Spring Spring PractiSe 15: Spring Game!!!!!!!

Just catching up here after watching the 2nd half.

- You can’t tell much from this game from a play calling standpoint. Gattis didn’t show squat in this game

- Thad looks better and in better shape. He should have a place in the stable and be in there situationally if everyone is healthy. But imo, Don and Rooster are still the 1-2 punch. I may get caught out for this but I think Citizen could pass Thad on the depth chart by the end of the year. Not a knock on Thad. I’m just super high on Citizen.

- The wrs need to step up. Not sure how much of it was the vanilla play calling. Some of you know I’ve been super high on Key. I hope he takes a step forward this year. But **** I wish we signed that dude from the portal from the lower tier college. Name escapes me.

- TEs look ***ing outstanding. Boner alert.

- Garcia is up next. What a blessing to have him as a backup. He is better than a lot of the starters we’ve trotted out there the past decade + with all due respect.

- DL weak as ****. Licht was all around the ball. Good guy to have on the roster. We need beef though.

- GF3 looked like he was ready for September. **** he was hyped up and making plays. But we need help bad here

- Avante is special. This safety group has to be one of the best in the country

- The cbs pressing and contesting was so great to see. We are going to see improvement just from the scheme. That’s not even counting Rique and Porter on the way

Good to see some Canes football. Always fun. It was a little sloppier than I expected. Maybe my expectations were misaligned. I thought I was going to see a little tighter game.

- Some of you posters need to to get your **** together before the season. Lot of sloppiness in this thread. Plenty of time to get into game form.

Advertisement
The offense is different & the WR’s have inconsistent hands.

TVD’s strong suit is stretching the field with deep route combinations & this offense isn’t centered around the deep ball.

The primary focus is the middle of the field with crossing patterns & attacking the flats with the RB’s.

The WR’s will have to work a lot harder to get open in this offense because the route concepts are a lot different.

It’s not that TVD starts slow IMO, it’s just a matter of understanding the philosophy of what the plan of attack will be.

He’ll have to adjust to the difference from being a perimeter heavy passing attack to be being more comfortable with taking the underneath routes & checkdowns. In last year’s offense his first read on most plays was to the outside, in this system it will be the Y, E, F, H, A & B & then X & Z.
In part, I think they should adjust to his strengths. When Likens supposedly put his touch on last year's offense, we saw a lot of deep comebacks from the opposite hash. At one point, Rambo ate up like 5 consecutive receptions during a game where they just could not cover the play because of the space and TVD's arm. So.... let's sprinkle in some of that into the offense? I imagine (hope?) those type of things get added over summer and Fall camp.

TVD’s strong suit is stretching the field with deep route combinations & this offense isn’t centered around the deep ball.

The primary focus is the middle of the field with crossing patterns & attacking the flats with the RB’s.

The WR’s will have to work a lot harder to get open in this offense because the route concepts are a lot different.

It’s not that TVD starts slow IMO, it’s just a matter of understanding the philosophy of what the plan of attack will be.

He’ll have to adjust to the difference from being a perimeter heavy passing attack to be being more comfortable with taking the underneath routes & checkdowns. In last year’s offense his first read on most plays was to the outside, in this system it will be the Y, E, F, H, A & B & then X & Z.
Always great intel. Thanks for the insight. I think he’ll adjust in general and one of those will be the offense, two may be is it perception or reality that he needs a few layups to get rolling into the game to avoid missing a few balls we know he can hit.

Advertisement
Spring games are Spring games, but real games are real games.

If they use him as a Nickel he can do well in spots, but we’ll see.
Not really about his Spring game showing. I just maintain he has a skill set that can be useful to us in sub-packages. Agree it's wait and see, as it is for virtually everything right now.

