Spring Cleaning - Defense

Hopefully, Al Blades comes in ready to contribute. We could really use another player to add to the mix. Disappointing about Carter as I had expected him to progress. A healthy Gurvan Hall will be a huge boost.

Advertisement
Okay now do a special teams spring cleaning.

- Kickoff Coverage - Bad
- Kickoff Return Blocking - Bad
- Punting - Bad
- Punt Coverage - Bad
- Punt Return Blocking - Bad
- Field Goal Kicking - Unreliable
- Opponents made 100% of their FG against us.

Last year Specials team was the worse special teams I've ever seen in IDK how long. It like we turned into UMass when our special teams unit was on the field. Has anyone asked if the special team has improved? Especially the punting..?

McCloud was at his best against run heavy offenses like Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. We'll still see plenty of traditional 4-3 against those types of teams. The switch to a 4-2-5 is the best news of the spring though. I was beyond frustrated with Diaz last year lining up with three linebackers (one of whom is a severe liability against the pass) against spread teams. With a striker they'll be so much more versatile and won't get stuck trying to sub out the third linebacker for a DB when the opponent is going no huddle.

Advertisement
Doubt we see the striker package too often vs. LSU or Savannah State. But it should be folded in regularly vs. Toledo and becomes even more important in ACC play. Red gets too much hate on here. He'll be okay. Carter better get his assignments down better, or Hall will be #3 by ACC play. People forget how big a commit he was at the time. He could end up having a Deon Bush type freshman year if he can come back healthy.

All in all, wish we had gone for a GT DB like the last two years. But defense should be stout. Gotta love our front 7.

- Kickoff Coverage - Bad
- Punting - Bad
- Punt Coverage - Bad

Last year Specials team was the worse special teams I've ever seen in IDK how long. It like we turned into UMass when our special teams unit was on the field. Has anyone asked if the special team has improved? Especially the punting..?
Special teams is spooky

- Kickoff Coverage - Bad
- Punting - Bad
- Punt Coverage - Bad

We scrimmaged spotting the ball instead of kicking off. Punts were no rush/no return. Place kicker #1 isn’t on campus yet.

Advertisement
Hard hitting insight there coach Madden.
Haha I know but seriously I remember too many games were we played down to the talent level of the other team and did not get big stops. Losing RJ/Norton/Chad/Trent were huge against the run, can they be replaced? We all know Joe Jack/Garvin can rush the passer with the best of them but can they defend the run? TBD.

Nigel Bethel is recovering from a torn hamstring. He has not worked out for several weeks but will begin rehab and workouts this week. He told me on Saturday that he hasn't been informed of a redshirt and is preparing to have a role this year.

Doubt we see the striker package too often vs. LSU or Savannah State. But it should be folded in regularly vs. Toledo and becomes even more important in ACC play.
If I am picking up what you are putting down, you don't think we will use this package against those 2 teams because they are heavy "run" teams. I'm not so sure that will be the case. I think we will see it as our base defense. Keep in mind, the striker position is not to be confused with our nickel package, at least according to Diaz. This striker role allows Diaz to be more creative with his blitz schemes, regardless if it's against the run or pass. I dont think that striker should be viewed as package, but as a position.

Advertisement
Nigel Bethel is recovering from a torn hamstring. He has not worked out for several weeks but will begin rehab and workouts this week. He told me on Saturday that he hasn't been informed of a redshirt and is preparing to have a role this year.

Hopefully that heals properly before practice starts. Didn’t the coaches mention he was an instant impact guy on ST? I could be mis-remembering though.

Either way we need to find a home run hitter to put back there. JT didn’t look comfortable on KR and Berrios fair caught way too many balls.

IMO Redwine has a Rayshawn Jenkins type of Senior year

Need 2-3 corners to step up. My bet is on Bandy, Frierson, and Ivey in that order

Advertisement
Redwine is a backup type once we are back at full capacity, but for the interim while we are building up the depth we could do a lot worse back there.

This season I want to see him start getting his ******* head up for the ball...although that goes for the entire secondary, barring Jaquan.

Great stuff. Hopefully our experienced lb's and safeties can help with the run game. We gave up to many yards last year. I love the striker position with Smith on the field helping with the run and having the speed to cover the slot. We're going to miss Young. He would've been a great combo with Jackson while the freshmen came along, but hopefully one of them or Dean will step up and not get toasted every game.

Overall I think we'll be very good this year, not dominate, but a top 30 D. Not going against any NFL QB's, helps!

Advertisement
Back