Spring Spring PractiSe #15 SPRING GAME Saturday April 13 4 pm

Yep. Reports in camp said he was struggling, and that was confirmed today.

Didn’t have this on my bingo card, but I’d consider looking for a portal center to push him. Rodriguez has been here for 3+ years now and just doesn’t seem like he’s going to take that next step. Too early to give up on someone like Tripp, but he’s certainly down there on the depth chart.

Very curious to see how the OL looks under Mirabal this year. He’s got some work to do but he’s got plenty of talent in the room…
We have a plethora of talent at guard - Cooper, Kinsler, McCoy, Samson, etc. Not sure if any of them could learn to be a center, but it’s a thought

Advertisement
Rivers. Kick Samson to RT and Francis to LT. Cooper and McCoy as the guards
I don't want to take Rivers away from Right Tackle, but if Carpenter isn't the answer, do what you have to do.

Id rather play a different guy at tackle who should do well and have a solid center, then play a known problem at center with a solid left tackle.

Find a bonafide multi-year starter in the portal. Offensive line problems shouldn't be an issue. With these coaches, issues with that group are unacceptable.

The difference between Ward and the remaining QBs was striking. I know he's that good. But on the flip side, I didn't see anyone better behind him than TVD was last year. Overall, we're a better team, so 8-4 without Cam, and he adds 2 game easy, he's that valuable.

Everyone we expected would do well, did well. But on the flip side, the holes we expected were glaring. RB without Fletcher, Allen, Parrish and Chaney is a liability. DT not good enough. DBs not good enough, could really use a top-end WR to win the toughest games. As is being voiced in above posts, I'm a little concerned about Center, too.

Advertisement
Poff: Didn't really see anything from Poff to go one way or another, didn't feel he had too many real opportunities. Like on his first drive he was doing well, then they got a penalty, then he had his worst play where he had a clean pocket and drifted like 15 yards back before throwing out of bounds, then next play he scrambled and idk if it would have been a tackle or not on 3rd... I'm not going to say anything predictive about him based on legit like 3 drives in a spring game lol. I expect him to fully be in the competition next year for the starting job. Maybe an elite talent like Ward enters in 2025 and we go for them, but I think most likely scenario is its an in-house competition. And at the end of the day regardless whether you liked what you saw from him or not in this spring game, pretty much everyone has unanimously said Poff was the clear #2 throughout spring as a whole. So this year he's #2. I think he needs to work on his tendency to drift backwards EVEN when he has a clean pocket.

Judd: Obvious RS and a guy I wouldn't expect to even be in the consideration for 3 years type of player - if he develops. I'm fine just having him as a backup and can run scout team until that time comes or he leaves. It is what it is with him. I'm fine having developmental Qbs on the roster. Low probability, but don't think it's a bad move taking a guy like him. Like I've said I'm all about taking the developmental Qb when you go all out for a stud in the portal. Which is what we did. No complaints. He's also a guy true frosh that enrolled early. His INT was a deep out from opposite hash. So yeah that wasn't good.

Emory: Was solid to good today. Nothing spectacular or anything, but nothing incredibly bad either. I really don't get anyone who came out of today claiming Emory was bad lol. Like if you watched and said this guy isn't spectacular and that's why you don't think he'll ever be the guy here, okay. But to say he was bad just leads me to think you didn't really watch. Worst play was getting stripped probably - gotta have better security/strength as he moves up the pocket so an hand swipe knocks it out. That was easily avoidable and he would have hit the check down for at least like 6+ yards if he didn't get stripped there. Next play no one open (and didn't see anyone open either) so he hits check down which was good. 3rd down and 11 he has an open crossing route but it looks like Wr (redding?) slows down for some reason and the pass is like a foot too far in front... like is that on Emory? I think so because his footwork on the pass was dog**** (like a jump pass). But his next drive was objectively good - he led a 2min TD drive and had solid passes. Just took what was there.

