Spring Game Question

Simply baffled that anyone that has been to campus thinks an on-campus stadium is realistic. Even if they made space, it’s Coral Gables. Half the population had strokes when they lifted the pickup truck ban a few years ago. I believe that to park a pickup truck in Coral Gables today, you still have to follow a few rules like nothing in bed, no lifts, and no duleys. No way in **** do those same residents allow a parade of tailgaters to set up shop there.

I would rather have top notch practice facilities anyway. HRS is awesome.

Advertisement
Tri-Rail was in its infancy when I attended, but I got the bright idea that it would give me time to do homework instead of driving. Problem was I'd have to leave and hour earlier every day because it took longer than driving. Mass transit is all well and good, but when you have to drive through traffic to get to the station and then take longer to get there, it kind of wipes out the benefits of using it.

But that only applies to the north. I've only been to Miami a handful of times in the last 25 years, a few of those in the morning trying to avoid the 7-9 AM window. I can completely understand the frustration of those coming from the south, but there has to be a solution that doesn't involve making things worse for those from the north. The transit problems are bigger than just the stadium and you are spot on about the solution.

**** I can relate. I took the tri rail from West Palm Beach to Miami for months between taking a job there and moving. Sucked *** catching the 5:45am every day to get there on time. Better than driving though.

**** I can relate. I took the tri rail from West Palm Beach to Miami for months between taking a job there and moving. Sucked *** catching the 5:45am every day to get there on time. Better than driving though.
Mine was evenings after work. I'd have had to get off work at 1:30 to make my 5:00 class assuming the worst case for catching the Hurry Canes shuttle.

Whatever it is, I’m sure it is far less than what you would be bringing in every year from the different revenue streams including naming and sponsorship. I look at it like a rental property.

Miami will NEVER be able to reach its full earning potential by renting. If I own a rental property that is paid off (no mortgage), I still need to pay for the upkeep of that property right? But the renters are going to pay for that and then some.

Right now UM is the renter, not the owner. If UM OWNS it’s own stadium, sure it will have to pay to maintain it but the revenue generated will be more than enough to do that plus bring in significant profit for the school. I bet you if you google where a lot of these schools generate revenue, a large portion will be from the stadium. Tickets, concessions, naming rights, concerts, parking, advertising etc

Man, I've given up trying to reason with these folks. The poverty mentality of the third world runs so deep in South Florida that no amount of reasoning or logic can snap them out of it.

They don't have the entrepreneurial, "go getter" spirit of the rest of America - they're just consumed with limiting thoughts of all the things they believe can't be accomplished or can only be accomplished by some mythical elite class.

I guess when your family has been under the thumb of Fidel Castro or Hugo Chavez or all the other oppressors of this world for multiple generations, it just beats you down. The ones who can overcome it are special, but most South Floridians have no sense of industry, and it's kind of sad for them. It will be a few more generations until they realize that in this country, anything is possible as long as the will to accomplish is there.

Out of 130 schools in division 1, Miami is one of a small handful that doesn't have a stadium on campus. It's actually a pretty natural thing for fans of this team to demand an on-campus stadium. These people have just been taught their whole lives never to question anything and to keep their heads down, and so that's what you're seeing.

Man, I've given up trying to reason with these folks. The poverty mentality of the third world runs so deep in South Florida that no amount of reasoning or logic can snap them out of it.

They don't have the entrepreneurial, "go getter" spirit of the rest of America - they're just consumed with limiting thoughts of all the things they believe can't be accomplished or can only be accomplished by some mythical elite class.

I guess when your family has been under the thumb of Fidel Castro or Hugo Chavez or all the other oppressors of this world for multiple generations, it just beats you down. The ones who can overcome it are special, but most South Floridians have no sense of industry, and it's kind of sad for them. It will be a few more generations until they realize that in this country, anything is possible as long as the will to accomplish is there.

Out of 130 schools in division 1, Miami is one of a small handful that doesn't have a stadium on campus. It's actually a pretty natural thing for fans of this team to demand an on-campus stadium. These people have just been taught their whole lives never to question anything and to keep their heads down, and so that's what you're seeing.
Or maybe you're just wrong.

I'm also not of Cuban or Venezuelan descent, but thanks for the bigotry.

Advertisement

The Poverty Mentality??...MFer...you wish you owned what my Poverty Mentality *** has...know who you're talking to, before runnin your mouth about Poverty and 3rd World....especially when You might be the one who actually lives in Poverty compared to others on here.....(P.S...you'd be real surprised)

Lost any bit of credibility you had....

