Spring Spring PractiSe 15: Spring Game!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Interestingly, when they huddled up, the safeties looked bigger than the D-line.
Yeah DL is extremely small, we took way to many undersized DTs. You can make an exception for a Leonard Taylor whose 6'3 255, but when you start recruiting nothing but sub 6'2 270 LBs DTs it becomes an issue... Mario definitely noticed and did what he could to bring in size

Ahmad Moten 6'3 295
Anez Cooper 6'6 350

We obviously have to do a better job of making contested catches, but some of the WR issues can be attributed to a new philosophy of coverage.

WR's aren't comfortable versus this defense.
It's not WR friendly.
A lot of contact from defenders.
Contested throws.
Smaller windows.
Believe it or not, some of that **** affects the psyche of a WR.

I think you guys are undervaluing how improved our DB unit is.
If the WR's balled out we'd all be worried about our secondary.

With that being said...
There definitely was some throws that our WR's should have came down with. Ladson has to snatch that ball in the endzone. He's got to play bigger. We definitely need a burner at WR...but our last staff like to let those kids get out of our backyard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We lack depth on defense but I believe we have some nice pieces, particularly when everybody comes back.
Tae, Chase, Stevenson, Keontra, Williams, Kinchens, Taylor, JHH... That's some good athleticism on defense. I believe Tae is a freak. Possibly a first-round talent. Chase Smith is also a freak.

It would be really nice to have a 315lb Alton Tarber at DT right now. Good job Manny. 🙄

Our QB, TE and RB rooms are really exciting.
IMO Thad isn't the guy some of y'all think he is, but he serves a valuable role. We know what we're getting in Rooster, hopefully coach Williams has worked on his patience. We're getting a stud in Citizen. Parrish is a quality running back with great feet who can help catch out of the backfield. I'm not holding my breath on Chaney.

The irony of this roster is that the main pieces we're missing, are kids that Manny passed up on. Imagine this defense with Dorlus and Tarber. Or this WR unit with Zay Flowers. (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some kids)
I know hindsight is 20/20 and us local guys do this often on here, but it is what it is. Just so happens that our glaring weaknesses are positions where our local recruiting was absolutely clueless.

Overall a good spring. I believe you can already see a better product on the field. Lots to look forward to.
Ladson pass was over thrown

Advertisement
Yeah DL is extremely small, we took way to many undersized DTs. You can make an exception for a Leonard Taylor whose 6'3 255, but when you start recruiting nothing but sub 6'2 270 LBs DTs it becomes an issue... Mario definitely noticed and did what he could to bring in size

Ahmad Moten 6'3 295
Anez Cooper 6'6 350
Cooper will be an o lineman here. And Moten was reported as being 323.

Advertisement
I grew up a Mike Rumph fan. I have nothing against him.

Paul Williams left us and has consistently got gigs as a cb coach. Current Wake Forest CB coach. Yea he looks like a pedo and was weird..but he still gets db coaching gigs lol

Rumph would be coaching high school ball right now.
I like the position he is right now on staff...it allows him to work on his short comings in recruiting. He will be a better db coach for it.
🧢
1650217078884.gif

Maybe but don’t use the wide run for this position. That was Gattis checking whether Thad could make that run and the answer is he can’t. But you‘ll never see that run called with Thad in the game. And very, very few guys his size can beat the defense to the outside on that run. The few who can are or did play in the NFL and were some of the all-timers.
Thad’s in-between the tackles and will punish defenses, especially as the game wears on.
Thad is our 4th quarter back, especially if we have a lead and need to run clock.

Would you say he's what we hoped Gus Edwards would be?

He was going to take the UVA job if Elliot turned it down. I agree though it’s going to take the right fit for him to leave, For instance I don’t see him taking the GT job when it opens up this year.
Definitely has to be put and knowing how he is it'll have to be somewhere he knows has potential to build. Strong recruiting base etc.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back