Jacurri: Was also solid to good today I'd say. But unfortunately the same problems we've all seen from him the last 2 seasons still show. He just straight misses waay too many easy throws. I think this performance in the spring game is basically who he is. He can make some big throws. He's got a great build, and has a pretty good arm that he can just flick it deep. And when he has a good base he can throw with velocity. He's not afraid to pull the trigger either. But dude literally has a higher comp% when throwing >8 yards than <5 yards, which is just crazy. I think this spring game showed exactly why people like him though. He can make big plays, And we actually saw him take off for a long run which is the first time he's ever shown that on film imo. Jacurris deep ball was to Kirk going against a walk on Cb, but it was good acurracy. This was the best throw of the day out of him Emory/Poff. But then his next play there was a miscommunication and he threw it deep to no one, and the following play he ****ed up the handoff and we turned it over. So like will people say he outplayed Emory? Yes but imo thats entirely because he had the deep pass to Kirk and a long run, and basically nothing else.

in Summation: I think I'd put it like this TODAY if I had to choose which Qb to start only this entire season between Jacurri and Emory, I'd lean more towards choosing Jacurri. This is because I think he will have these garbage passes, but ultimately has the higher ceiling and I'd hope by the end of the season he'd be hitting his stride. However, If I had to choose between Emory and Jacurri for 1 game only (like when Emory had to play against Clemson), I'd almost certainly lean towards playing Emory. It's a pretty typical high floor vs high ceiling call in those two situations for me.
Emory is Emory, a great locker room guy whose ceiling is a game manager which is fine. This program needs a backup QB who will be here for years.

Last edited:
After watching the spring "game" today, I'd say that Mario and staff have the QB's listed correctly.

1) Ward
2A) Poff
2B) Emory
4) Williams
5) Judd
its so sad we recruited Judd and had this kid tweeting recruits trying to get them to be canes.... really hope the Cam ward affect hits all players and coaches.

Judd will never ever start but just sucks when we could of had bailey or ANY body else but judd

Advertisement
Advertisement
its so sad we recruited Judd and had this kid tweeting recruits trying to get them to be canes.... really hope the Cam ward affect hits all players and coaches.

Judd will never ever start but just sucks when we could of had bailey or ANY body else but judd
Judd has legit physical tools, I wouldn't just write him off after one pick 6 when he should still be in high school. It's way to early in his development to say he will never play.

Advertisement
We definitely have something at QB. RB leaves a lot to be desired and I don't trust anything I saw at WR. I'm at 9 wins right now.
Leaves a lot to be desired is an understatement and it's just sad considering who we have recruited. Citizen and Fletcher without injuries and we would have a one two punch at RB that would be the envy of the conference. But that's not the reality and we are going to go get a top notch rb the portal so there's that but after what I saw in that scrimmage put me down for thinking that we need 2 RBs. CJ will make plays but he isn't the answer at RB right now. Same with Hellcat. In 2025 it will be different but for this year we need 2 RBs and maybe 2 WR. Definitely a WR#1.

I didn't care for either interior line TBH and we need help at DB.

We definitely have something at QB. RB leaves a lot to be desired and I don't trust anything I saw at WR. I'm at 9 wins right now.
I completely disagree with the wrs. Believe me, I’d obviously take a legit wr from the portal. But I don’t think it’s a huge need. There is a lot of talent there. I think our WR room is in good shape

against a 5'6 walk-on safety
And Idc. Walk on or not, he was on the field. The kid had decent coverage, and JB was staring at a blitz right in his face. Still had to have the courage to throw the ball and to put it where his receiver could make s play on it. He also ripped a few passes vs. scholarship players too, and he missed a couple passes that a middle school QB, should be able to make.

And Idc. Walk on or not, he was on the field. The kid had decent coverage, and JB was staring at a blitz right in his face. Still had to have the courage to throw the ball and to put it where his receiver could make s play on it. He also ripped a few passes vs. scholarship players too, and he missed a couple passes that a middle school QB, should be able to make.
No other QB in Miami history would get this slander. Instead of compliments it's yea, but lol.

Advertisement
Back