Spring Game Review (Long)

I just think we have better options. These two have shown over the course of their careers they are soft mentally and physically and can’t catch. Pope gets open and Wiggins is fast. Doesn’t mean **** if you can’t catch the ball. Should have given the young guys more looks last year and definitely have to this year.
I agree with you! Imo the starters should be Rambo, Smith, and Harley. Restrepo is looking good and I think people are sleeping on Brinson. Breshard is gonna be a baller and Geroge is a baller just needs to add some weight. Hopefully it clicks with Wiggins an Pope but I just don't see that happening. Like you said we have better options can even split Mallory an Arroyo out wide.

Advertisement
Let's go position by position and break down what I saw from individual players in the Spring Game.

QB

I'll join the chorus who prefers Garcia to TVD at this point. The big trait differences are footwork/pocket movement and aggression. Garcia is comfortable climbing and sliding the pocket and does it even when he doesn't have to. It's just a natural part of his game. TVD is more statuesque and unnatural with his footwork. There were some throws he missed or failed to drive where he locked his front leg and armed the ball. Garcia has superior lower body mechanics and it's not close.

In terms of aggression we saw Garcia look to push the ball down the field, sometimes to a fault. It's easier to coach that out of a player than to teach them to look for the deep shot. I can see Garcia giving defenses fits with the tempo RPO game and then going for the deep ball kill shot when it's timed up. He's also experienced and proficient in Air Raid concepts. He threw a well-timed hole shot to Redding on his first drive which was my favorite moment of his. He's advanced for a guy who just got on campus. He was a beat late on a deep dig vs Cover 3 later on in the scrimmage but that's just an example to show he's not perfect, yet?

TVD is no slouch though because he has one thing over Garcia - processing speed and timing. His eyes were consistently in the right place and he gets the ball out instantly at the top of his drop. There were just too many off-target throws and touch throws where he needed to drive the ball. If he cleans up the accuracy issues he could be like Mac Jones with less confidence moving around the pocket and briefly extending plays. He may even have a stronger arm than Garcia but that tells you that arm talent =/= arm strength cause his arm talent is clearly inferior.

Speaking of arm talent, we know Matocha doesn't have what it takes in that department. I don't think the portal would be wise for him.

RB

Knighton ran well. His footwork and processing were on point. He just doesn't bring any power element and gets stopped easily on contact. That's not uncommon for his archetype of back and doesn't preclude him from having an NFL career. People thought Chase Edmonds would be the feature back for Arizona this year and he's the same way.

Harris didn't play much yet still had an awesome rep in pass pro, of course. His footwork still isn't on the level that Knighton showed, which is disappointing. He's a macro-mover who likes big jump cuts or longer diagonal cuts. This causes him to miss cutbacks and narrow creases. If he ran with micromovement like a Dalvin Cook or Alvin Kamara he'd be a big-time prospect and challenge Chaney for the feature job. I don't think Chaney should be worried as long as he can suit up.

WR

Rambo was ok. He caught everything and ran hard but his routerunning looked ordinary. He ran a speed out where he tipped off his route badly and those often end in pick 6es. He's still a clear starter imo.

Restrepo looks the part. The only issues with him is his small catch radius. He didn't adjust to an off-target TVD throw on a glance route at the goal line but then leaped to score the next one. He has to leave his feet to make most of his catches, which isn't ideal, but he turns into a ballcarrier quickly nonetheless. He should be a major factor.

Pope and Wiggins were their usual selves. Pope is way too soft, has permanent alligator arms and never attacks the ball at its highest point. He's supposed to be an athlete but never eludes anyone cause he runs so soft and tentative. If he enters the portal I'll be thrilled.

Wiggins can stick around though. Yes he still wilts on contact and has weak hands but he separates vertically and that's not nothing. I'd give him another chance to make some plays and see if he can turn it around. It's not unfathomable that he can run by guys in off-man or press-bail and actually catch the ball.

Keyshawn Smith is the dude who deserves the job. He's pretty explosive with his release and he might be the best technician on the team. His routes are precise, he's confident with his hands and he's efficient after the catch. I don't know what the coaches are missing.

The other guy I (still) like is Daz Worsham who's basically Keyshawn lite. He runs good routes and plays physical beyond his size and supposed athletic deficiencies. He reminds me of Riley Ridley. He should take over Pope's role as a versatile depth guy off the bench.

