Spring Practice 3/20 - Early Portion Notes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Goooood morning Canes fans and what a beautiful morning for some spring football! The early viewing part of practice on Greentree lasted about 20 minutes, and there was a lot going on at once, but here were a few of my impressions.

**As expected, the QB rotation is like so on Day 1 of Camp:

(1) Malik Rosier
(2) N'Kosi Perry
(3) Cade Weldon
(4) Jarren Williams

**Rosier was the most consistent on his passes, throwing mostly strikes in drills constituting play-action weak side rollout, quick bubble screens, and hitches. Perry was off and on, mixing in dimes with low and away balls and passes behind the receiver. Williams was notable for an accurate throw that was on the money for his first pass, but neither he nor Weldon stood out. Again, very limited action here and with no defense.

**Williams looks the part of a top level QB. Any possible (unfounded) concerns about his weight have been put to rest, as he has a solid build.

**Redshirt senior Darrell Langham was first in line for single receiver drills matched up with Rosier. When the team went three wide, it was Langham and fellow senior Dayall Harris first up on the outside, with sophomore Jeff Thomas in the slot.

**Another receiver note, freshman WR Daquris Wiggins got his first spring action of his career and looked especially quick, making the catch and getting upfield smoothly.

**Junior Michael Irvin II was first up with the tight ends with Rosier and he stood out... in a negative way. He had as many passes bounce off his hands as he caught, while also looking slow. Sophomore Brian Polendey, the only other scholarship tight end on the roster for spring, wasn't much better, dropping his first pass from Perry as well.

**As some have predicted, redshirt senior Terry McCray was getting reps at DE today. Will be interesting to see if that's a permanent move.

**Didn't get a chance to watch much else, but one other player I did see was redshirt freshman Robert Burns, who has put on some serious pounds. He looks like he may be being groomed for a role at fullback.

**Malek Young was out at practice helping out with the cornerbacks after his career-ending neck injury suffered in the Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
Bunch of fully engorged dudes on this board now that we've heard one of our players has put on weight AND possibly moved positions.

Irvin II about to be moved to DL. Polendey is on his way to North Texas...if he's lucky. And Burns at FB? Not the spot for an injury-prone kid.

Glad to hear Wiggins is shining early. McCray to DE might be a good look. Turn him loose.

Advertisement
lmao at burns as a fullback. the kid who cant stay healthy at rb is gonna line up at a position that calls for him to be even more physical than what he was... yea i think hes about to be a transfer or medical candidate

McCrary at DE is a great look. Was the sack leader in Broward his Jr year and I think even his Sr year. Why is it a bad thing that he went from a pass rushing DE in HS to a OLB and couldn't grasp it? A lot of kids cant. He will have all the reps he can get in the Spring to prove he can be serviceable. Our 4th DE position is up for grabs. Not going to just hand that to Patchan.

Irvin II. Smh. 48 Laws of Power. "Never step in the shoes left behind by a Great man". (paraphrasing) I am starting to think Irvin should go back to Texas and attend Texas Tech or something. He just isn't mentally there. Looking slow and sluggish? I can deal with a few drops but for him to come in out of shape is no go. Which I am assuming he did.

Any new updated rosters?. The one I saw Matt Porter was given from the Palm Beach Post for today's practice was exactly the same from last year as far as heights/weights.

"In drills, the veterans led. Dayall Harris, Lawrence Cager and Darrell Langham — looking like he’s added some good weight — were first up"

Advertisement
Any new updated rosters?. The one I saw Matt Porter was given from the Palm Beach Post for today's practice was exactly the same from last year as far as heights/weights.

"In drills, the veterans led. Dayall Harris, Lawrence Cager and Darrell Langham — looking like he’s added some good weight — were first up"

The roster they gave us is the same one you can find on the team site

Advertisement
"As expected: Michael Irvin and Brian Polendey were the first two up. Polendey, to this eye, looks like he had a better offseason (physically) than Irvin "
http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...nes-return-to-field-for-2018-spring-practice/

Irvin looks like he is not really into it totally. I have heard that Polendey is around 245. I hope it is true as his blocking is needed. Hew as a good blocker in HS.

In the video above by UKnow Polendey in the drill looks much bigger/muscular.

Advertisement
Thanks . No defense to worry about just receivers lining up and running routes and Malik was the only one consistently putting the ball where it's supposed to be? Isn't this the drill they have been running since the season ended? Just saying.

Advertisement
Back