Spring Practice 3/22 - Early Portion Notes

View as article
Advertisement
**LATE EDIT: In the interview portion after practice, the offensive line stayed on the field to hit the sleds after everyone already left (Tre Johnson was not present). The depth chart was:

First Team: St. Louis - Jones - Gauthier - Donaldson - Brown
Second Team: Herbert - Scaife - Gaynor - Mahoney - Hillery
Third Team: Campbell - Milo - Dykstra

At this point Milo needs to be handed his walking papers.

Would love to see more 4 wide sets regardless but agree out of necessity it may have to happen more. I also have a feeling Jordan is taking someone's job early in fall camp and Mallory won't be far behind if he's added some size.

My worry is Irvin or Polendy leaving if they get passed up early in fall camp. There just isn't enough depth at the position to lose either guy to attrition.
Zero ***** given if they leave. I would prefer they turn a corner and are able to contribute and provide depth but if not audios. Depth that sucks isnt depth.

Advertisement
@canemac would love to see one of Derrick Smith. He doesn’t need to get to true LB level weight (230-250) but in Manny box ss/Sam I’m thinking he should make a solid jump to around 220 with low bf.

Never want to forget to thank you so thanks. I wouldn't read too much into the two deep this early. Coaches have a lot of psychological reasons for putting strange names into starting positions.

D smith has to be close to 220. Its basically a Big Nickel package. Obvious pass situations he will be subbed for a corner. Mccloud just needs to be crossed trained on MLB or WLB.

Advertisement
The weak spot in Cager's game has been playing-to-size and physicality, yet we constantly endure people wanting to see him at TE.

The TE situation is what happens when your team still has JAGs you're relying on for playing time. The only way to solve that is through recruiting and waiting it out. Stack 'chips.

Thankfully we have 2 elite TEs who will be here soon and they will both play about 80% of the reps this season.

Advertisement
Because everyone thinks this is a video game.
Not really.... Just not accepting our current roster at that position.. There are probably 50-60 teams in CFB that those 3 guys couldn't start on. So just thinking who else on the team could be a better option until the FR come and apparently save our lives.... I tossed out what I thought the biggest WR we have was.. but i see on the roster he's only 195 which is too light.. looked heavier to me in pics/games.. guess it'll just be a "brian monroe" type offseason at TE...

Advertisement
Not really.... Just not accepting our current roster at that position.. There are probably 50-60 teams in CFB that those 3 guys couldn't start on. So just thinking who else on the team could be a better option until the FR come and apparently save our lives.... I tossed out what I thought the biggest WR we have was.. but i see on the roster he's only 195 which is too light.. looked heavier to me in pics/games.. guess it'll just be a "brian monroe" type offseason at TE...

Are we playing games in the Spring that I missed? Why move an obvious WR and guy that would undoubtedly get serious reps next year to foreign position that he isn't going to play come fall? 1. You take away reps for him at WR which is the position he will be counted on come fall and maybe just maybe become a red zone target so we can stop throwing fades to Thomas and Harley in the red zone. 2. There are players at TE this spring who had a bad day now people want to move people around. There are 2 more coming this summer and 1 of which is built like a truck so he could definitely see significant minutes next year.

Like I said, people think it's a video game and just want to move people around because they "look the part".

@canemac would love to see one of Derrick Smith. He doesn’t need to get to true LB level weight (230-250) but in Manny box ss/Sam I’m thinking he should make a solid jump to around 220 with low bf.

1521742399463.png

I cant imagine he knows the playbook well enough yet...

That’s exactly y he should be out there. Stop wasting practice time and reps on players that aren’t going to help you win. Then in the season when they put him in and he makes a mistake people will say he needs more reps and experience.......

Advertisement
Back