Spring Spring PractiSe 15: Spring Game!!!!!!!

Advertisement
The team definitely has a lot of holes for sure. OL looked pretty solid but it was against a bottom of the ACC level DL. DBs looked good against a very mediocre group of receivers. I think at CB we’ll be more than fine with Stevenson, Ivey, Blades, Dunson, Couch, and Porter once he gets here. That’s a very experienced group with some talented players and doesn’t even include the freshman. The safeties are also going to be a very strong group although young. LB and DL is going to be the weak part of the team. Maybe they can get a pretty good LB like Mikel Jones but someone like Flagg should never see the field here. The DL is just very small and I fully expect them to get run on against more physical ACC teams. I like Lichtenstein but the guy should not be a starter. He should be a rotational piece on pass-rushing downs. Not big enough to hold up against the run. I like Mesidor(assuming we land him) but he’s another tweener type who won’t hold up against the run inside. Do we really trust Jordan Miller to be a starter? Taylor seems to be still too inconsistent. JHH is another smaller DT type who will get run through. I think the pass-rush could get much better once we get those guys in/back and assuming we land Mesidor but I worry about this front 7 against the run.

Offensively, Mims is obviously the big fish. He’s an upgrade over Scaife at RT and instantly brings more physicality to the OL. Despite him getting beat a couple times today, Zion will be the guy at LT and let’s not act like he hasn’t played pretty well in the past. Rivers and Clark definitely seem to have a lock at LG and C. RG could be a battle(assuming we land Mims) between Scaife and Sagapolu. I think the OL should be much better this season because they’re finally going to be coached well and they looked much more organized today(like they knew who to block). TE group is arguably the best group on the team. RB will be more than fine once Citizen gets here and Chaney and Knighton are back. WR is biggest need on offense IMO. X is going to be pretty good in the slot especially if he can clean up the drops but I’m definitely worried about the outside receivers. Are we expecting Brinson to come back and be a #1? I don’t see consistent seperation by anyone. Need to be going all out in the portal for receivers starting with Harrell. At least we know he can take the top off the defense.

A lot of positives from the spring game and obviously this team isn’t close to a natty yet but they should be competing for a ACC Championship game appearance.

Last edited:
We obviously have to do a better job of making contested catches, but some of the WR issues can be attributed to a new philosophy of coverage.

WR's aren't comfortable versus this defense.
It's not WR friendly.
A lot of contact from defenders.
Contested throws.
Smaller windows.
Believe it or not, some of that **** affects the psyche of a WR.

I think you guys are undervaluing how improved our DB unit is.
If the WR's balled out we'd all be worried about our secondary.

With that being said...
There definitely was some throws that our WR's should have came down with. Ladson has to snatch that ball in the endzone. He's got to play bigger. We definitely need a burner at WR...but our last staff like to let those kids get out of our backyard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We lack depth on defense but I believe we have some nice pieces, particularly when everybody comes back.
Tae, Chase, Stevenson, Keontra, Williams, Kinchens, Taylor, JHH... That's some good athleticism on defense. I believe Tae is a freak. Possibly a first-round talent. Chase Smith is also a freak.

It would be really nice to have a 315lb Alton Tarber at DT right now. Good job Manny. 🙄

Our QB, TE and RB rooms are really exciting.
IMO Thad isn't the guy some of y'all think he is, but he serves a valuable role. We know what we're getting in Rooster, hopefully coach Williams has worked on his patience. We're getting a stud in Citizen. Parrish is a quality running back with great feet who can help catch out of the backfield. I'm not holding my breath on Chaney.

The irony of this roster is that the main pieces we're missing, are kids that Manny passed up on. Imagine this defense with Dorlus and Tarber. Or this WR unit with Zay Flowers. (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some kids)
I know hindsight is 20/20 and us local guys do this often on here, but it is what it is. Just so happens that our glaring weaknesses are positions where our local recruiting was absolutely clueless.

Overall a good spring. I believe you can already see a better product on the field. Lots to look forward to.

