safeties the DB group has as much Depth as it had in 2017.

Simple offense we need longer plays in the playbook or it will be a long season.
Longer plays in the playbook?! WTAF are you talking about, mane? Have you been drinking? What does that even mean? Longer plays?…… Are you talking about taking more deep shots? You realize that there were plenty of deep shots attempted for a Spring game, right? Do you also realize that in a Spring game, a OC/DC is gonna call a vanilla game. They don’t wanna show everything to future opponents. Longer plays… Bruh!!! Sometimes a play was called and the deep shot was covered, so the QBs took the underneath throw, or check down. Sometimes we threw it deep, but we either threw it late, the WRs missed played the ball, or simply couldn’t adjust to it. So I don’t understand this longer play bull****. Care to explain… or are u just trolling like a muhfucca?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lies man I understand you don’t like the man but that is just false
I grew up a Mike Rumph fan. I have nothing against him.

Paul Williams left us and has consistently got gigs as a cb coach. Current Wake Forest CB coach. Yea he looks like a pedo and was weird..but he still gets db coaching gigs lol

Rumph would be coaching high school ball right now.
I like the position he is right now on staff...it allows him to work on his short comings in recruiting. He will be a better db coach for it.

Advertisement
I think Porter Jr can be really good for us at Nickel, but if they have sub-packages with Couch at Nickel as well I’m good with that too. But Porter primarily played Boundary at West VA so it will be interesting to see how they manage the CB room because we legit have 4 playable CB’s coming in with already having 4 right now in Spring. I assume someone from that group will hit the Portal.

I liked Dunson coming out of HS as a late add in the 2020 class, his biggest issue was raw speed, he was pretty slow, but once he put on some weight & further developed the technical aspect of his game he makes up for his lack of pure speed with sound technique & physicality. He played really nice today & had excellent coverage in the Red Zone vs Ladson, I think he should be the starter at Boundary.

I didn’t wanna say anything because it would look like I’m picking on him, but Ivey did get beat early on on those 2 deep balls from TVD to George & the deep pass to Key Smith as well that he dropped, but he did do a good job slowing down Ladson, so I guess with a low bar that’s good lol We’ll see what happens in September...

But the CB group is on it’s way back to repair once Tyrique Stevenson, Jaden Harris, Daryl Porter Jr & Chris Graves get on campus & get in the mix of the competition in Fall camp. I’m not expecting any of the young corners to play much, but out of that group I think Harris has the best chance to get at least 2nd team reps.

Al Jr looks like he’s back in good physical form like he was in 2019 & the first half of 2020 before he caught Bioweapon-19... I think his position will just be DB, meaning he’ll play Boundary, Field, Nickel & Safety in certain packages, they’ll just have him in the backfield to throw exotic looks for the Secondary.

But between the CB’s & Safeties the DB group has as much Depth as it had in 2017.

Yea DP Jr was mainly outside but i think he can snatch the nickel too. He is bigger than both guys there too. I also agree i wouldnt be shock to see 1 cb hit the portal. Graves and Harris are coming in looking like 2nd year players. **** even walk on Mooyoung looks like he belongs.

Dunson looked real real good...pairing him and Stevenson, Blades is scary length and size. if allowed to press. I didnt even mention Ivey.

Anyone getting the vibe that Mario protects players injuries akin to... radio?... (we're a private Uni & all..)

Idk who is behind it, but I think it's working in Miami's favor that we're not overly publicizing the injuries. We were missing so many talented players today.

In other news, TVD and Avantae Williams both looked to have gained muscle mass in great way. TVD seems more sturdy. Avantae is more of a demon.

We obviously have to do a better job of making contested catches, but some of the WR issues can be attributed to a new philosophy of coverage.

WR's aren't comfortable versus this defense.
It's not WR friendly.
A lot of contact from defenders.
Contested throws.
Smaller windows.
Believe it or not, some of that **** affects the psyche of a WR.

I think you guys are undervaluing how improved our DB unit is.
If the WR's balled out we'd all be worried about our secondary.

With that being said...
There definitely was some throws that our WR's should have came down with. Ladson has to snatch that ball in the endzone. He's got to play bigger. We definitely need a burner at WR...but our last staff like to let those kids get out of our backyard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We lack depth on defense but I believe we have some nice pieces, particularly when everybody comes back.
Tae, Chase, Stevenson, Keontra, Williams, Kinchens, Taylor, JHH... That's some good athleticism on defense. I believe Tae is a freak. Possibly a first-round talent. Chase Smith is also a freak.

It would be really nice to have a 315lb Alton Tarber at DT right now. Good job Manny. 🙄

Our QB, TE and RB rooms are really exciting.
IMO Thad isn't the guy some of y'all think he is, but he serves a valuable role. We know what we're getting in Rooster, hopefully coach Williams has worked on his patience. We're getting a stud in Citizen. Parrish is a quality running back with great feet who can help catch out of the backfield. I'm not holding my breath on Chaney.

The irony of this roster is that the main pieces we're missing, are kids that Manny passed up on. Imagine this defense with Dorlus and Tarber. Or this WR unit with Zay Flowers. (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some kids)
I know hindsight is 20/20 and us local guys do this often on here, but it is what it is. Just so happens that our glaring weaknesses are positions where our local recruiting was absolutely clueless.

Overall a good spring. I believe you can already see a better product on the field. Lots to look forward to.
Why you not holding your breath on Chaney?

The offense is different & the WR’s have inconsistent hands.

TVD’s strong suit is stretching the field with deep route combinations & this offense isn’t centered around the deep ball.

The primary focus is the middle of the field with crossing patterns & attacking the flats with the RB’s.

The WR’s will have to work a lot harder to get open in this offense because the route concepts are a lot different.

It’s not that TVD starts slow IMO, it’s just a matter of understanding the philosophy of what the plan of attack will be.

He’ll have to adjust to the difference from being a perimeter heavy passing attack to be being more comfortable with taking the underneath routes & checkdowns. In last year’s offense his first read on most plays was to the outside, in this system it will be the Y, E, F, H, A & B & then X & Z.
You couldn’t have said it better bro, gattis will have good gameplans on how to attack teams week by week…but if its not a go ball,curl,slant,hitch the outside receivers are almost always the last progression or a decoy, he isn’t creative for explosive plays down field like he is for RPOs/Quick Game…. Bet on Arroyo, X/Brashard and Parrish/Rooster.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back