Spring Spring PractiSe 15: Spring Game!!!!!!!

Simple offense we need longer plays in the playbook or it will be a long season.

Maybe you can dip into your leather bound attack plan from the Norman conquest, and mount your trusty steed and gallop forthwith to the OC and bequeath upon him some plays henceforth, ye bold knight.

Advertisement
Seems like a pretty easy way to show the offense what you are running lol.
Ok what would be their counter move? And whatever it would be is not even the point. Ivey is not serviceable if he isn’t putting his hands on opposing WRs. If it’s not working out or being countered successfully then he must come out the game, that’s my point.

Advertisement
Screenshot_20220416-164418_Chrome.jpg

Here’s my thing- we had three guys with juice last year, and all of them had a ton of 1-yard gains and losses. Thad will get you no less than 3 every time and hit a couple chunk runs when defenses get tired.

If he loses a few pounds, he’s a 1K back imo.

I already know we’re going to see him in short yardage situations, especially in the red zone.

Of course Gattis called the spring game vanilla but he also had a responsibility to make sure the offensive players don’t get dominated and the fans get a show. Whenever the defense stringed together a couple great stops and plays, Gattis would call something that sent them spinning and directly countered whatever successful calls Steele was making.

Gattis was as vanilla as the defense allowed him to be. Whenever challenged, he responded with a adjustment that immediately worked.

Gattis didn’t show his offense but he did show he knows how to adjust on the fly, during a drive and not just at halftime.

If teams stop our TE crossing routes, RB check downs etc…he is gonna respond accordingly no matter what he calls (terminology) his offense or what he previously ran in the past.

Advertisement
In part, I think they should adjust to his strengths. When Likens supposedly put his touch on last year's offense, we saw a lot of deep comebacks from the opposite hash. At one point, Rambo ate up like 5 consecutive receptions during a game where they just could not cover the play because of the space and TVD's arm. So.... let's sprinkle in some of that into the offense? I imagine (hope?) those type of things get added over summer and Fall camp.
Go look at dam near every Rambo thread from last season or game thread, while guys were giving potential labels to every other player, I was scream Rambo is cooking RIGHT NOW.. Guys only realize it after he has left, even though he isnt biggest or fastest he knew how to create seperation with ease.. I remember in that same game you mention, Rambo would catch those passes and connsistently make the first opponent miss, he got tired, they put Wiggins in, smae route, he got tackled immediately.. Just because you run the same plays doesnt mean you will get same results.. None of those guys showed they could do what Rambo did..

Advertisement
I actually thought on a few throws TVD was late on. Just a minor quibble, you can see this guy has a real command of the game, right now

Jake Garcia showed were in good hands, too
I noticed this alot also.. Held on to ball a tick too long.. Kid still needs reps and adjusting to offense was my guess.. Happened a few times.. And he missed some big time open guys (on play Tecory got hurt, Skinner ran a drag from opposite side then turned it upfield, type of play I have seen Bama/Okla run for huge plays, the WR ran post to carry CB and Safety and clear out, for some reason he threw the post... late... While Skinner is there wide open up sideline, weird as those are money plays designed to get a guy open)

I noticed this alot also.. Held on to ball a tick too long.. Kid still needs reps and adjusting to offense was my guess.. Happened a few times.. And he missed some big time open guys (on play Tecory got hurt, Skinner ran a drag from opposite side then turned it upfield, type of play I have seen Bama/Okla run for huge plays, the WR ran post to carry CB and Safety and clear out, for some reason he threw the post... late... While Skinner is there wide open up sideline, weird as those are money plays designed to get a guy open)

sky, that's the thing, you can have an absolute cannon, but if you are consistently late in throwing, and dont anticipate throws you're just ****ing away vitamins

This has to be the next step in his development

He can't just rely on jamming balls in there once he sees a guy open and that window is already closing

Even with our inconsistent WRs, I'm feeling OK about our Offense. I don't think we'll have any problems putting up points.

But the D - especially upfront is of great concern. We've got no difference makers in our front 7, and that's not good.

Need a MLB (or two) and a 1T (or two) badly. We're just not stout enough.

Advertisement
The front 7 has a ways to go but it will look different in the fall. Agude/Moultrie/Mesidor (hopefully) and then Roberts/JHH will be healthy. Add in a transfer at LB and Chase Smith, and it’s a different unit.

The defense looks sound again and the better DB play was noticeable. Great job by Addae/Steele there. Add in Stevenson, Porter, and Kinchens and that back end looks pretty tough.

Go look at dam near every Rambo thread from last season or game thread, while guys were giving potential labels to every other player, I was scream Rambo is cooking RIGHT NOW.. Guys only realize it after he has left, even though he isnt biggest or fastest he knew how to create seperation with ease.. I remember in that same game you mention, Rambo would catch those passes and connsistently make the first opponent miss, he got tired, they put Wiggins in, smae route, he got tackled immediately.. Just because you run the same plays doesnt mean you will get same results.. None of those guys showed they could do what Rambo did..
U are absolutely right! Only thing I’d add is that Rambo and TVD worked themselves up to their breakout seasons. Neither were completely and undoubtedly performing at that level during the spring prior to last season.

I believe we need a portal WR (hopefully Harrell) but I also believe we have WRs right now that can develop into the #1 and do some of the things Rambo eventually did last season as well. A summer with Feld and reps with TVD, plus studying Gattis’ playbook and back with him in the Fall is a lot of time for the light 💡 to come on for one of them.

We need to chill, Rambo and TVD didn’t light up the Spring game last year. They worked a process, let our WRs do the same.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back