Advertisement
Mario said in a post game interview that Cyrus Moss came in at 199 pounds. He then said Moss is currently 215ish.

Wow. That man was skinny skinny.
Wasn’t Brian burns 220 his freshman year ?
That’s the kind of of freshman impact I’m hoping for

Wasn’t Brian burns 220 his freshman year ?
That’s the kind of of freshman impact I’m hoping for

He was. He was shorter, so he was more stout as well compared to Moss.

Moss has a lot of competition that is more senior that him, so if everyone stays healthy, Moss might not get that much playing time. But if injuries set in and he's forced to play a lot of snaps, Moss could probably produce Freshman AA numbers.

Advertisement
still saw too many guys that I dont think will ever play at UM, and were reaches as recruits. Still another recruiting class or two away in my view

Which is precisely why there will be heavy roster turnover from here till the beginning of fall camp...

Say what you want about Al Golden but he left Richt and Manny some talent

Richt and Manny left Mario with a lot of ****

Your CB's can be pressed in ANY coverage scheme. It doesn't give away anything.
QB is reading the Safeties anyway.
but you don't mean exclusively, correct?

we were coached on reading the safeties (obviously), but then also, for example, reading the "arc" ... (e.g., the relationship/line between a corner on playside first read progression receiver to the nearest LB or nickel), then working through pressure reads from the box, etc.

can you clarify?

OL being more physical stood out on the first watch you can tell that’s is something Mario preaches. I watched BAMA spring game, they have to have a 3rd string DT that wants more playing time. It’s crazy how small we are in the middle of the defense. DT is a grown man’s position and I like LT but he needs to get stronger cause he will be getting hit with double teams all season. Our front 7 issues will only be solved by recruiting the type of players we want aren’t in the portal. Was very surprised how good are corners looked. I can’t wait too see how Steele uses The Williams and Kam on the field at the same time.

Advertisement
We obviously have to do a better job of making contested catches, but some of the WR issues can be attributed to a new philosophy of coverage.

WR's aren't comfortable versus this defense.
It's not WR friendly.
A lot of contact from defenders.
Contested throws.
Smaller windows.
Believe it or not, some of that **** affects the psyche of a WR.

I think you guys are undervaluing how improved our DB unit is.
If the WR's balled out we'd all be worried about our secondary.

With that being said...
There definitely was some throws that our WR's should have came down with. Ladson has to snatch that ball in the endzone. He's got to play bigger. We definitely need a burner at WR...but our last staff like to let those kids get out of our backyard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We lack depth on defense but I believe we have some nice pieces, particularly when everybody comes back.
Tae, Chase, Stevenson, Keontra, Williams, Kinchens, Taylor, JHH... That's some good athleticism on defense. I believe Tae is a freak. Possibly a first-round talent. Chase Smith is also a freak.

It would be really nice to have a 315lb Alton Tarber at DT right now. Good job Manny. 🙄

Our QB, TE and RB rooms are really exciting.
IMO Thad isn't the guy some of y'all think he is, but he serves a valuable role. We know what we're getting in Rooster, hopefully coach Williams has worked on his patience. We're getting a stud in Citizen. Parrish is a quality running back with great feet who can help catch out of the backfield. I'm not holding my breath on Chaney.

The irony of this roster is that the main pieces we're missing, are kids that Manny passed up on. Imagine this defense with Dorlus and Tarber. Or this WR unit with Zay Flowers. (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some kids)
I know hindsight is 20/20 and us local guys do this often on here, but it is what it is. Just so happens that our glaring weaknesses are positions where our local recruiting was absolutely clueless.

Overall a good spring. I believe you can already see a better product on the field. Lots to look forward to.
Overall team speed is slow and we for some reason havent valued speed in a long while.. You can see it as our drives were long and really no explosive plays outside. That should change with Gattis as he has high emphasis on speed but it was neglected here for awhile.. I watched some other spring games that @Liberty City El posted in that thread and every team atleast had a couple plays.. we didnt even seem to try to take shots outside of maybe TE.. We gonna dink or dunk down field this year? Doubt it but we need some burners man, this is MIAMI!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back