"Spring Practice Primer: Miami Hurricanes"

Fisch probalby kept it safe to cut the turnovers. Morris should have progressed by now to open it up some, but there should still be the check downs for him. TE production could really open the offense up. Walford was starting to come on. I hope Sandland can come in and make some plays. That will give defenses a lot more to think about when they can come at them with three true threats.

Advertisement
Interesting that this dude is under the impression Coley will try to keep the terminology from Fish the same but will abandon Fish's dink and dunk garbage that I hated. I tend to agree with this guy.

You know Chise, we certainly did a lot of the short screens that would be considered dink and dunk but we also went
down the field quite a bit utilizing Morris long ball skills. I think his opinion is based upon the latter. You could
certainly make a case to call it both ways. Hopefully S. Coley's ball skills will tempt us to open it up even further.

What was most maddening to me about the dink and dunk stuff was our inability to execute. I thought we went up top plenty of times. I think our impressions would be a whole lot different if three things, all having to do with execution, had happened:
1) Morris hadn't blatantly missed so many short passes that would have resulted in positive yards and maybe even some big plays off of wide receiver screens, etc.. We always ***** when teams kill us with that stuff, but also when we run it against other teams
2) We had held onto more deep balls. Our vertical passing game was pretty good, imagine if we didn't drop so many touchdowns.
3) We had converted on all the trick plays near the endzon that had 3 people running wide open and we threw to the one that was covered

I thought Fisch, for the most part, ran good plays that got players open and we didn't execute, but maybe they were too complicated for our guys. I would rather see some more smashmouth runs and tight end throws, but what if we get there and it starts looking like the 1990s Dolphins, where, despite having one of the better pass blocking lines in the league, the best we can muster is Mark Higgs off left tackle for two yards.

Coley clearly recognizes the explosive nature of the Hurricanes offense, citing their big offensive line and downfield threats as a reason to run a scheme that focuses on the vertical passing game with a vertical rushing attack. He has kept much of the terminology from Jedd Fisch's pro-style offense, but explained that a vertical attack would work better than "dink and dunk" with this personnel.
FAP

Advertisement
I liked the article, and felt it was a fair assessment of where we're at. However, I hope the author is dead wrong on his observation that "Defensive end Shayon Green, linebacker Denzel Perryman, and safety AJ Highsmith can help lead their respective units as the Hurricanes look to firm up the defensive side of the ball. Let's hope that 2 out of 3 of those are displaced by higher ceiling guys who have surpassed them come ACC play on October 5th.

Advertisement
Back