So based on what I saw here I'd go:

X - Rambo then Wiggins/Brinson. Redding in red zone, perhaps
Z - Smith then Payton? +Worsham+Harley mixing in to get Restrepo more snaps
Slot - Harley then Restrepo +Brashard

OL

Was good. Not much to say here. Gaynor played well but his lack of range was evident in the run game, and will always bother me. Zion and Scaife had issues with set points but that's more of a consistency thing than a talent problem. Traore was bad mentally and physically but who cares?

DL

Top-end talent and depth is a huge problem at DE. 13 had some good battles with Zion with his quickness and inside counter. Harvey has traits but goes long stretches of being invisible. They might be ok starters which makes the drop-off from them to the backups alarming. 33 and 22 are both high-cut, leggy and stiff - and guess what there's another like that coming in this summer! 22 has a motor but he doesn't have the edge speed or an inside move to make an impact. Oh yeah I almost forgot about 53 - I kinda wish I did. He plays hard and looks violent but he's robotic and has no idea what he's doing. If you put a gun to my head I'd choose him as the 3rd best DE on the team. It's really bad. Thomas Davis should play a lot if he can stay healthy.

Ford looks leaner and quicker and he's playing as more of a penetrator than just a stack the line nose. He looks poised for a career year and might get on the radar as an NFL guy.

LB

Maybe the most pleasant surprise for me was seeing Keontra at WILL. He looks like a bonafide set it and forget it starter. His processing, angles, and take-on skills were all beyond what I expected. Credit him and the staff for his development. He should be considered a favorite to lead the team in tackles.

Steed was up and down, as usual. One play he'll trigger and make the stop in the backfield then later on he'll get caught in the wash and give up a TD. He's fine depth.

TAC is slow with his reads and seems like more of a "see-it-attack-it" type still. He's athletic but Troutman has better movement and awareness in coverage so he might end up ahead of him on the depth chart. Of course Troutman is worse than a "see-it" type as a run defender because he routinely makes the wrong read and takes himself out of position.

I guess I'll lump Chase Smith in with this group. His size and athleticism easily jumps off the screen and should earn him some kind of role, particularly in the pass game.

DB

Ivey still sucks as a run defender.

Dunson has nice traits as a zone corner. He can be physical as a run defender and at the top of the route. Having length on the field with him and Chase could create opportunities for takeaways. The coaches can't put Dunson in press with catch technique because guys will run by him. He needs to get a jam in.

Hall looked a tick faster early on and made some nice tackles but then continued being a liability in coverage. The issue with him and Kinchens is a lack of burst when they break on the ball from flat-footed positions. Neither have any business lining up in man coverage. Restrepo beat Kinchens on a glance route for a TD where Kinchens squared him up with his strong agility but he just doesn't have the quickness to stay with WRs on route breaks. TVD threw it off-target so the next play they went back to the matchup and X toasted Kinchens to the sideline. So yeah idk how you tell me his athleticism isn't an issue but at least he didn't miss any tackles. He should be a deep safety only.

Avantae is a tank and a reckless striker. It remains to be seen if that's a good or a bad thing. He missed badly on one.

Carter should not be a starter at any position.

Scheme

Wasn't a focus for me. The offense was heavy on RPO glance routes and perimeter underneath stuff. I'd like to see more deep crossing routes but that's hard to do from wide alignments. Restrepo is good at the bending deep-in routes vs zone so maybe we'll see those a lot. A few vanilla concepts were showcased in the run game.

The defense mixed up coverages a lot and was more experimental. There were multiple plays with unsound alignments that got gashed, as per usual.

--

And now we wait for August, pretty much.

Steed never got caught in any wash and never gave up a TD. Steed was not even on the field when the running TD was given up. I guess that’s how it goes around here, discredit a great play and assign false narrative for plays he had nothing to do with. Please rewatch the film. If you find a play where Steed got caught in the wash and gave up a TD in that scrimmage, please post it here.

Steed never got caught in any wash and never gave up a TD. Steed was not even on the field when the running TD was given up. I guess that’s how it goes around here, discredit a great play and assign false narrative for plays he had nothing to do with. Please rewatch the film. If you find a play where Steed got caught in the wash and gave up a TD in that scrimmage, please post it here.
I watched a 480p rebroadcast so it's very possible I caught the wrong number. fwiw I'm a Steed fan and couldn't understand why your son wasn't a starter last year.

I'll go have another look but if you're correct I appreciate the call out.

Looks like you're right and Flagg was the culprit. The number does look like 17 on the screen but I should've made certain by looking at who was on the field the previous play. I'll amend my post.

