Spring Ball 2017: Coach Kool Mic'd Up

Love his demeanor and the way he talks to the players.

He critiques them with a lot of detail and doesn't do it in a belittling/demeaning way. A true teacher not just a "rah rah" guy. He tells the guys exactly what they're doing wrong and how they can fix it but in a calm way that they respect and pay attention to.

I like the part where he's like "it's just a habit, that's all, you'll fix it."

Giving his player constructive/negative criticism one second ("you did this poorly...") but then building him back up with your last statement ("you'll fix it") and showing that you believe in him. ("it's just a habit, you'll fix it")

You can see why kids like playing for this guy.

Yup this

Advertisement
I hope recruits are watching these videos. What kid wouldn't want to play for Kool and the rest of this staff. Man what a difference a couple million dollars can do. That troll Shalala deserves to be deported back to Erebor.

He critiques them with a lot of detail and doesn't do it in a belittling/demeaning way. A true teacher not just a "rah rah" guy. He tells the guys exactly what they're doing wrong and how they can fix it but in a calm way that they respect and pay attention to.

Giving his player constructive/negative criticism one second ("you did this poorly...") but then building him back up with your last statement ("you'll fix it") and showing that you believe in him. ("it's just a habit, you'll fix it")

Came to write all of this. Great stuff. He's a natural teacher. Very reassuring and constructive. Even tone. Authentic.

We're privileged right now. Someone above mentioned how it took a couple millions dollars. Awesome comment because so many people had begged for the University to invest in the program. For a few more million dollars a year in coaching salaries, you'll see better recruits, more wins, higher ticket sales, etc.

There's a reason he got a promotion. Richt doesn't want to lose this man, because his D-lines WILL be the best in the country, and very soon.

Came to write all of this. Great stuff. He's a natural teacher. Very reassuring and constructive. Even tone. Authentic.

We're privileged right now. Someone above mentioned how it took a couple millions dollars. Awesome comment because so many people had begged for the University to invest in the program. For a few more million dollars a year in coaching salaries, you'll see better recruits, more wins, higher ticket sales, etc.

It's why I fully admit I was wrong in judging previous coaches. It's not their fault UM was too cheap to hire someone better, and gave them no budget to work with. No way we get Kool in here without first paying Richt. None of the previous head coaches could possibly go after top assistant coaches, and it wasn't their fault. We got what we paid for.

Advertisement
What ever it takes. IMG_0679.PNG
Keep this guy here as long as possible please

Wouldn't it be nice to have segments like this every day? We know about Kool's success and this provides us insight into exactly how he achieves it.

Advertisement
Agree with this 100%. Love the confident, calm demeanor and without the phony hair-on-fire screaming. He’s actually teaching, zeroing in on the fine points, demanding excellence while connecting with the kids in a real positive tone. Then, you see some of the fire and urgency later in the video during team drills.

That video and Diaz' video were very impressive. Energy without screaming and very technical, detailed coaching.

Advertisement
Anyone notice Joe holding his wrist at the 2:15 mark? Assume it's not serious, considering its only spring and he's practicing, however does appear to be bothering him.

I can't believe I'm writing this but Moten (95) looked good in that video.
He looked good last year in Fall practice, too. I think he's a solid player; just needs to be consistent and finally show up. Hopefully, the $ will call his motivation.

Last edited:
He was talking/coaching up Scott about something he was doing wrong but still was paying attention to Trent who was doing the drill. Wow.

Advertisement
Norton looks like he lost a little bit of his dunlap belly. Also, Martin looks pretty agile. Can't wait to see this DL unleashed this year.

Most DTs don't truly flourish until they're at least 3 years out of HS. Look at some of the recent mega DTs coming out of college like Suh and Fairley. They were fairly dormant until about 3 years after HS.

If a guy like Molten has anything in him you'll see it this year.

Most DTs don't truly flourish until they're at least 3 years out of HS. Look at some of the recent mega DTs coming out of college like Suh and Fairley. They were fairly dormant until about 3 years after HS.

Molten would've had himself a year if not for the shoulder injury.

Molten would've had himself a year if not for the shoulder injury.

I remember last Fall camp coach Kool talking about how Moten had a move (don't remember if it was rip, swim, club, etc.) that could make him millions

Advertisement
Back