My quick thoughts:
- This team will look much different come fall camp. I counted ~7 starters/fridge starters who weren't participating (Chaney/Knighton, Brinson, Mallory, Agude, Harvey, JHH, Chase Smith, Bissainthe... doesn't even factor in Moultrie, Porter Jr., Graves and potentially Coleman, Caleb Johnson, and hopefully Mesidor. Mario knows this roster has roles, especially in the trenches.
- QB room is as good as I can remember. TVD was up and down today but he showed what he can do. Garcia needs to be a tick faster but some of his throws wow you. Brown is a developmental piece.
- TE/RB rooms are rich in talent and have a mix of guys with different skill sets.
- WR room is missing a true #1. These guys all flash but consistency will either make or break them.
- Oline is solid. Nothing more, nothing less.
- Dline is just not there yet. Part of that is the guys who didn't play and part of that is just the guys on the roster. We really need 2+ bodies from the portal who can contribute.
- LBs looked okay. Just not enough juice in the room right now.
- CBs looked pretty good today. These guys are being coached well and it's showing.
- Safeties room is the strength of the defense and these are dudes. I'd take this group over any one in the country. Continue to develop these beasts.
- No major injuries!

Successful spring game! We should be excited for fall!

In part, I think they should adjust to his strengths. When Likens supposedly put his touch on last year's offense, we saw a lot of deep comebacks from the opposite hash. At one point, Rambo ate up like 5 consecutive receptions during a game where they just could not cover the play because of the space and TVD's arm. So.... let's sprinkle in some of that into the offense? I imagine (hope?) those type of things get added over summer and Fall camp.
TVD was asked about "other stuff in the offense" in his post game press conference. He laughed and indicated there was definitely more "stuff". Hopefully it's what you described

833C1C2A-45BD-4196-9539-9FF15332AC54.gif
It’s literally a business decision. They not living out there & rarely go back…maybe for a big game or to be recognized for a moment, but that’s bout it.

Advertisement
I noticed that Ivey was in man-press almost exclusively today..
He shouldn’t play anything else. If coaches call another coverage, then him and Dunson need to come out. The personnel must match the call.

No WR should ever have a free release against Ivey. We have enough footage of that not working out too well for us.

Last year looked like OK State stole his soul in the bowl game and took it back to Stillwater for 2021.

I was told at practice on Thursday that Couch had some personal stuff that really effected his play last season. That stuff been taken care off now.

He literally didn't look like the same player last season that we saw in 2020

I was literally putting that in my post & I erased it b/c I didn’t wanna take away from my compliment of Jacob. But yeah, u’re 100% right.
Yeah man, hopefully the transfers help out a lot this upcoming season. I do like what we have coming in the pipeline, Nyjalik Kelly and Cyrus should be a very good DE duo once they are developed in a year or 2

He shouldn’t play anything else. If coaches call another coverage, then him and Dunson need to come out. The personnel must match the call.

No WR should ever have a free release against Ivey. We have enough footage of that not working out too well for us.
Seems like a pretty easy way to show the offense what you are running lol.

Advertisement
It’s literally a business decision. They not living out there & rarely go back…maybe for a big game or to be recognized for a moment, but that’s bout it.
Yep, and sometimes it hurts, but you can’t be mad…. Now that we have a real staff in place, hopefully these guys not only choose to stay home, but they are also developed in college.

TVD on these check downs and taking off when it’s available to him

That’s the part of his game that’s gonna take him to that next level and it’s fun to watch. We know he can sling it but if he’s gonna be a top draft pick he’s gotta do these things

He just throws a great ball

I actually thought on a few throws TVD was late on. Just a minor quibble, you can see this guy has a real command of the game, right now

Jake Garcia showed were in good hands, too

Totally agree, as a first time starter had 3 games with below par first halves. I think he showed us plenty of times that he grew up last year and is the real deal. Geez

Advertisement
I was told at practice on Thursday that Couch had some personal stuff that really effected his play last season. That stuff been taken care off now.

He literally didn't look like the same player last season that we saw in 2020
That is both great intel and tough to hear. Sometimes it is hard to get right. Not even really bad ominous stuff, just not 💯 and that takes it’s toll.

Thad might be a solid back to run between the tackles but don’t ever expect a 50 yard run. If Don ever gets healthy and stays healthy, he’s easily the better RB.
That's kind of the thing though...and it's nothing he can do about it..but at this point in his career, Chaney is injury prone. I'm rooting hard for him because he can be special, but at the same time, he can't be consistently relied on.

Advertisement
Back