Snap quickness was always an issue for him. He does have great speed but it's build-up speed so it doesn't help his pass rush it just makes him good in pursuit.

I called him a development type when he was being recruited. He needs to learn how to use his hands because he's not winning with edge quickness. If he's on the field we should see a hefty dose of stunts because his length and speed to power can work as he builds momentum toward the interior.

I could never get too into him as a prospect because he just didn’t have the get off. IIRC he didn’t really use any moves either and relied on power vs hs kids. What was encouraging were his testing numbers and shuttle though

I could never get too into him as a prospect because he just didn’t have the get off. IIRC he didn’t really use any moves either and relied on power vs hs kids. What was encouraging were his testing numbers and shuttle though
Yeah I should clarify he has some lateral agility like you can see when he's lined up at off-ball LB. It's his pass rush where he's stiff, has no plan and doesn't use his hands. Even in his highlights you see tons of plays where he just engages the OT and doesn't even pass the line of scrimmage.

Advertisement
Yeah I should clarify he has some lateral agility like you can see when he's lined up at off-ball LB. It's his pass rush where he's stiff, has no plan and doesn't use his hands. Even in his highlights you see tons of plays where he just engages the OT and doesn't even pass the line of scrimmage.
It doesn’t look like he’s been coached much in his high school tape. He’s usually just more physically dominant than the guy he’s up against. I do think he has some good tools, specifically length and upper body strength so with a little technique help, he could be a similar style rusher to Gregory Rousseau. Obviously I’m not saying he’s going to get 15 sacks, just the nature in which they can get to the quarterback.

I watched a 480p rebroadcast so it's very possible I caught the wrong number. fwiw I'm a Steed fan and couldn't understand why your son wasn't a starter last year.

I'll go have another look but if you're correct I appreciate the call out.

Looks like you're right and Flagg was the culprit. The number does look like 17 on the screen but I should've made certain by looking at who was on the field the previous play. I'll amend my post.

No worries, if I spent all my time trying to put out fires on this forum I would not be productive in my personal life so I try let things progress as they may. It’s just been hard lately because I feel like he hasn’t even gotten the opportunity to get written off but yet he still is. I appreciate your post amendment!!!

Advertisement

Snap quickness was always an issue for him. He does have great speed but it's build-up speed so it doesn't help his pass rush it just makes him good in pursuit.

I called him a development type when he was being recruited. He needs to learn how to use his hands because he's not winning with edge quickness. If he's on the field we should see a hefty dose of stunts because his length and speed to power can work as he builds momentum toward the interior.

Thanks. Nice breakdown. I look forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

That release, it is quick. That ball is out fast just like the QB whose # suits him.

Anything 25 yards or shorter TVD is deadly accurate. when it comes to pushing the ball down field his accuracy starts to dip. I think he can clean that up though, he has the Size and Arm strength to do it. TVD Is a legit P5 starter in my opinion, maybe not this year but definitely next

How many downfield passes have you seen TVD throw?

I’m really hoping some of these kids like Worsham, Elijah Roberts, Holley and Campbell are all patient because they can all be solid players next season IMO with the new transfer rule it’ll be interesting what some of these kids do though.
This isnt directed at you but Roberts would be a fool to leave. We lose Ford, Nesta and Miller next year. The DT room belongs to him and LT in 2022. And even if a kid like Miller decides he wants to hang around for a 6th season (which I honestly hope he does. I might be in the minority here) then Roberts still is guaranteed 3 deep.

I could see Worsham leaving if Brinson is as good as advertised. That said, we lose 4 WRs (Pope, Wiggins, Rambo, Harley) after this season so nobody in that room should leave when things are so up in the air. Nobody in that room has cemented themselves as "guaranteed next in line".

Advertisement
No worries, if I spent all my time trying to put out fires on this forum I would not be productive in my personal life so I try let things progress as they may. It’s just been hard lately because I feel like he hasn’t even gotten the opportunity to get written off but yet he still is. I appreciate your post amendment!!!
Well my Cane brotha, if ever there was a year where your son can take the reins and show hes back to his original form..this is the year. Because that LB room needs all the help it can get! We are definitely rooting for him!

The thing is they both made several plays after their drop in the Spring game. The fans magnify every negative thing these two do because the fans have soured on them. They can never drop another pass in their Miami career for the fans to be happy. Even then they won't be satisfied.

I'm not makig excuses for them, but I'm not going to lose my mind until it happens when it really counts.

Pope dropped 2 passes in the spring game...after he supposedly hit the jugs hard all offseason. Yea man...I'm done.

Advertisement
Back