I suggest that any of the "build a stadium on campus" folks start a petition for that idea. Also try and arrange the financing to build such a stadium. When you get enough signatures on your petition and have the financing in hand, go to the City of Coral Gables and see how far you get in receiving permission to go forward. You might also check with the various other government entities involved that have to approve your idea and see what lies ahead for your plan.

In the meantime, I will await to hear from you about your success, should I live that long.

This has to be a troll job. If so, A+, you hooked them all

Advertisement
The Poverty Mentality??...MFer...you wish you owned what my Poverty Mentality *** has...know who you're talking to, before runnin your mouth about Poverty and 3rd World....especially when You might be the one who actually lives in Poverty compared to others on here.....(P.S...you'd be real surprised)

“Know who I’m talking to?”

You are one coloring book away from being illiterate and you’re trying to puff your chest like you’re some kind of tycoon?

I actually hope you are rich. I don’t think you’re very intelligent, but I like to see the simple guy succeed. I did love the movie Forrest Gump, for example.

You are one coloring book away from being illiterate and you’re trying to puff your chest like you’re some kind of tycoon?

I actually hope you are rich. I don’t think you’re very intelligent, but I like to see the simple guy succeed. I did love the movie Forrest Gump, for example.
Gave you hope, did it?

I'm smart enough to be financially set and retired by 60...also intelligent enough to know that Lake Osceola isn't 165 acres, when the whole F ing campus is 220acres...
Real Mensa you are...

Coral Gables isn’t a person. Coral Gables doesn’t allow or disallow anything. Its politicians do. The mayor and city council are elected by the residents.

60,000 people live in the Gables. Between the student population and employees, UM has about 30,000 people. That’s not even counting family members.

That’s a huge voting bloc.

The mayor of Coral Gables, Raul Valdes Fauli, is a former UM trustee.

So Miami is about half the population of Coral Gables, and one of its own BOT is now the mayor, but you don’t think they have insane power?
Wait, your assumption is that students and faculty comprise 50% of voters in Coral Gables? For real?

Advertisement
Wait, your assumption is that students and faculty comprise 50% of voters in Coral Gables? For real?

It's impossible to know that for sure, but humor me.

The number of registered voters in Coral Gables is 29,772, according to the city's website: https://www.coralgables.com/2017-election-home

The number of students at UM is about 17,000, and the number of employees at UM is about 16,000. That's according to UM's website: https://irsa.miami.edu/fast-facts/

The number of alumni living in Coral Gables is not known.

Of course, not every student and employee lives on or near campus, so not all can vote.

On the flip side, not every one of the 29,772 registered voters in Coral Gables is going to show up on voting day, as many upper-middle class Floridians live in the state only certain times of the year.

Still, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that at least a very sizable chunk of the voters in Coral Gables are somehow affiliated with the University of Miami.

This can't be real. There's absolutely no way anybody would think that the entire staff of a university would live in the city right by the school. There's no way anybody would think that every student lives on campus and moves to the city surrounding the campus when they graduate, especially given the extremely high property values.

No way anybody could logically think that.

This can't be real. There's absolutely no way anybody would think that the entire staff of a university would live in the city right by the school. There's no way anybody would think that every student lives on campus and moves to the city surrounding the campus when they graduate, especially given the extremely high property values.

No way anybody could logically think that.

I didn't say that they did, did I?

In fact I explicitly said that a lot of people aren't living near campus. And I said it's impossible to know how many.

Advertisement

The third world comment is dumb.

I didn't say that they did, did I?

In fact I explicitly said that a lot of people aren't living near campus. And I said it's impossible to know how many.
If you think you have the numbers, then I suggest you run for office and make that the focus of your platform. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm smart enough to be financially set and retired by 60...also intelligent enough to know that Lake Osceola isn't 165 acres, when the whole F ing campus is 220acres...
Real Mensa you are...

That I actually respect. And I respect that you're spending your time around the team, doing what you love.

And I did own the fact that I got the size of the lake wrong, by the way.

I never throw the first punch, but I do punch back.

The third world comment is dumb.

Nah. It's probably a crass thing to say, but it's not dumb. What's dumb is going through life letting other people set limits for you, or tell you what you can't do, or what can't be accomplished. That mentality is cancer.

Advertisement
Back